PDA

View Full Version : Dremels Are Good!

MIK3
01-19-2004, 01:09 PM
Geeze. I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier. Well as some of you might have experienced, window trim is a bitch to get off. My was fading, and I decided to go at it and try and take it off. Day after day I could not figure out what I could use in order to take it off. I tried razor blades, x-acto knifes, sanding, you name it. None of that worked to the degree that a dremel does. It takes a while, but it sure does get it off. The only reason that it takes a while is because you have to pay close attention to detail. You don't want to knick your paint or your window. It took me about an hour to do 70% of the back window trim. And right now I am on my break...haha. Anyone else use a dremel while removing this window trim? Once I am done, I plan on reapplying a rubberized paint sold at my hardware store. Can't wait...it's going to look real good. I'll post pics of it when I'm done.

SteveDX89
01-19-2004, 01:13 PM
I'd rather go through the hell of getting it off. You don't have to worry about overspray. That would suck especially since we have white cars. I'll get around to doing it someday.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
I might have to do that this summer. Mines kinda chipping off here and there. I'm really good at masking things off for painting so I will just leave it on.

soljaboy2000
01-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Yeah...I like Dremels too i used mines to fix rust on my 3 gee

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah I use mine for pretty much 75% of the project I do.

lightbulblxi
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
that is a long time, i hpoe its worth it to u.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-19-2004, 01:46 PM
Well this is the way I think, it's the little things that make a car stand out.

HostileJava
01-20-2004, 06:51 AM
I love My dremel. I think I'm going to be buried with it. Seriously though I use it for work around the house, for car mods, and for computer mods. The only thing I use more then my dremel is my cordless drill.

MIK3
01-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Yeah. I'm a master at masking. I never get any overspray on my car, and I paint a lot of parts on the car too. So this weekend hopefully I'll be able to do that. I still have pics to post of my bumpers and my licensplate holes filled and sanded, it looks pretty neat.

RobT5580
01-22-2004, 02:34 PM
Yeah dremels are nice i have 3 of them. But for that trim i dont think its worth the time i would buy new trim in that case. So far the only one of mine peeling is the top rear window but when the car is painted im getting all new trim and clips cause its not worth the time to re-do those. But its always nice doing things for dirt cheap but i dont think most paints/ coatings are not going to hold up well IMO.

BootMachine
01-22-2004, 02:40 PM
Yeah I have two dremel tools and a bunch of bits and I use it for all kinds of things. Everyone should own a Dremel!

NEVER EVER port and polish your head with a dremel though...it takes WAY TOO LONG. It took me about 45 hours of work to get my head nice....not bloody worth it.

To P&P you need something with more torque and sharper bits when you are at the porting stage.....the dremel works wonders on the polishing stage though!

RobT5580
01-22-2004, 02:50 PM
I think one of my best tools is my 1/4 air tool its like the dremel but has a lot more RPM's and does some good stuff. I have a few bits for that and it goes real quick.

Ravenix
01-22-2004, 06:25 PM
dremels are very very good check out this video.....
http://www.powerlabs.org/movies/cd.mpg