PDA

View Full Version : Idle issue

Fueldrum
01-19-2004, 04:48 PM
Hey all, I'm having issues idling.

My car is surging around 1500-2000 when idling. Tapping the gas doesn't help as it returns to The Surge immediately after.

It only does it when idling, not when moving.

I did a search of past threads and found it to be either A) Vaccum leak and I need new hoses or B) fast control valve(I may have that name completely wrong. It's a valve. Controls my coolant on the throttle body)

Any have this problem before or perhaps recommend and definate fix/possibility?

Whitehonda
01-22-2004, 08:48 PM
Warm air Idle Control Valve...It is located behind the intake manifold (upper left) it has 2 phillips screws holding on the cover. Inside you will find a slotted screw valve looking thing about an inch arond or so...get a large flatblade tool to tighen it clockwise as much as possibly w/o stripping it, and then adjust your idle accordingly. This is a common problem among the 3geez!!! any more questions feel free to ask!!

Cameron

Whitehonda
01-22-2004, 08:50 PM
It is right above the little red tube right where the ram air intake meets the intake manifold! Thats the best pic I could find so far. It is a gold anodized in color, but might be an oxidized white or silver color.

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/7/web/343000-343999/343720_27_full.jpg

Cameron

Fueldrum
01-23-2004, 05:00 AM
Thank you Cameron! It turned out to be something much simpler, a leaky coolant hose going into the fast idle valve.

I'll take an 8 dollar fix anyday. =)

Whitehonda
01-23-2004, 07:27 AM
Not a problem, I have had this happen to my 3 gee a few times. The idle problem seems to come back when someone hits my car...I haven't figured it out yet!?!?

Cameron

Fueldrum
01-23-2004, 10:20 AM
so swapped out the hose and whilst that fixed the coolant leak(as you might imagine), it still was surging from the 1-2200's. So next step, adjusted my idle screw all the way in, it didn't surge, so I'm assuming no vaccum leak. Unscrewed it to idle around 8-900, no surge. I'm hoping either A) the idle screw just came loose or b) I need a new fast idle valve.

Either way, not that big of a deal. Would cleaning the fast idle valve be enough or do I need to buy a new one?

Fueldrum
01-23-2004, 10:21 AM
btw, if that's your engine, it looks pretty clean.

1988starter
01-23-2004, 10:34 AM
so swapped out the hose and whilst that fixed the coolant leak(as you might imagine), it still was surging from the 1-2200's. So next step, adjusted my idle screw all the way in, it didn't surge, so I'm assuming no vaccum leak. Unscrewed it to idle around 8-900, no surge. I'm hoping either A) the idle screw just came loose or b) I need a new fast idle valve.

Either way, not that big of a deal. Would cleaning the fast idle valve be enough or do I need to buy a new one?

I would try cleaning it it did not work for me tho 3 bolts 10 mm. So I just bought a new one from www.hondaautomotiveparts.com for 60 bucks

Whitehonda
01-23-2004, 12:16 PM
the surging is cause by the valve itself, you can adjust it by taking out those two screws and removing that little cover, and tightening the valve clockwise inside!! Like I was talking about eariler.

That was my engine last summer when I was rebuilding the front end after a little miss hap with a ditch...

Cameron