PDA

View Full Version : Will run for 5 seconds after startup then die...

jim165
01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
Hello guys
When I start my 89 LX 5 speed up either when it's wet or cold outside, it will start as soon as I turn it over, but it will run for between 5 and 10 seconds and shut off. Then it will just sit there and turn over when I try to restart it. I know it's a fuel issue because I must carry around a gallon of gas to prime the carb to get it to start. What's the problem...fuel filters or fuel pump, or both? In mild or hot weather, it starts and runs super. Great forum, by the way...

jim165
01-16-2004, 01:29 PM
Oh yeah, I guess I'm not getting fuel to the carb by pumping the gas vigorously because it still doesn't start...only when I pour fuel directly into the carb...

Mike's89AccordLX
01-16-2004, 01:34 PM
I would say it's a vacuum leak. I had one of my vaccum caps come off a couple of days ago and it sounds just like you said. I would check for vacuum leaks near the Vacuum Advance Diaphram (near the distributor) and check for leaks on any vac. lines running out of the black box you have in the engine bay.

-Mike

jim165
01-16-2004, 01:51 PM
Hmm...now that you mention that, Mike, I'm hearing a low whistle/howl coming from the front driver's side corner of the car when it idles sometimes. Must be a vacuum leak. I'll check it out. Thanks!

k-roy
01-16-2004, 01:54 PM
A good way to tell if its a vacuum leak is to rev it once you start it. if you can get it above 3,000 rpm and it dies when you let off the gas then you do not have a fuel problem.

jim165
01-16-2004, 01:59 PM
Actually, Kroy, when I do get it to start the first time, I try to rev it sorta high to see if that would help the fuel delivery (since I assumed it was a clogged filter or bad pump), but despite pumping the gas pedal, it will die. It'll rev all the way to redline with no problem, but once that little bit of fuel is burned up, it will quit running and not start back up without priming the carb...

Bronx89lx
01-16-2004, 07:45 PM
take a bottle of starter fuild, spray it around the manifold ,vac lines, and intake manifold gasket. If there is a change in idle then there is a vaccum leak trace it and fix it. if not then it is a fuel prob.

If it is a fuel prob check the primary filter (under the gas tank). CLick the key one turn up and remove the fuel in the engine bay going to the carb to see if fuel is reaching the engine bay.

k-roy
01-17-2004, 01:42 AM
Ok it sounds like a fuel drlivery problem. A easy way to check the pump is to have a buddy help. When the key is inserted and turned to accesory, the position it runs in just before the starter kicks in. Have a buddy turn the key a few times back and forth. Then fold down your rear seat and pull back the carpet. You will see two round covers right behind the rear seat. The drivers side is the fuel pump and the passanger side is the fuel level sender. Put your head over the pump cover and listen. It should humm for 2-3 seconds after the ket is in position #2. If you hear nothing the pump is dead. Also check the fuel pump relay (behind the battery) and the fuel pump fuse before replacing the pump. You should replace the two filters anyways, the first is inside the rear driver's side wheel well. The second is under the hood and between the firewall and the carb. If you do replace the pump be sure to replace the strainer as well, it fits over the end of the pump.

jim165
01-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Cool...I'll take a look this weekend and report back on Tuesday. If the fuel pump IS dead, shouldn't the car not run, technically? Or is the fuel drawn in via vacuum once the car is running? Like I stated before, it runs super once it starts...smooth idle, no stumbling whatsoever...just trying to get it started is the problem! Thanks a lot for the help, guys...

x3r0
01-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Cool...I'll take a look this weekend and report back on Tuesday. If the fuel pump IS dead, shouldn't the car not run, technically? Or is the fuel drawn in via vacuum once the car is running? Like I stated before, it runs super once it starts...smooth idle, no stumbling whatsoever...just trying to get it started is the problem! Thanks a lot for the help, guys...

This problem is so very common with our cars, and I forget who, but someone on here fixed it. If your problem is.
#1 Cold Start, car idles up right for a few seconds but idles really low, smell of gasoline, smoke, and seems to be flooding itself or choking.
#2 Car won't idle up on a cold start, eventualy dies, the only way to restart the car is to hold the gas while turning the starter.

You need to check your Choke Opener on a cold start, its attached to the choke flap with what looks like a lever, u pull it towards you and it should open the choke... now when your car is cold.. that choke opener is suppose to hold the choke open a little bit to let air in, if it does not youl just have too much gas and thats why u smell gas, see smoke.

If your choke opener is not operating.. then the diaphram inside is probably not holding the vacumm, take it off (3 screws holding it on the front of carb) and then take it apart (3 more screws holding front on) and purhaps fix the leak with some silcon (I have some high heat silicon I bought at walmart) and that will probably solve your problem, or you can also buy a new choke opener for $40, i will probably fix mine with $1 silicone :)... I havn't done this yet but I am certain this is the problem, choke opener on my car is definlyt not operating and Im having the identicle problem.

-JT

jim165
01-26-2004, 09:00 AM
Well, I think I might have fixed the startup problem...as well as the running, driving, and owning problem as I managed to total the car this weekend. I was coming down a 3 lane major highway in Dallas in the slow lane while it was raining. I was maintaining about 45 to 50 mph in the mist of the other cars around me when a woman in a Grand Am is stalled in my lane. She sort of appears out of the mist and I hit the brakes to slow down. The rear end locks up and comes around and the carnival ride begins. Amazingly I didn't hit anyone in my immediate vicinity or the lady in the car. I spun around for what seems like 5 times and smacked the concrete retaining wall on the inside lane of the highway head-on :beat: . Immediately after, a minivan stopped just short of t-boning me on the passenger side. Walked away without a scratch and no soreness to this day. Car was crushed pretty good in the front and back but was still running when I regained my bearings. I drove it off of the highway under it's own power (although I probably broke the tie-rods). Well, add yet another 3G to the junkyard. Could've all been avoided had it had anti-lock brakes... :sad2:

Dennis
01-26-2004, 10:35 AM
wow that sucks, glad you're ok

k-roy
01-30-2004, 01:18 AM
Well, I think I might have fixed the startup problem...as well as the running, driving, and owning problem as I managed to total the car this weekend. I was coming down a 3 lane major highway in Dallas in the slow lane while it was raining. I was maintaining about 45 to 50 mph in the mist of the other cars around me when a woman in a Grand Am is stalled in my lane. She sort of appears out of the mist and I hit the brakes to slow down. The rear end locks up and comes around and the carnival ride begins. Amazingly I didn't hit anyone in my immediate vicinity or the lady in the car. I spun around for what seems like 5 times and smacked the concrete retaining wall on the inside lane of the highway head-on :beat: . Immediately after, a minivan stopped just short of t-boning me on the passenger side. Walked away without a scratch and no soreness to this day. Car was crushed pretty good in the front and back but was still running when I regained my bearings. I drove it off of the highway under it's own power (although I probably broke the tie-rods). Well, add yet another 3G to the junkyard. Could've all been avoided had it had anti-lock brakes... :sad2:
That sucks, Im glad you are ok.
And ABS is overrated, it made me roll a car once.

Blkblurr
01-30-2004, 05:08 AM
Are you gonna buy another 3g? I have a 3g, a 5g and a 6g and I like the 3g best.