PDA

View Full Version : Expected life of shocks?

Busted_Blue
01-19-2004, 08:18 AM
What exactly is the expected life on shocks particularly tokico blues?

I heard that a drop will accelerate the wear on the blues and the blues blow easier. I hope thats not true. I wanted that to be clarified before I go ahead with my plans.

has anyone had trouble with the blues with the neuspeed/h&r setup? How many miles did the tokicos last on that setup?

thanks for all the info :D

AZmike
01-20-2004, 10:39 AM
I was hoping someone with personal experience would respond for you. Here's some general information--I don't have any personal experience with the Tokicos.

The Tokicos are designed to work well with stock springs, offering slightly more damping than the stock struts. Using stiffer springs will shorten their life. People that have used the Tokicos even with softer (relative to other lowering springs) H&R/Neuspeeds noticed that the front bounced somewhat. I don't know much about how long they'll last. Most people that I've read about here that stopped using them got tired of the bouncy ride before the the strut actually stopped working. If you're ok with how they ride (many were not), they may last fine as long as long as you chose softer lowering springs.

BITESIZE
01-20-2004, 11:33 AM
My ride isn't bouncy.

86AccordLxi
01-20-2004, 11:41 AM
I thought my ride was nice with tokicos and then I rode in bobafett's car with konis in the front and it's waaay better. The rear was fine, but the front DOES bounce, despite what anyone says (and I was also running H&Rs which are the softest springs made). Regarding life, I have no idea. They seemed to be holding up fine, though I only put about 7-8 months on the car with them, though I got mine used to begin with.

Alex

RobT5580
01-20-2004, 12:42 PM
Koni's are not even comparable to tokico's when i switched i was very very happy and wish i spent the extra money a long time ago. To bad they dont make them anymore cause i would pick up a set for my next coupe that i get. I have the tokicos still on my other car and im taking them out and putting stock ones back in with stock springs cause the front ones are shot.

I cant say how long they last but i am on my second set up front and im going back to stock. But the reason they work out is because of missing dust cups so they prematurely wore out.

buish
01-20-2004, 01:24 PM
5 years of use on my rear tokicos, and 4 years on my front. 4 years, b/c one semester at junior college, there was this big ass unavoidable dip taking the backroad shortcut going 60mph everyday. it only blew out my front left. i'm happy with them, but yeah, they can be annoying with the bounce at times. i have a set of koni i want to install, but just waiting for locknuts and front spring perches.

Busted_Blue
01-20-2004, 05:34 PM
Buish are those tokicos used with lower springs?

I'm really asking how long the tokicos last with H&R or Neuspeed. What got to be taking into factor is I LIVE IN SANFRANCISCO. Potholes fill each street and there are even bumps in the street that can toss a car and make it fly.

I know the best setup for the car is koni reds in the front and tokicos in the rear. This is easier said than done my friend. I don't have the resources to point to avaliablity of these front reds. anyone know a good place to get fronts?

Many say the bounce is really annoying. But I wanna see for myself. Is there anyone in the area that is willing to let me sit in their car for a little cruise around a couple blocks to see how it feels?

edit: Should i just get a set of bilstiens and get the front revalved? I will only be using H&R or Neuspeed.

AZmike
01-26-2004, 06:15 PM
edit: Should i just get a set of bilstiens and get the front revalved? I will only be using H&R or Neuspeed.

I'd say it depends on your goal. Are you looking for a lowered car that doesn't bounce (or doesn't bounce much)? Are you trying to really improve how the car handles? How much extra would you be willing to pay for better performance?

If money's a big deal and performance isn't then you might be happy with 4 Tokicos. The next step up would be revalved bilsteins front and tokicos rear. If you want the best handling you may want to consider 4 revalved bilsteins. The extra damping will make the car more responsive (think faster in a slalom). Increasing the rear damping by going with 4 bilstiens will also reduce understeer because of the increase in rear damping versus using the tokicos.

buish
01-26-2004, 11:17 PM
busted_blue, what part of SF you live in? my gf lives in the richmond district, maybe i can swing by and give you a little cruise. yes, for all those years, its either been on sprint springs or weapon-r coilovers. i've ditched the coilovers, b/c it messes up my tires pretty bad.

got 17" on my rear and stockies up front. i've neglected getting new tires for my front 17" b/c been saving for a project car. so i dunno how that factors in your judgment.

just email me, [email protected], and maybe we can set something up.

Busted_Blue
01-27-2004, 11:43 AM
I live in the sunset district. hit me up on Aol Instant Messenger : Crazyxzer0 if you ever want to give me a cruise =)

tell ya the truth, I think I want to get 4 revalved bilstiens but the cost is rather too much for me. IT seems that 2 Tokicos 2 Revalved Bilstiens sound the best of performance money ratio.

by anychance does anyone know the price of that?

with Tokico it seems to be roughly 500.