PDA

View Full Version : A B20A swap mated with parts from a B20A2?

thegreatdane
01-19-2004, 08:07 AM
Lately I've been looking into which possibilitys i've got on a B20A swap. And believe me theres not a lot of B20A's in my country. But I've found 2 engines imported from japan long long ago. The problem is that they havent got a tranny either of them and no ECU either. (I think one of them had a wire harness too. maybe not all of it though...) But I can get transmissions and ECU's from the B20A2's and any other parts from them. Would it work?
The guy I talked to about the two B20A's, mentioned something about that part of the injection system might be different but he wasnt specific because he didnt really know.
Will the fact that the B20A is intended to use what is it 108 octane? fuel cause any problems concerning using the B20A2 ECU? Does anyone have transmission numbers from B20A2's? Foobari?
And by the way i think the B20A's had catalysts. If i remember corectly the B20A2's doesnt - for the most part of them at least. Again, will this cause problems with the ECU?
A lot of questions, I know :)

Gregg86DX
01-19-2004, 08:51 AM
I'm no expert, but what I have learned from research indicates that the B20A2 transmission should be the same as the B20A. The difference in fuel injection systems that your mechanic is refering to, is probably the single stage vs. dual stage intake manifolds. The 86-87 were singe and the 88-89 were dual. It's really not a big deal but ideally you want to match the ECU to the intake manifold. None of these ECU's should care if you have a catalytic converter or not. They will, however, care about O2 sensors so you want to make sure you get an exhaust manifold that has the right number of sensors for your ECU. As for the octane, the ECU won't care about that either. I'm not sure what kind of gas you get over there, but none of the B20A's should need anything special for gas. Even the JDM B20A should run fine on U.S. 87 octane.

What does your car have now for motor and ECU? If you found a B20A and all the parts from a donor B20A2 (tranny, ECU, FI, exhaust manifold), it should work well. Honestly, if you can find B20A2's pretty easily, I'd just grab one of those and modify it a bit for more power.

thegreatdane
01-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Ok, that sounds good. The thing with the B20A's is that they've got a pretty low mileage. We get 95 octane over here. Used to have 98. Don't now what happened to that actually... I'm not sure if the B20A2's has any O2 sensors at all. All the A20A4's (FI's) in europe doesnt have O2 sensors. My engine now is a A20A4 (with a A20A2 block though) with a matching ECU i believe. I havent got the part number from it though.
Did anyone ever get a dyno on their B20A without any changes made to it to see how close to 160HP is was, running 87 octane fuel?

McNick
01-21-2004, 06:53 AM
2 thegreatdane
As I know B20A8 - Euro B20 with cata, B20A2 - w/o cata.

thegreatdane
01-21-2004, 07:08 AM
Ok, thanks. I newer saw a B20A8 around here, actually i didnt even know that there was an engine with that engine code. But i guess it means there wasnt a cat on any of them in Denmark then.