PDA

View Full Version : Rack or PS return hose?

meangreenLXi
01-19-2004, 06:56 AM
Is there anyway to tell if I need to change my rack and pinion or just have the PS return hose changed. A honda dealer did a PSfluid diagnostic and they said I'd need a new rack and I shoud look into gettin another car. I had a mechanic tell me it could just be my PS return hose, because I recently had my PS pressure hose replaced, but my car was still leaking PS fluid, It wasn't leaking alot, 3weeks after the honda dealer filled it up, i finally had to add more fluid and that wasn't even a quarter of a bottle. I need to know because I don't wanna have to pay $600 for the rack to be replaced if it's the PS return hose that should be changed because I could use the money on other areas of the car. All help is greatly appreciated.

nswst8
01-19-2004, 07:33 AM
I would try to change the return hose first. Where is the fluids leaking from you have to find the leak this will tell us alot more, and give give us a few more ideas for you.
Have you tried stop leak. get back to us.
A rebuilt rack should only run $200 tops. you could put it in, just would take alittle time.
Autozone has ATSCO @ $199.99
Hope this helps.
NSWST8 :cheers:

meangreenLXi
01-19-2004, 10:09 AM
I heard the stop leak stuff was bad for the system, that's why I didn't do that. The drops of oil are like in the oil pan area, i thought it was the engine oil at first because it was right under the oil pan, but the oil was clear and the engine oil is or looks used.

Justin86
01-19-2004, 10:38 AM
I would go to the J/Y and get one or get a rebuilt one, and maybe pick up a new hose at the J/Y too. Shit if you lived closer I could sell you my extra one I have.

meangreenLXi
01-19-2004, 11:31 AM
Cool, I didn't know that the return hose would have to be replaced seperate from the rack. This is the first time i'd ever encountered a problem in this area with any of the cars I've owned.

Justin86
01-19-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm pretty sure everything will disconnect. As for difficulty to install one I'm not sure but I bet you can get it done in a day. The whole stearing system is easy to get to from under the car.

AZmike
01-19-2004, 06:16 PM
Check the speed sensor. It has two fittings on it that can leak PSF down the back of your tranny.

meangreenLXi
01-20-2004, 12:36 PM
Okay, i'm gonna check that out, I just got a address for a junkyard in my area and someone tried to steal the Accord last night, I think the Club saved me, my factory alarm never went off and they put a golfball sized hole in the rear passenger window. WTF, I wonder if I'm able to get that thing turned up to be more sensative to people messing with my windows, they stole my stereo because of that, they jimmyed the window to get the trunk open and stupid me, i didn't have the stereo bolted down so it was rip and go for them, by the time the alarm went off, they were off and runnin with my speakers :crying:

DBMaster
01-20-2004, 05:05 PM
Another source of leakage that ends up in "the oil pan area" is the P/S pump shaft seal. It is only $7 from the Honda dealer. (about $3 if you are ordering enough other stuff from Majestic Honda to justify the shipping and handling). Took me about 30 minutes to replace it.

Of course, mine was leaking EVERYWHERE. I had to get a new rack. I replaced the high pressure hose several years ago. Then, the pump shaft seal. Finally, it can go a very long time between fluid addition.

meangreenLXi
01-21-2004, 04:32 AM
Okay the price of the seal isn't all that bad, i'll have my mechanic look at that also, but how much labor is involved with it or is just better to have him do it while he has all those parts loose.

nswst8
01-21-2004, 05:29 AM
Just pull the pump off, remove the pulley, unbolt the front cover pop out the seal with a screw driver (carefully) and press it back in. Use appropriate size socket 19mm to tap new seal in place. 9 ftlb front cover bolts.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

meangreenLXi
01-21-2004, 12:52 PM
cool, sounds easy enough to have'em check it. Thanks :pimp:

Justin86
01-21-2004, 01:54 PM
Well hows clean is your engine bay. It is hard to find a leak when everything is covered in oil and dirt. :)

meangreenLXi
01-28-2004, 12:23 PM
no the engine bay is clean. It's not the best but no gunk at all it just looks as thou I need to shine everything up in there.