PDA

View Full Version : alternator shot again after 1 month

johnwc723
01-16-2004, 10:43 PM
hey guys i just had the dead battery fourm

well anways i have determined my alternator is shot about a month after i got it and installed it, WHY IS THIS HAPPENING?!?! my battery is slightly old and has seen a few too many full discharges but does that make a difference? let me know from your experiences guys as i dont want to have to spend another $100 more than i have to :(
THANKS!
john

Not like a rock
01-16-2004, 11:21 PM
Mine went earlier in the week right after I drove through some huge massive puddles. I'm starting to think that the alternator might be a weak point in the accord because I've gone through 4 of them in 6 years in two different 3geez. Neither car even has an aftermarket stereo so it isn't like they are under unusual pressure.

Your whole alt. might not be shot, though. Try replacing the brushes and the voltage regulator (or do I mean voltage converter? The piece that comes out when you remove the brushes).

x3r0
01-20-2004, 06:25 PM
Those who do not charge their batteries fully before putting in a new alternator may expierence future problems :-) serious problems sometimes.

The alternator, well mostly put in our cars, are not designed to charge a battery thats drained, it causes too much stress and can cause a new alternator to quickly go bad. Thats why its important, and is a known practice to charge the battery fully b4 operating the new alternator.

Wouldn't it be funny if you kept forgetting to fully charge your battery and kept having to replace your alternator? hehe I think it is. My alternator lasted 200,000 miles, replaced it, and now im at 230,000 miles. These things apparently are suppose to last quite a long time, so I wouldn't call them weak, but they certainly are a bitch to get on and get off, well not for me, i learned a few tricks for it.
-JT

johnwc723
01-20-2004, 07:35 PM
yeah, i will try to never let my battery die again if i can help it!! (damn lights ! heh it should be easy to tell if they are on lol)

1988starter
01-20-2004, 07:37 PM
My advanced auto parts one only lasted a month (life time warentys kick ass)

Side not in another post I think I said it was an autozone alternator it was not it was advanced auto parts