PDA

View Full Version : Aw Crap!!

NXRacer
01-17-2004, 08:16 PM
well, the motor went in today, but with a hitch. First i went to get a motor mount from the junk yard, bring it home only to find out its the wrong one!?!? Why are there 2 front motor mounts for these cars??

Anyway, i FINALLY got the right one, got the motor in the engine bay and i couldnt get things lined up. The driver side mount didnt wanna line up right, so i finally unbolted the front mount, got the side mount bolted up, only to find this......
http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/usr/2538/mount1.jpg
http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/usr/2538/mount2.jpg
the mount is about 1/2-3/4 of an inch off. WHAT THE FUCK. has anybody had this problem before? Any ideas as to what may be wrong? Im thinking my frame may be bent (it has been in an accident) but the other motor/mount wasnt off. It was torn in half, but i thought that was because of all that horsepower i was pushing....:rolleyes:

and just for shits and giggles i thought i'd throw a pic in of the new motor in the car....
http://www.savepic.com/freepicturehosting/usr/2538/motor.jpg

Vinny
01-17-2004, 08:32 PM
May not be the frame caleb in may be the front mount support. Its bolt on. I need to change mine out after I get in and have the frame checked to see what else may be wrong with mine (other than the lower radiator support) Anyways hopefully thats what the problem is and it's afairly eay fix if so. Dunno what prices run there but here they only want 25 bucks for the piece

NXRacer
01-17-2004, 09:04 PM
so you think i need to change out the lower support?? that shit's gonna be hella hard to find because all the 3g's in the yard i went to were in a front end wreck......i was thinking about just mickey mousing it and tack welding the mount the support.....if i need to change out the mount later down the road i'll just grind off the welds....

lightbulblxi
01-18-2004, 09:03 PM
that sux, what a waste of time, huh.

nswst8
01-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Look for the lower rail, don't cut corners at this time. IF THE REST OF THE engine seems to line up you might get away with it for a short time.
I had a similar problem with another car of mine, minor front end damage x3
dealer could never get it right after repeated tries.

Finally found a hole in the wall shop tweaked it for $150 including aligment and it ran perfect.

good luck.
NSWST8 :cheers:

NXRacer
01-19-2004, 08:08 AM
what if i were to just drill through the support and put a couple bolts throught it? Would that work? I really need to start driving this stupid POS.

shepherd79
01-19-2004, 08:22 AM
i don't understand how it can't lined up. the front engine mount is the same on auto or manual. if you just swaped the 5 speed. make sure you change the rear mount.
the rear mount is diff.

NXRacer
01-19-2004, 08:40 AM
nothing is different except i put a new motor in. THATS ALL.

NXRacer
01-19-2004, 02:48 PM
help!! Im seriously thinking about going out tonight and just drilling new holes in the SOB. It'll hold at least until i get the new motor ready to go in.

NXRacer
01-19-2004, 09:45 PM
IM A FACKING MORON......geez,sometimes i wonder about my choice to work on imports. i figured it out. My frame wasnt bent. My motor fit just fine. I just figured out that i had to loosen up all the motor mounts and then get it all lines up. Even then it still needed some coaxing to line up right, but its in now.

I almost had all the stuff hooked up, but my girl was feeling pretty sick tonight and she had to watch her niece, so i left to go help her. I'm gonna go up this week again and work on it some more and hopefully it'll be running soon.

My only problem i forsee is timing. I had to pull my distributor out so i know its not timed anymore. I dont think i have a timing light either. Oh well, i'll cross that bridge when i come to it.

ryan88lxi
01-19-2004, 09:52 PM
exact same thing happened to me. mine broke in half at the drags. i got the old one out and had to wedge the new one in (hard!) and it was about a half inch off. i jacked the engine up and did a little hammering to get the bolts through both holes then tightened it down from there. fun stuff!