PDA

View Full Version : konis raised the car?

mykwikcoupe
01-16-2004, 10:49 PM
OK so i installed konis on the coupe with the sprints and now the front sits like an inch higher than it did witht he KYBs. Will they settle a little as time goes on and how long will that be? Also will the stop bouncing so much. Its not a bad ride at all but I could stand a little less bounce. Its just a small bounce, just enough to notice. thanks

AZmike
01-17-2004, 12:48 PM
Did you compare the spring perches on the two struts before the swap? Are you sure that the Koni perch isn't installed upsidedown? What did you set the rebound damping to when you installed them? The fronts have 2.25 turns of adjustment. One turn from full soft works well with my H&Rs. If you're willing to pull both dampers again you can easily increase the rebound damping and which should reduce your bounce.

mykwikcoupe
01-17-2004, 11:47 PM
they are currently adjusted to full firm. I didnt think of checking the perch height. Thanks. The rear sits ok now but the fronts are a good inch higher. looks kinda off. Just as a quick check could someone draw a pic of how the strut/spring assembly is supposed to look when done without the dust cover on so i can compare. Iam 99% sure i did it right but just to make positive sure

RobT5580
01-18-2004, 09:21 AM
Sorry Mike i totally forgot about that. The perches can be flipped over im not sure which way they are meant to go but i know most of us have them upside down. The rears also have that movable clip which should stay on the lower ring but i dont remember which way the perch was on the rear i know the front was upside down for sure.

mykwikcoupe
01-18-2004, 09:29 PM
so you mean that I may have actuallt installed them wrong?? The rear is at the proper height maybe a little lower but the front is almost about right as far as height. How come it rides like ass though??

It bounces everywhere especially over small bumps like regular road driving. It takes the larger bumps ike sewer caps and such and pothole great.

buish
01-19-2004, 01:01 AM
goto koni's site. they have like a technical manual, about install. i downloaded it at work and printed it out. i can't seem to find it right now, but check the koni site.

AZmike
01-19-2004, 05:53 PM
The perch should extend downward past the clip that holds it in position, giving the spring a little extra room. I can take a picture if you really need one. If the perch was installed pointing up it would add about 1 inch, that's why I asked.

Is there a specific reason that you chose your rebound setting? You may want to email Gordon at Koni [email protected] with your spring rates and see what setting he recommends. Are you sure that you were adjusting them correctly? It's been so long I forgot which way increases the rebond damping. By setting the adjustment to both maximums and extending it by hand it's easy to see which may makes it stiffer and which way makes it softer.

mykwikcoupe
01-19-2004, 06:06 PM
yep the perches are installed that way. i even made an extra look to make sure.

I asked Jim about the rebound settings. he said about 3/4 or so But I figured I could always set them a little tighter and go from there. Ill say that the ride i got from the KYBs was better than what i have now. Could it be the struts are too tight.

I followed the instructions to tighten them. Pust the rod all the way down and turn. There is a couple marks on the top of the chamber to alogn with for a certain setting.

Ill try Gordon and ask Him. He was cool as hell when i asked about custom work for them

mykwikcoupe
01-21-2004, 09:43 PM
so i contacted gordan at koni and once again he is the shit. i had it way too stiff. For future reference the front is 1 complete turn and the rear is 1/2 of a turn from full soft. It rides alot better now. Rides more like stock only you can feel the road. Id reccomed it now. :cool: