PDA

View Full Version : Car dies when it's cold out (when I try to start it)

Dennis
01-16-2004, 07:57 PM
My car starts fine in the mornings or when it's been sitting for a while but as soon as it starts the rpms drop from 2,000 to like 400 and then the car sputters and dies. I've seen another post about a vacuum leak or something. If I rev it up at like 2,000-2,500 it'll stay on if I do this for like 30 seconds. I hear a weird sound coming from under the hood, sort of like sucking of air or blowing air or whatever, the noise is pretty loud and it does it all the time. Anyone know what this could be? And if it's the vacuum line leak where is the vacuum line? :cool2: Thanks!

Dennis
01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
:help: please

x3r0
01-20-2004, 06:20 PM
Sounds like the ole' choke opener diaphram or vacumm problem :-)
Check your vacumm hoses around the carb, to do this, I guess you can spray some carb+choke cleaner (from a spray can) around the vacumm tubes and if you hear the engine sound a little different from spraying in a certain spot, thats probably your leak.

Make sure your choke opener is operating properly, when the car starts cold, its suppose to pull the lever to open the choke a little, if it doesn't then your car will not idle properly until your choke thermostat has opened it up enough, which could take 5-30 min depending how cold the area around it is.
Anyways, simply put, make sure your choke isn't closed up when the engine is cold and trying to run, that would just make a strong smell of gas and smoke.