PDA

View Full Version : 4 Cylinder Dual Exhaust -- How to ?

Hondaguy123
01-17-2004, 08:37 PM
Before anyone says "it creates to much back pressure" or that B.S. let me just say this I going to have it done no matter what So what is required in order to have dual exhaust (Obviously 2 exhausts but what else. From the engine to the back end. :jaw:

zero.counter
01-17-2004, 08:47 PM
Visit Jegs.com and get all of the piping. Then you can custom fit everything.

Bioforge
01-17-2004, 09:18 PM
it will run ya about 500 if you get it done at a race shop like I did, trust me, its worth it...looks damn nice too! as far as what is needed, piping, and a guy that can bend and weld like there is no tomorrow.

smufguy
01-17-2004, 09:40 PM
you need a y splitter for the muffler exits. But the problem is gonna be making a dual exhaust for a car without a dual set up. I wanna see hwo the set up is, i need a pic to take a look at. the only guy with a dual exhaust set up was Dark honda. i wonder how the pipes look like in the back.

k-roy
01-18-2004, 07:00 AM
do a search for "I like big butts and I can not lie"

A20A1
01-18-2004, 12:18 PM
Grab some 1.625" (1-5/8) Pipes (straight and pre-bent pieces)

-------
Are you making it a header back dual exhaust?

Do you plan to keep the catalytic convertor?

Do you have a header already?

If you still have the stock LX-I manifold you could weld on new 1-5/8" pipes from the flange on the header and build the duals from there.

Other wise I think I suggested this diagram before.
http://www.3geez.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4449

Basicly you cut off the Y pipe on the stock manifold and weld on a 1.625-1.75" X pipe.
The Y pipe is at the end of the stock header secondary pipes.
I'm thinking you should also change the secondary pipes to 1-5/8" unless you get a pacesetter or DC header. Secondary pipes are the "2-1" segment in a 4-2-1 header.

Only trouble is you'll need to find a good spot to add in a flex joint or flex joints.

and also you need to find a spot to add in your muffler(s)

smufguy
01-18-2004, 06:46 PM
i wanna know how they run the exhaust tubes from the header or cat back. Now thats a fun task to tackle. With already low floor pan, i wonder how this dual set up, i mean the RIGHT dual exhaust set up, would be possible. I would just split it from the rear axle back but do know, ur in for a lot of fun. hehehe

A20A1
01-18-2004, 06:57 PM
Two 1.625" pipes should fit where the stock exhaust went. If it doesn't fit directly side by side to eachother then run the pipes offset so it does fit. Only trouble is around the gas tank... You don't want to run the pipe right up against the tank.

Also you'll have uneven lengths for each exhaust pipe, so that might cause some trouble with exhuast flow, but the X pipe should help even things out.

Justin86
01-18-2004, 08:02 PM
run 2.25" back to the gas tank, then have a Y pipe and run like 2" back to each muffler. If you have a body kit and one with the cut out for dual it would look best.

soljaboy2000
01-18-2004, 10:54 PM
just put two mufflers side by side. i've seen a lot of ricers do it

smufguy
01-19-2004, 09:30 AM
just put two mufflers side by side. i've seen a lot of ricers do it
:tongue: :rofl: :kekeke:

carotman
01-19-2004, 02:37 PM
I think you should spend your money on something that will really increase performance and not increase your attention over cops.

Justin86
01-19-2004, 05:02 PM
I think you should spend your money on something that will really increase performance and not increase your attention over cops.

Yea this is mostly an apperance mods and you will see a increase over stock, but I would rather save my money.

DigitaLuminescence
01-19-2004, 06:42 PM

Yea this is mostly an apperance mods and you will see a increase over stock, but I would rather save my money.
It sounds like he's going to do it anyway, guys. I admit dual exhaust is quite nice, but I don't really want to cut into my bumper. If you already have the modded rear bumper then I say go for it. Just don't get those gigantic crappy APC mufflers that sound like shit. Try smaller APEX'i, HKS, or GReddy mufflers if you've got the money, and get silencers and a high flow catalytic converter.

Justin86
01-19-2004, 07:13 PM
or.... flowmaster & dynomax with a tip to make it look more stock.

smufguy
01-19-2004, 09:16 PM
Before anyone says "it creates to much back pressure" or that B.S. let me just say this I going to have it done no matter what So what is required in order to have dual exhaust (Obviously 2 exhausts but what else. From the engine to the back end.

Good luck convincing him. Sounds like he got a lotta money huh?

carotman
01-20-2004, 05:29 AM
nah, I'm not trying to convince anybody... just giving advice :D I gave up a long time ago convincing people not to do things.

smufguy
01-20-2004, 07:47 AM
stock pipe is around 1.78" if i am not mistaken. And going 1.5" is just a pure waste. I dont know what benefit u get out of it, but i guess there are two 1.5" pipes and they should do something i hope. :o

A20A1
01-20-2004, 03:08 PM
Stock is 1.75"
Anyways you're right about the 1.5... I changed it cause adapting it to a pacesetter or DC header would add a kink where it shouldn't be... but for a stock manifold it might be okay.

1.625 I think is the size of pacesetter and DC sports header pipes so adding duals off the header will make things easy. If the secondaries are larger then get larger pipes to match.

You might gain a little more with pipes larger then the size of the secondary tubes when making duals from the header but you want to keep as much velocity as you can. Also you'll add a step when you go from 1.625 to 1.75 or 1.75 to 2.0... whichever is the case... so that should help.

smufguy
01-21-2004, 08:26 AM
ahhhh i seee it now :D thanks mike