PDA

View Full Version : Heating Up

dub88acc
01-18-2004, 04:50 PM
I have an 88 accoed lx and only when the car heats up is when it leaks antifreeze. i pour antifreeze into the radiator cap once it cools down. but the next day iwas driving then suddenly it heated up all the way to the H :jaw: i got scared and pulled over. is it right to turn on the ac if your car heats up? oh and what could be the solution to my leaking?? :rolleyes:

'A20A3'
01-18-2004, 04:58 PM
No, never turn your A/C on. If you were going to turn anything on it would be the heat, but that wouldn't do much.

The reason your car only leaks when it's warm is because the cooling system is under pressure then. The best guess as to why you're leaking coolant is probably a pin-sized hole in one or more of your hoses. Check it out, you should see it spraying when your car is warmed up. I had the same problem with mine a couple of months ago but I fixed it.

Good luck.

nswst8
01-18-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey my friend your were right not to drive it, sounds like your thermastat is stuck in the closed position. You could Blow your Head gasket, $1200

It needs to be changed, but I highly recommend using OEM honda thermastat, aftermarkets in my opinion should only be used by someone who can catch a faulty thermastat.

Otherwise the only other one that I would recommend is a "FailSafe" by Motorad if they fail its in the open position.

If you are from Florida, mineral content in water is high can cause premature failure in the cooling system make sure you flush the system extremely well, I would recommend doing this with the thermastat out so the radiator flush cycles throught the cooling system at start up.

Run car until it reaches operating temp, shut off let it cool down drain and then repeat this process with fresh water. I would repeat one more time just to thin chemical flush.

refill with Distilled H2O and coolant and don't forget to put the new thermastat in.

Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

'A20A3'
01-18-2004, 05:15 PM
I don't get it. If he's LOSING coolant, how does the Thermostat play any part in this?

Another thing, do you smell anything burning when the car is warmed up?

dub88acc
01-18-2004, 06:13 PM
yes i do, oh i forgot to mention also have an oil leak. its leaking out around the valvecover. I think i need to change the gasket.