PDA

View Full Version : Oil level

jlaccord89lxi
01-17-2004, 05:21 AM
I did an oil change on Sunday and now i've noticed that it is a little high. It is about 2-3 millimeters ( 1/8th inch) above the top circle on the dipstick. Is this bad? What kind of damage could potentially happen? To fix this can i just loosen the drain plug and let a little oil drain out? :help:

k-roy
01-17-2004, 05:40 AM
You should be fine. you can drain a little out if you want.

jlaccord89lxi
01-17-2004, 05:45 AM
ok, i just didn't want to have to drain the whole thing again...i don't know why i thought that. Someone had told me before that with too much oil in the engine, bubbles would form and cause trouble. I think i will attempt to drain a little out tomorrow, just for my own piece-of-mind. Thanks Kroy.

nswst8
01-17-2004, 07:08 AM
I run a 10 oz additive (Lubeguard) for the last 120,000 miles it always runs above the max fill line. No problems to date. Just don't add an extra quart.
Hope this helps, LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

DBMaster
01-17-2004, 08:47 AM
I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Bloodlust
01-17-2004, 08:55 AM
Don't worry about it.

jlaccord89lxi
01-17-2004, 11:15 AM
well if thats the concensus, then i won't waste my time. Chances are, it may burn a little anyway...i know thats not good either, but it'll save me adding in more later HAHA!

dXsquared
01-17-2004, 11:25 AM
yah man... between the dots is 1 liter.. so if your that much over.. its like an 1/8th of a liter

Travis

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-17-2004, 06:42 PM
ok, i just didn't want to have to drain the whole thing again...i don't know why i thought that. Someone had told me before that with too much oil in the engine, bubbles would form and cause trouble. I think i will attempt to drain a little out tomorrow, just for my own piece-of-mind. Thanks Kroy.

The only time you would get bubbles in the oil is when it starts foaming. This happens due to an overly high oil level in the oil pan. The moving parts contact the oil and beat it into a milshake consistency. When this substance is then forced through your engine, it's lubricative qualities are not good at all. In turn, that causes oil starvation and damages the engine. Generally, overfilling the engine oil may cause your crankshaft seal and many other seals to be pressed out by the increased pressure inside the engine. 2-3mm over the full mark won't hurt anything. My mechanic once overfilled the engine by a whole quart. After getting home I checked the oil and syphoned it out through the dipstick tube. That was the last time the mechanic touched my car. :gun: If you are really concerned about it, you could just take some clear tubing of appropriate diameter and force it down into the oil pan, then syphon out the required amount of oil.

Hope this helps.

jlaccord89lxi
01-18-2004, 12:12 PM
i drained some out today anyway. When i got home this morning and checked the oil level once the engine was warm, it was WAY above the top circle. I drained some out and i'll top it up again when the engine is nice and cool.

lightbulblxi
01-18-2004, 01:33 PM
didnt kno too much oil could hurt.........

Neuspeed87lx
01-18-2004, 07:47 PM
yes too much oil can hurt .... but it dosent sound like he put to much in .... you will be fine with it a little overfilled .... how many quarts did you put in ?

jlaccord89lxi
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
i don't really measure it as i put it in. I just pour some in and keep checking the dipstick. went a little overboard this time though. I drained some, so i'm fine now.