PDA

View Full Version : B20A Transmission Rebuild Kit

Gregg86DX
01-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Has anyone ever rebuilt a B20A transmission (B2K5 or F2K5)? I have not cracked mine open to take a look yet, but I figure if I can get a rebuild kit for a reasonable price, I might as well freshen it up a bit. Also, I'm real curious if these tranny's share any internals with other Honda models. LSD would be nice too!

Any thoughts?

Gregg

Gregg86DX
01-20-2004, 05:15 PM
So to answer my own question, I contacted these folks: www.drivetrain.com and sent them this request:

"Question: I am looking for a rebuild kit for a JDM Honda Accord
transmission. The code is B2K5 and it was installed in 1986-1989
Accords with the B20A motor. This combination was not sold in the
US. Can you get a master rebuild kit for this transmission? Thanks,
Gregg"

Their response:

"We can supply a bearing overhaul kit your costs $169.81 we can supply
the same kit with syncro rings your costs $274.54 plus the freight.
At time of order please reference number 94449. Give Shep a call
toll free 1-800-216-1632 he can help you.. Or order on line at
http://www.drivetrain.com/order.html."

Any further thoughts on this?

RobT5580
01-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Im not famaliar with that company but im doubful they have a kit off hand. I wouldnt be surprised if you got some wrong parts. The B20A transmissions look very different from all the other Honda ones iv ever seen. I know the B21 can use a ITR LSD but im doubtful its the same for us. I contacted Quaife about having them match mine up but i dont want to send mine before i have the $900 to spend on it so i dont look like an ass if they find one. The guy was very cool about it but i have to pull apart my spare tranny first and i didnt want to leave it apart for months so it would be one of the last things i do.

And as far as your rebuild why dont you just order the stuff from Japan? Yasu found that awesome place in Japan and you should get the stuff in a week from them. I would have to look up part numbers for the bearings and stuff but i would rather have the honda stuff. Iv never had it fail although im expecting problems with the turbo but thats much harder on my tranny. Just my thoughts iv never known anyone that had to rebuild their tranny except for Justin.

Gregg86DX
01-20-2004, 08:16 PM
I plan on calling these guys tommorow and just getting a feel for them. I want to be sure they would supply the right kit and find out who makes the kits. I'll post the results.

You make some good points about rebuilding. I guess I am kinda paranoid about building up this motor and getting it all set up, only to find it grinds into 2nd gear or some crap like that. At a minimum, I want to open it up and inspect the gears, synchros, etc... if it all looks good, I'll probably just run with it. I am definitely interested in an LSD too. Didn't Yasu's have a Phantom Grip in it? Anyone know the details on that one?

Regarding that place in Japan, was it this one? http://210.150.108.106/~spiosk/parts/e-info.htm

I emailed them a few days ago about a head gasket kit and have not heard back yet.

Gregg

carotman
01-20-2004, 08:19 PM
I wonder if you could just swap the bellhousing with another transmission (like the 86-89 teg tranny and the A20A)

I really thing I will rebuild mine too. I thought I wouldn't need it but I think I'll feel more confident if I knew my B2k5 was brand new :)

Gregg, I think you have the right link... I'll order my parts from there next week if I do not hear from my local contact.

RobT5580
01-21-2004, 08:37 AM
Yeah that is the place but you have to give them part numbers. Im sure they can look it up by engine code but they would probably want a serial number as well.

As far is LSD i want a real one iv heard good and bad things about the phantom grip but im doing everthing else the best i can why not spend the extra money if i can get a real LSD.

Gregg86DX
01-21-2004, 11:31 AM
So I followed up with www.drivetrain.com and it turns out they actually don't have a rebuild kit for that tranny (surprise, surprise). I spoke to another shop that does a lot of JDM Honda work and they suggested just pulling the individual bearing out and taking them to a Honda parts dept and matching them up. So Rob, you were right! :tongue:

The gentleman I spoke with also said that he rarely sees problems with Honda trannies, as long as the right oil is used (i.e. motor oil) He said sometimes people put gear oil in them and that will cook bearings. At this point, my intention is to inspect and unless I see evidence of problems, just run with it. I am still interested in an LSD, but I'm on a tighter budget, so the $300 Phantom Grip is as far as I am willing to go right now.

Gregg

RobT5580
01-21-2004, 01:28 PM
Yeah i wouldnt even bother with shops that do a lot of JDM stuff cause this is not the same and the average person wont know about it. Im debating on doing the bearing on mine i will probably do them but i will see how far i get cause i know im going to be anxious to install it. Plus i will be taking the whole engine out after anyway for paint if i dont get it done before the swap.

carotman
01-21-2004, 09:38 PM
A rebuild kit should be available in Europe... we have wuite a few European members now that could help us getting those parts (and make a few bucks in the process)

Gregg86DX
01-25-2004, 04:48 PM
Just thought I would update my progress. Ever wondered what the inside of a B2K5 tranny looks like? Well here ya go!
http://gregg.stults.com/Accord/B20Atranny1.jpg
It came apart fairly easy, but there is one trick to be aware of. The case cracked open pretty easy, but I could not get the halves seperated more than about half an inch. You need to remove the larger plug on the end (pass. side) of the transmission and underneath, there is a retaining clip holding one of the bearings. You need spread this clip enough to let the bearing slide by. Then the case came off pretty easy. Actually, the trick was getting the plug out, since it needs a 14mm allen wrench to remove it. I had to fabricate one by welding a bolt with a 14mm head to a piece of steel to make wrench. I may write up detailed instructions when I get time.

Gregg

Gregg86DX
01-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Oh yeah, I wanted to add that things look real good inside. there is a bit of rust from sitting, but nothing to worry about and nothing on any surfaces that matter. There is no noticable wear on the slider rings or synchro teeth, they all look nice and sharp. No pitting or wear on the gears either. The bearings all feel tight and smooth. My plan will be to thoroughly clean and reassemble. I have not decided if I am going to put an LSD in yet.

Gregg

RobT5580
01-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Cool glad to see you took pictures during it. I was going to pull one of mine apart to work on getting an LSD but i dont want to leave it apart for a long period of time so its going to wait till the last minute. If your interested in getting a Quaife differential you can send them you stock one and they said they will do their best to match it up. I know the B21 preludes can use the ITR LSD with slight modification but i dont know if that will work on ours or not. But im going to try to get a Quaife one when the time comes.