PDA

View Full Version : Car Started On Fire!!!

johnwc723
01-17-2004, 10:44 PM
this is the craziest thing that has ever happened to me it kinda sucks and is kinda funny at the same time:

my friend gave me a call and said that his battery was dead and needed me to go and jump him. well earlier today i replaced my alternator and i blew the fuse (the non standard screw down "battery" 70amp one) all the places were closed that carry those types of fuses so i put a wire between it and screwed it down

this is was caused it, i figure that because the wire was kinda crappy while i was driving the resistance in the wire caused it to melt and start a small plastic fire that grew.

all my fuses are a little burnt looking but the car still runs fine, i put a HQ piece of metal in there now so it shouldnt happen again till i get the real thing tomrrow :)

well this should be a lesson to you guys always if you are gonna do that use GOOD METAL!!

and does anyone that has a parts car have a fuse box cover and the smaller cover that they would be willing to sell me ?
thanks guys

soljaboy2000
01-17-2004, 11:05 PM
Hey speaking of that I hooked up a isolator to my car so it can charge two batteries, the other batt is for my sound system. Anyways it required for me to extend the B+ wire coming from the alternator with 8guage wire i believe, so I used the power wire that are use for amplifiers since it was in many guages and easily accesible. Well now that wire is turning black and show signs of melting so I wondering where can I find the insulated copper wire that is originally used on the alternator B+ terminal. I dont think my current wire is going last any longer so I keep a fire extingusher near by.

AccordEpicenter
01-18-2004, 09:45 AM
go to 4 gauge and get a rewound alt... how much power are you running anyway? I got away with running about 1300wrms with a 140 amp rewound alt on the stock batt, no caps and it didnt dim any at all.

soljaboy2000
01-18-2004, 01:24 PM
What the hell is a rewound alt and where can I get one? I running about 1600watts

SteveDX89
01-18-2004, 01:34 PM
That's why you don't replace a fuse with wire. Fuses are meant to keep electrical fires from starting.

johnwc723
01-18-2004, 02:21 PM
the fuse would have prevented it simply because it can conduct more electricity.... i put a paperclip in there and it did just fine, i dont know why i didnt do it to begin with, but i did get a new fuse and now its all legit again

88 Accord DX
01-18-2004, 02:23 PM
well the purpose of fuses is so that nothing catches on fire. take away a fuse and you have fire.

SteveDX89
01-18-2004, 02:39 PM
the fuse would have prevented it simply because it can conduct more electricity.... i put a paperclip in there and it did just fine, i dont know why i didnt do it to begin with, but i did get a new fuse and now its all legit again

The fuse would have prevented it because it would have blown or else you used a really thin piece of wire. Either way, it wasn't the brightest idea but it's good to hear that everything is good now.

johnwc723
01-18-2004, 02:50 PM
when ya gotta use your car ya gotta use your car...