PDA

View Full Version : Transmisson Swap

Techno
01-18-2004, 12:45 PM
I need some really good advice for a transmisson swap. I have an 86 LX manual and the transmisson that I have is worn out. I thought that since I am going to replace the Tranny, that I would upgrade it with one of the swaps. I just cant decide which one to do.
The way that I see it there are two trannys that are good. one is the prelude tranny and the other is the integra tranny. What are the pro's and cons of each? Someone please help :help:

Techno

dXsquared
01-18-2004, 12:54 PM
prelude bolts in and is perfect.. integra is a pain and its a waste of time for a street car

Travis

Techno
01-18-2004, 12:58 PM
So the Prelude Tranny fits everywhere? Do the axles fit the splines?

Techno

k-roy
01-18-2004, 01:45 PM
prelude bolts in and is perfect.. integra is a pain and its a waste of time for a street car
Travis
Having the ability to install a aftermarket LSD with the swap makes it worth it. Sure it may be a pain in the ass. The Integra tranny is from the 86-89 Teg only. It sounds like a lot of work. Check the howto section, there is an article on it.

89accordex
01-27-2004, 04:31 PM
If you use the prelude tranny you have to use the prelude clutch and flywheel too i was gonna do this and then went with a fuel injected accord tranny instead.

Rendon LX-i
01-27-2004, 04:39 PM
does the lude tranny better the are accord trannys. i didnt know that prelude trannys bolt right on. what year? better gear ratio or what? thats cool.

89accordex
01-27-2004, 05:31 PM
Not sure what the gear ratio would be but i'm guessing the lude would have better gearing i've been looking online for a honda gear ratio chart and can't find anything if anyone knows of one please post a link.

Sherlock87LXI
01-27-2004, 05:42 PM
I always assumed that my tranny that just blew out was a prelude 91 tranny but i cant find the numbers.
Speedo said 81 and i was going 70. Thats one messed up gear set. hehe.
I'm just gonna swap an 86 LX tranny off of a wrecker if i can get 150$. 10 days and here we come!
For you I would say I HAVE NO IDEA. If it was a prelude tranny in my car... it was an automatik. (Do they even come in autos?) But My friends and I could tell its wasnt a stock tranny. It shifted to fast and smooth. Just going off what i was told. But i ran it into the ground. Icey weather does that to a person. Sue me. I was having fun. LOL.

89accordex
01-27-2004, 05:48 PM
yeah preludes do come in auto one of my friends had one a while back.

Sherlock87LXI
01-27-2004, 05:54 PM
I still need to look under the car or wherever the code is to see the tranny number. dont know where to look.
AND Ill look when the 1.5 feet of snow melts... erm...
I HATE IDAHO

shepherd79
01-27-2004, 06:29 PM
prelude tranny has closer gear ratio. it is good for acceleration, but it is bad for your gas mileage over all.
using prelude flywheel will result in faster revs because the flywheel is lighter. i believe it is lighter by a few pounds.

Sherlock87LXI
01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
That would also explain only getting 18 MPG. Stupid me. maybe that will get better later then. Gonna but a 5 spd tranny in it soon.
but good to know that info.