PDA

View Full Version : Body work...

tmac
01-20-2004, 12:43 PM
I have taken some pictures of my car. It was kinda rearended. I can fix that piece no problem.

I am really in need of a way to remove the rust and keep it gone.

Any suggestions on this.

Also I can send you the pictures if you would like to see them. They are 1.29MB each. Or I can post them, not sure if that would go over too well though.

BootMachine
01-20-2004, 12:52 PM
Rust SUCKS!!

Its car cancer man...there is nothing you can do about it except cut it out or grind it off. You need to take all the metal with rust on it and grind the rust off...even until you see shiny metal you will see tiny little black spots like pores that need to be ground down too in order to get rid of the rust. If the metal will become too thin you need to cut it off completly and weld in new metal or sculpt with fiber glass.

Once the rust is ground off the metal for GOD SAKE MAN dont touch it with your bare fingers.....OR....you will have a rust fingerpring poking through your new paint job in a year or so.

Wash the steel down with acetone or some degreaser that does not leave a residue when it dries. RIGHT AFTER YOU CLEAN AND LET IT DRY (do all your metal shaping before this stage) you need to paint with a high quality primer. Use lots of coats and sand between each one. Use some body filler to cover the blemishes but dont use it too much...if you have a big problem sand off your primer and work the fiberglass a little better.

After the primer stage you need to paint and clearcoat....I dont know much about this process so this is as far as I can take you!

tmac
01-20-2004, 12:59 PM
sweet, that is as far as I need to go, a friend is going to do the painting, but I am unemployied at the momment, so doing my own bodywork will take up my time.

tmac
01-20-2004, 01:00 PM
any other tips from people would be great :cheers: