PDA

View Full Version : Too much power. . .

cdixon311
01-19-2004, 04:10 AM
Well, I'm just getting this used motor running in my car and it has this problem where it idles all weird. Sometimes it goes way high, but then once or twice while I was test driving it, it went to about 250 rpms. Anyways, I've also been having a problem with my 70 amp battery fuse, it seems to want to break on me, I had to bypass the fuse with a piece of speaker wire just to make it home tonight. Also the battery light comes on in a higher rpm, lets say above 3 or 4 grand. The only thing that I can think of that would be the problem is that the altenator is bad (never had a problem with it before the new motor) or that the new connections I had to splice onto my wiring harness from the used one that come with the engine are messing the whole thing up. Any thoughts?

shepherd79
01-19-2004, 05:43 AM
the alternator is eather putting out way too much power and it is blowing the fuse or you have short somewhere.
i am leaning towards the alternator. go to autozone and they will test it for free.

TINBOAT
01-19-2004, 07:25 AM
Recheck your wiring splices, but as previously mentioned, it sounds like a bad alternator (electonic voltage regulator not functioning)....blowing 70 amp fuses aint a good thing, this could cause a fire before the fuse blows ,ie: melting wire insulation, and a little oil here and there, just might require a call to the local fire dept, then yer insurance company....BTW, what was wrong with your old wiring connections ?

Blkblurr
01-19-2004, 08:38 AM
My bet is on the wiring harness. The alternator can put out more voltage but the current output drops. OHms law at work here. Your not putting any more mechanical power in so you cannot put out more power. Power in watts is = to voltage x current. Excess current is what causes the fuse to blow. Just my thoughts though. i've been wrong before

Bioforge
01-19-2004, 10:32 AM
I have to agree with blurr....there is no reason the alternator should be putting out more power, I would check your splice's....though it wouldnt hurt to have the alternator look at anyways.

cdixon311
01-19-2004, 04:19 PM
I had to use some of the connectors off of the new motors wiring harness (cut wiring harness other wise would have swaped the whole thing) because alot of mine had broken off due to being crappy. I was thinking about trying to find a replacement wiring harness, and I will probably be taking the altenator to get checked soon. Is the electonic voltage regulator a part on the altenator or is it somewhere else in the car?

cdixon311
01-30-2004, 04:23 PM
I got the altenator checked, they said it was good. Next stop wiring harness.