PDA

View Full Version : Clutch recommendations please!

cdscowboy
01-19-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey all-
babyblue89 has a manual tranny that he's going to GIVE me, so I'm doing the swap! Yay!! I know it'll be a pain in the ass, but it'll be worth it. I don't think I'll bother switching out the gears for 'lude gears, just cause that'll be more money, which I'm short on. Which brings me to my next point.
I'll need a new clutch (I'm assuming the old one is bad, or should be replaced). I looked on eBay, and all I found for the 89 accord was the Exedy clutch (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2453685679) . Is this any good? I was hoping to get one for a bit less money, as I'm in college and have to be frugal with my spending. And just to verify, if I get a clutch, I'll get a new release bearing with it, correct? On that Exedy it says something about a Throwout bearing...is that the same thing?
I have a few mods (colt cam, catback w/hiflo cat, CAI), so it's not like I need a drag clutch. I'm looking for something that'll grip the gears, but I won't lose a leg trying to change gears. And price, as mentioned, is an issue. Please give recommendations!

Also, how important/costly is a flywheel resurfacing?

Thanks, and sorry for the novel.

shepherd79
01-19-2004, 01:30 PM
resurfacing the flywheel is very important unless you want to replace the cluch after one year or less.
the Exedy cluch is stock replacement clutch. it will do good unless you are planning to turbo the car.
look at the market place, i think someone was selling clutch there.

NXRacer
01-19-2004, 01:56 PM
check out ACT clutches. They're pretty good. justin got one and he's been happy with it so far.

k-roy
01-19-2004, 02:00 PM
ACT is prettyy good for an upgraded one. I like the Centerforce dual friction as well.
Definitly take the flywheel for resurfacing.

nswst8
01-19-2004, 02:31 PM
One of our guys was seller one for like $79, if they still have it you might be able to get a deal, Do the search thing.
LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Bioforge
01-19-2004, 03:41 PM
I would say grab a centerforce if you can, and also remember you need a m/t flywheel unless you want some fun issues....get it shaved at a local shop while you have it out too.

BootMachine
01-19-2004, 04:12 PM
MACHINE your flywheel!

I thought I could get away with it and I did for 70 000 KMS but now I'm at the end of the clutch and it chatters a little...not much.....but I can feel it and it all could have been avoided if I spent the 30 bucks to have the flywheel faced!

My two cents!

badmanferg
01-19-2004, 04:41 PM
look at the market place, i think someone was selling clutch there.

yea its wallyfamm, he's sellin it for like 70....btw wally, you haven't refunded me on that transaction...i have your address son so be smart...

-respect

kevin

cdscowboy
01-19-2004, 06:30 PM
yea its wallyfamm, he's sellin it for like 70....btw wally, you haven't refunded me on that transaction...i have your address son so be smart...

-respect

kevin

So his is still for sale??? Let me know, cause I'm interested :)

cdscowboy
01-20-2004, 08:08 AM
Okay, I have the opportunity to buy a Daikin brand clutch for $83 shipped. Should I go for it??

skull1441
01-25-2004, 05:46 PM
man go for the stock Clutch Masters its $120 AND ITS WORTH IT .... i just put it in my car and it holds soooo nice

cdscowboy
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Where've you found it for $120? I'd go for that...heard nothing but good things about the Clutchmasters.

Rendon LX-i
01-25-2004, 09:57 PM
Man i have Exedy and it good. grabs good to. i race with that clutch like 30 times
still grabs. like new. cheap and last along time. go for it.

cdscowboy
01-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Ugh! Now I have choices again! I was gonna get the Daikin, which is essentially just a stock replacement, no better than stock at least. That was only going to be $83 shipped, which is a killer price. It's another $37 for the Exedy on eBay and I have yet to find the Clutchmasters for anything reasonable.

Moodybluesr
01-26-2004, 12:55 AM
Exedy is a very good brand of replacement clutch and well worth what they are asking on eBay.

Rendon LX-i
01-26-2004, 05:17 AM
i agree with MoodyBluesr. i paid 120 for mine. there only asking 100 bucks. on ebay. like i said a good clutch.

od2681
01-26-2004, 06:58 AM
ACT stage one with resurfaced flywheel..youll be good
hey make sure ur mounts are good...
i didnt

K-MOD
01-26-2004, 12:50 PM
Ugh! Now I have choices again! I was gonna get the Daikin, which is essentially just a stock replacement, no better than stock at least. That was only going to be $83 shipped, which is a killer price. It's another $37 for the Exedy on eBay and I have yet to find the Clutchmasters for anything reasonable.
If you are still looking for a clutch we(www.kmodifiedracing.com) sell many different clutches for the 86-89 Accotd. Stage one SPEC clutch(250), Clutchnet 6puck(310), and the Clutch net dual friction(335) If you are looking for that racy feel go with the ClutcNet(6puck), and if you want a basic upgrade from stock go with the SPEC, if you wabt a clutch that is very streetable but yet still strong go with thge dual friction. The prices I quoted are for a clutch disk and a pressure plate. If you just want to replace the disk, the clutcNet 6puck is $135, or you can go with a ClutchNet Dual friction disk for $145. Both disk are top notch, and I have the 6puck in both of my cars. I sell a ton of the dual frictions, and people love them. The dual friction is the best of both worlds, it holds and it's very streetable.
-KESE
www.kmodifiedracing.com

cdscowboy
01-26-2004, 03:14 PM
The prices I quoted are for a clutch disk and a pressure plate. If you just want to replace the disk, the clutcNet 6puck is $135, or you can go with a ClutchNet Dual friction disk for $145.

Anyone know if I'll need the pressure plate as well? Or do I just need to replace the disk? I'm inclined to just get the disk, cause cost is a major issue. I have like $150 AT MOST to spend.

Also, what are some people's impressions of the clutches K-MOD listed? Any advice, opinions are welcome.

skull1441
01-26-2004, 05:14 PM
I have a feeling that Exedy is a fake .... go to www.clutchmasters.com .... they say that the only real clutch masters cluch they sell is on their site.... i got my $120 stock clutch from them and it was SWEEEEET.

88LXi68
01-26-2004, 05:54 PM
If you are replacing the clutch you should replace the pressure plate as well. I understand money is an issue, but if you dont do things right you are going to end up spending more in the long run. So to recap....get a new clutch disc, pressureplate, and throwout/release bearing, and resurface the flywheel. Also, make sure you are getting the flywheel bolts with the flywheel because the manual and automatic ones are different.

cdscowboy
01-26-2004, 05:59 PM
Okay, thanks. I was just looking on eBay at the Exedy clutches for our cars here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33730&item=2455575912

And I noticed that on the lower right part of the clutch box, next to Exedy, it says "Daikin _______". Are all Daikins Exedys?? Or is Exedy a model that Daikin produces? If I can get that $83 clutch (I need to check to see if it includes the pressure plate), then I can save myself $37 and get the same clutch that's selling on eBay for $140.

Thanks for all the help fellas!

EDIT: I went to the Daikin website ( http://www.daikinclutch.com ) and saw the Exedy label all over the site, so I'm assuming they're one in the same. I'll get in touch with that other guy...hopefully it's $83 for the whole kit!!! :)

EDIT #2: I talked to the seller and he said confirmed that Exedy was the same as Daikin. Also, the $83 includes the pressure plate, clutch, and throwout bearing....shipped as well!!! Helluva deal :)