PDA

View Full Version : Acceleration problems

89AccordLvr
01-20-2004, 06:11 AM
I have a problem but i dont know exactly what it is so i need you guys help to tell me what i need to fix....

while im driving and when i shift to 2nd or any gear there after, if i accelerate and try to get faster the car stays at the same speed but it starts to rev in gear, i dont kno why its doin this ... does anyone have a clue

Blkblurr
01-20-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm assuming that you have a manual tranny? If so, it sounds like your clutch is slipping badly.

TINBOAT
01-20-2004, 07:05 AM
....time to replace the clutch.

k-roy
01-20-2004, 07:10 AM
Yea it sounds like the clutch is going out. How old is it?

One thing you can do that may fix the problem is adjust the clutch. To do this look just behind and benith the battery. There is a vertical rod with a plastic peice that you can spin up or down to tighten or loosen it. Be careful, if you tighten it too much you could completly blow it. Six months after I got a new clutch to my horror it started to slip at higher rpms. It ended up being just out of alignment.

If you replace it be sure to get a new throwout bearing and have the flywheel resurfaced. those two things can make it last a lot longer.

lightbulblxi
01-20-2004, 10:43 AM
yea, clutch.

89AccordLvr
01-21-2004, 03:01 PM
yall sure its the clutch mayb i didnt explain right ... if i just cruise in any gear say im doin 35 and in 3rd gear .... without touchin the clutch if i press the gas to accelerate faster its starts to rev like i wuz in neutral but im not, it goes to 3k then just revs w/o goin faster..

Blkblurr
01-21-2004, 03:07 PM
The only way your engine can go faster without the car going faster no matter what gear you are in is if it is not connected tightly to your tranny. That happens through the clutch.

JohnnyFonz
01-21-2004, 03:08 PM
Thats because the clutch is worn, and can no longer hold.
Yes, they got the idea. Try adjusting, or look to replace.

89AccordLvr
01-21-2004, 03:19 PM
ok thanks just making sure