PDA

View Full Version : audio reccomendations for me?

bobafett
05-01-2002, 11:58 PM
i am on a budget, and here is what i have now..most everything is pioneer, except the amp, i have no idea what it is.. (havent looked)

2 10" subs
6x9's in the back (or whatever fits)
6.5s in front??? (dunno, my dad put them in)

there is a puny old amp (100-200 watts rms)

and an OLD school deck whoes laser is worn out, and can hardly play a brand new cd//

now the system sounds pretty good as is, but the cd player i have is weak: 2x30w it "says"...

i am gonna need to replace the cd player, and i was wondering what you guys recomend... mp3 playback is not critical, since i can just burn a shitload of cds if i want that much music... basically i want something that will play loud and NOT SKIP!!! i already have something that sounds ok, and since its all 7 years old, i imagine things wont be worse... but i just want to know what a good bang for the buck cd player would be...

ps, my mom has some sony xplode deck sitting around, but i dont know if its decent.. should i consider throwing it in there???

jclss99
05-02-2002, 07:47 AM
When you say budget, how much are we talking? That and which components or the system are no longer any good? if only the HU is bad you can replace that and be ok I suppose. Beyond that, let us know where your system is lacking and we can help ya further (like not enough bass, mid or high etc...) My last Sony (Xplod) was alright as far as skipping, but not overly great about it by any means. On the plus side, the tuner in that thing was amazing lol it brought up FM channels almost immediately, and when scanning was only slightly slower.

That was really nice, but more recently I've gotten away from radio altogether in favor of CD's and mp3's for the sake of sound quality. Then again, in rural GA there isn't much on the stations =/ back in metro areas of OH I used to be on the radio like 24/7 when driving, much better selection.

My old Alpine was great at not skipping, and my current Clarion is good about it as well. It was a long time back, but I believe my Kenwood was decent about it. Of all of my HU's, my Sony was the worst about skipping unfortunately. All of those were the mid range of the CD player lines. Like around $300 each, besides the Clarion, that one was the best they had. It also cost the same as the other 3 HU's put together (and I had to buy an External amp for it as well.)

As far as SQ between thses HU's, I really couldn't say as I have changed my speakers quite a few times as well. Though the Clarion is extreamly loud and perfectly clear at high levels, it does have the external RF400.4 amp which would obviously be louder than any HU with a built in amp.

Now that I think about it, does anyone know of any HU's that have like ESP built it like the walkmans have? That would just make sense haha it'd only need like 5 sec of protection or 10 sec as most don't skip unless you hit a pothole anymore.

bobafett
05-02-2002, 09:32 AM
well i would like to stay around 300 or less for the HU, and everything else is fine (to my tone deaf ears!) it is clear and loud enough for me.... i just cant handle the skipping... i can be driving on the freeway, and it wont play a brand new cd..

i am by no means an audiophile, i just want something that is clear when loud... i have PLENTY of bass for my liking, and since i listen to system of a down kinds of music, i dont really need a ton... hehe

i dont care about radio reception at ALL, i will be listening to cdrs, and maybe mp3s, if i decide its worth it...

i might just build an mp3 computer if i dont bother with an mp3 playing HU...

also, where do you guys reccomend shopping for this stuff.

TeKKnoTeKK
05-04-2002, 11:17 PM
JVC all the way man....they make way reliable, high powered decks for cheap and they sound great. Infact JVC is what my last 2 or 3 decks were and I never had a problem with them. I bet if you check on ebay you could find a new one for 100$ or so.

shepherd79
05-05-2002, 12:30 PM
I recomend Alpine. I had JVC and i didn't like it. it didn't have anough power. I got my alpine cdm-7871 on ebay for $175. i would recoment to change the speakers too, who knows how long those speakers where there, plus you will be getting HU with a lot more power. You can get alpine speakers cheap. I found a very good deals on ebay all the time.
Just need to keep looking.