PDA

View Full Version : oil pan drain plug stuck in

mykwikcoupe
01-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Yep the oil pan drain plug wont come out. It turns and you can feel it get tighter and then looser but never starts to unthread. Worst part is its time for the oil change. Do you think its the plug thats stripped or the pan?? Whats the easiest fix. I havent tried applying pressure from a screwdriver prying out while trying to unscrew it yet but thats all I can think of. Anyone know of anything else that doesnt require the pan to be taken out or drilled?

PortugalFocus
01-17-2004, 06:15 AM
Try taking the next size smaller socket and hammering it on, then try to turn it off. This should be a last resort only. Spray WD-40 on it another option is heat it up with a torch, if your pan is steel and the plug is aluminum they plug will cool faster than the pan and become smaller while the pan is still hot and will stay expanded. then you should be able to wiggle the plug free.

These are ghetto back yard triks so only use them as a last resort. Or it could be you first choise depening on how you work on cars :)

DBMaster
01-17-2004, 08:51 AM
Also, you can try using a vice grip or "Robo grip" on the plug so you can pull downward while loosening. You are probably going to have to replace the plug, anyway. If it is the pan that is stripped you can purchase special, slightly oversized, self threading plugs designed specifically for this purpose. If it is the plug that is stripped it is easy to replace. I am using a Fram "Sure Drain" in place of my oil plug. It sure makes it neat and easy to change the oil! They are available at Wal Mart and most auto parts stores for $12.

smufguy
01-17-2004, 08:41 PM
like mentioned, the threads are most probably fucked up. I dont know if u can retap the threads. Sounds to me you are in need of a new oil pan. If you can find any other way to fix it good, i mean GOOD. give us a heads up. :cool2:

nswst8
01-17-2004, 08:59 PM
Yes they do make these and thy can save you in a pinch, Retapping our oil pan would be luck at best, hela coil won't do the job here. the best thing to do would be to retack another fine threaded nut to the current fitting and make sure you don't overtighten any more.
You need to try a spin it off with a impact would be easiest, use a screw driver to apply pressure to the bolt while your turning the bolt out.
Try the universal at most autoparts stores.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

DBMaster
01-18-2004, 01:09 PM
Like I said, if it is the oil pan threads that are stripped the oversized plug will do the trick. A long time ago one of my good friends actually dented the front of the oil pan of his 68 Firebird on a speed bump. There was not a plug that would work because the washer seating surface was bent. He got a thing like looked like a heavy rubber balloon. It came with a plastic tool that you use to push the thing into the drain hole. When you removed the tool the thing snapped back into shape and sealed the hole. To get it out you pushed the tool back in and pulled the collar on the outside. The thing worked great and was a lot cheaper than a new oil pan.

As long as you have a flat surface for a sealing washer you can find a plug that will work. Personally, I use plastic washers rather than the factory metal type. I put one on my Accord after its first oil change in 1989. 212,000 miles later I'm still using the same washer - no leaks.

rdn
01-19-2004, 06:53 AM
why don't you try one of those electrical oil drainers....that you stick into the oil stick and connect to the lighter....they work great....(and are cheap too)

TINBOAT
01-19-2004, 07:16 AM
...stick a screwdriver under the head of the bolt while turning it to get it out, usually it's the plug threads that are galled up (the plugs are made from softer metal), you can try to chase the threads with a tap, or go slightly bigger with the tap, and use a larger diameter bolt for the plug...or get a self tapping replacement plug....dont fool around with it, since it's gonna leak (if it doesnt already), and it will leak more when the oil heats up and thins out, which occurs while yer driving the car...not a good thing.
Good luck !!!

mykwikcoupe
01-19-2004, 09:26 AM
I got it out and the threads on the plug were all bunged up. the threads in the pan didnt look great but were usable. I used the plug off the engine in the garage to seal it up. We ended up having to use a suspension tuning fork tool to apply equal pressure to both sides of the plug. The screwdriver didnt work. i tried alot.

Thanks for the help. ill try to retap it during the next oil change

Oh and TINBOAT do you have CBX by chance