PDA

View Full Version : No Vacuum @ Choke Opener

geofstan
01-18-2004, 09:56 AM
For some reason I am not getting NO vacuum at the choke opener or fast idle unloader when I start the engine, I have just fitted a new thermovalve so that eliminates that does anybody no what could be causing this, I would appreciate any help....Thanks

x3r0
01-19-2004, 08:24 AM
For some reason I am not getting NO vacuum at the choke opener or fast idle unloader when I start the engine, I have just fitted a new thermovalve so that eliminates that does anybody no what could be causing this, I would appreciate any help....Thanks

Seems to be an overwhelmingly common problem on our cars, I choke opener may have a hole in the diaphram.. it comes off with screws... purhaps buy a new one fo r40 or repair waht u have with some silocon or something... well i will attemp that but my scres are stripped.

geofstan
01-19-2004, 07:16 PM
I have already repaired the choke opener but when I put a vacuum gauge on hoses #26 & 18 I get no vacuum reading at all.

locknload68
01-19-2004, 08:34 PM
I have already repaired the choke opener but when I put a vacuum gauge on hoses #26 & 18 I get no vacuum reading at all.

Try taking the opener off and checking for vacuum at the internal passage where it gets its vacuum.

geofstan
01-20-2004, 05:56 PM
so does that mean hoses 26 & 18 don't actually draw the vacuum themselves and all the vacuum comes from the internal passage? So if the choke opener isn't repaired properly it won't create any vacuum to the fast idle unloader? Hope this makes sense

A20A1
01-21-2004, 12:01 PM
#26 goes to a solenoid that leaks vacuum when you crank the ignition... I guess that keeps the choke opener from holding vacuum which in turn keeps the choke closed.

locknload68
01-21-2004, 02:37 PM
so does that mean hoses 26 & 18 don't actually draw the vacuum themselves and all the vacuum comes from the internal passage? So if the choke opener isn't repaired properly it won't create any vacuum to the fast idle unloader? Hope this makes sense

Yes, what you said here is correct. It took me the longest time to understand how the whole system works.

geofstan
01-21-2004, 06:37 PM
ok its all making sense now :cheers: , but one last question (for now anyway) as you are looking at the choke opener from the front of the car should the #26 hose be closest to you or furthest away as mine seems to be connected differently than the diagram.

x3r0
01-21-2004, 07:48 PM
You can use a paper clip to hold the lever connected to the choke opener so the choke is always open a little, so you dont have cold start-warming up problmes in the morning :-) Thats what I did until I get my weber.

locknload68
01-22-2004, 02:51 PM
ok its all making sense now :cheers: , but one last question (for now anyway) as you are looking at the choke opener from the front of the car should the #26 hose be closest to you or furthest away as mine seems to be connected differently than the diagram.

Hose 26 should be the farther one. 18 is the closer one.