PDA

View Full Version : Slack in Tranny

JohnnyFonz
01-17-2004, 09:38 AM
While driving and shifting, I get a jolt everytime I let off or apply gas quickly, and while shifting. It feels as if there is slack somewhere in the tranny or axels.
What could be wrong?

smufguy
01-17-2004, 08:36 PM
Is the whole car jerking only when the car is running. Or does the whole car kinda shake while the car idles.

This could be due to a bad motor mounts. Heard that the Front Fluid filled ones are the ones to go bad real soon.

Check your ball joints too. I tihnk my tie rods are not that good.

The jolts you are talking about are 80% suspension related. and those inclue pretty much everything from the upper and lower balljoints to the tie rods, and the suspension forks, to the motor mounts.

JohnnyFonz
01-18-2004, 02:55 PM
The jerking only happens when driving, not idling.
I own an AWD Stealth, and its common to have a similar problem, though thats with a worn output shaft to a transfer case.
It feels very similar.
I know ball joints are mint, i've checked or replaced all of them. Both tie rod ends are new.
Motor mounts are a possibility, I will check those.
Thanks for your suggestions.

smufguy
01-18-2004, 06:53 PM
not a problem. But our trannys hold up a longer than the engine or the car itself. If you have an Auto its a different story.

I would love to see the pictures of your Stealth. Do post some on the offtopic. I have a friend at school who built his stealth (TT of course) but spun out and crashed on the tracks. now he got another one from this dude in Texas, He also owns a NA stealth and man..... i love em. The first time i ever saw those cars was in the show KungFu on TNT a long time back. The blue one. man. these cars are hot.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-19-2004, 03:51 PM
I have the exact same problem. Any time you switch between acceleration or decelration with the engine, you experience a jerk/clunk. As far as I can tell, it is probably clutch related. After messing around the tranny area quiet a bit, it seems that the clunk is originating in the bell housing. In addition, if you car has less than 150K miles, the chances of getting major wear in the mechanical transmission are slim. Also, if it was the differential making the noise, it would be deadened out by the surrounding oil and aluminum. (on my car the noise is metallic and pretty distinugishable) So far the car has 121K miles and no problems with tranny(knock on wood). Has your clutch been changed recently? Misalignment or a worn pressure plate could also cause this condition.

JohnnyFonz
01-19-2004, 05:15 PM
Matter of fact, the clutch is relatively new.
Car has 160K on it, but the previous owner told me the clutch was replaced near 150.
Any way it can be fixed? Should I think about re-installing the clutch and resurfacing the flywheel?
Thanks.

danronian
01-20-2004, 08:28 AM
Just check the engine mounts first b/c mine makes a clunking noise just like yours and I am sure the mounts have alot of play. As soon as I get paid I need to get them replaced. Mine are so bad that I can move the engine around my pulling on it with the car on the ground and no supports under the engine, and mine only has 160K mi. on it.