PDA

View Full Version : So I went to the body shop today...

Bloodlust
01-21-2004, 09:54 AM
To go and ask a guy that my Dad recommended to do body work to my car. Ecspecially rust work. So he takes a look at my car and I told him that I have only seen rust around my two rear wheel wells. Then he goes around my car to see if he can see any other spots and he tells me my car isnt rusting like alot of 3g's. So he gives me two options:

1. Cheaper Option: Fiberglass; and it might start to bubble as early as a year.
2. More Expensive: Cut the metal out and it is pretty much guaranteed not to rust in the time that I have the car.

So what do you guys think I should do?

hkplayer
01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
I suppose you will have to consider how long you intend to own the car, plus how much cheaper it is to use the fiberglass over the metal. If its your dad's friend, is there a deal involved either way? Or just reliable service? Both would be great!

SteveDX89
01-21-2004, 10:04 AM
If you're gonna keep the car for more than a year, get it done right.

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 10:06 AM
if you have the money get it done right. why would you do anything else?

k-roy
01-21-2004, 10:07 AM
Yea got some metal in there.
One tip, pull the rear bumper. Its easy, there are 4 bolts on the underside holding it in place. Then there are a few screws on the frnder to keep it flush. Once you remove the bumper take a good look all around, it is common to have rust in that area. If its not rusted through you are lucky and can sand it down to primer/paint over it to keep it from spreading.

RobT5580
01-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Yeah i have some fiberglass on my other coupe and it looks like crap. I dont remember how long it lasted becase it sat for awhile when i got my other accord but i noticed recently that it is not holding up well. If you do any body work just do it right. I hate how body shops make it seem like its a big problem to cut it out and weld in new stuff. Yeah its harder than fiberglass but this is supposed to be their trade and i watched guys replace whole rear quarter panels on cars every day and all the way as a whole new rear end with trunk floor pans. So cutting and putting in new metal is not as bad as they want to make it out to be its just more time. They do make rear wheel well weld in arches i have not seen them but i know someone that did they are made by a company called VENG so all that needs to been done is cut out the old weld in the new and fill in the seem in any then paint.

Bloodlust
01-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Yeah thats what he said. He asked how long I would have the car and i was like for a while cause im getting a kit and im in love with the car. So then he was like ok well the metal work is gonna cost a couple hundred bucks. And I was like well whats a couple hundred bucks. And he was like well lets just say it wont be close to a grand. So with the metal and paint it wont be near a grand. Sound like a good deal?

lightbulblxi
01-21-2004, 10:44 AM
only git fiberglass if ur gonna sell it in the next year, otherwise git the metal.

Dibbs
01-21-2004, 10:47 AM
A grand? R U getting the whole car painted?

Bloodlust
01-21-2004, 12:46 PM
A grand? R U getting the whole car painted?
No sir, thats just to fix the one side and paint the part. At least thats what i think he meant...

Dibbs
01-21-2004, 12:57 PM
well, I guess I'm not the best judge considering that I (or my stepdad) do all my body work but that seems high to me.

Bloodlust
01-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Yeah im not sure if he was talking about fixing and painting both wheel wells or what. If that were the case I would say the price is fair.

Justin86
01-21-2004, 01:15 PM
yea that is fucking bullshit. If the dealer did body work you could get a better deal there. Go some place else.

Rendon LX-i
01-21-2004, 01:22 PM
shit man that alot. 1 grand for that shit. i mean 300 or so ya. cuz my Rear left door got hit by some fucking grampa at wal-mart. and his insurance is going to pay for it. my body shop said 250 and my door bad. he going to cut the metal out and redo it and repaint it. 1 grand for your shit. man i can my car repainted for that much. go some were else like Justin86 said. that bulls shit

RobT5580
01-21-2004, 01:40 PM
Yeah that is a bit steep but all i can say if you know he does good work then its worth the grand. Good body work is hard to find and yeah i realize prices go up but if you find the right shop a full paint job with minor body work should run around $2000. I will admit iv had trouble finding shops to do it for that but my last resort is a guy i know from Audi/Porsche its just it will take longer but he does excellent work and he wants about $2300. But if you shop around i will bet you can find it cheaper it cost me $100 to do my rear quarter with fiberglass and paint/clear. Yeah it wasnt great but i was planning on having the car done over completly. So i would shop around but if your going to get the kit i would have it done at the same time cause the coupe side skirts go up the the trim plus they may have to blend it a bit because of the amount of area that needs paint.

Bloodlust
01-21-2004, 01:55 PM
Good point Rob, I was going to get the same guy to put my kit on and paint it for me too. So maybe he will lower the price because im giving him more business. I know the guy does excellent work cause he did my Dad's truck and it looks great. Who knows maybe for 2 grand ill just have my entire car painted over again right ya know?

hkplayer
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Get a few more quotes bloodlust, it really does seem a little high, even if its for both sides.