PDA

View Full Version : springs or rack and pinion squeaking so much, please help me!

neoblue89lxi
01-21-2004, 06:41 PM
I just recently lowered my car with sprint springs and tokico struts. I noticed the long boot on the passenger side for the power steering rack was completely torn in half. I have been leaking fluid from that boot and my pump. I keep the fluid always filled with honda power steering fluid. When I am stopped and turn the wheel my pump whinnes and a creak comes from under the car. While I am driving my car constently creaks and squeaks very loadly. It creaks more when I hit a small bumps in the road. When the car is off and I push down on the front end I get the same creaking. It comes right from the wheel area. Could this be my springs or my rack. If it is my rack how can I maybe fix it without replacing the whole thing. I just want to know if it is possible to just replace the seal in the rack. Than ks for the help.

Blkblurr
01-21-2004, 07:16 PM
You definately need to fix the leak in the rack but I doubt you will be able to change the seal in the rack. If it is leaking there is damage to the seal as well as the inside of the housing the seal rides on. there are also several seals on a rack. The rack itself may have damage on it from the dirt getting into it and scraping it. I'm not saying you can't do it but I would try to find one that is in good shape used. before I tried to replace the seals. There is no reason the rack should be causing the squeeking so I'm sure it is your springs and struts. They may not be installed correctly. This would explain the clunking sound you hear when you move your wheel.

neoblue89lxi
01-21-2004, 07:36 PM
What could I have messed up. They aren't broken so why would they squeak? I did forget to do one thing but I don't think this would cause any noise but please let me know if you think otherwise. There is a washer thar goes inbetween the strut dust cover and the upper mount bushing. I forgot to put those back on. Could that cause any noise? It is number 10 called plate dust cover.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/catimgs/13SE00_J14.gif

nswst8
01-21-2004, 07:36 PM
PM me Greg, Your only over in Mandarin. I'll have some time tomarrow.
NSWST8 :cheers:

neoblue89lxi
01-21-2004, 07:40 PM
great. I have classes tommarow from 9:30 to 12:00 then 4:30 t o9:10 at unf. I still have your cell number let me know when I can call you and I am off on friday morning until 1:00.

nswst8
01-21-2004, 07:45 PM
Call me tomarrow. I can drop by Friday. Hope it won't be to chilliy in the morning.

Neuspeed87lx
01-21-2004, 07:48 PM
power steering belt loose ? that would cause a whine when the wheel is turned all the way to one side ....possible tie rod ends ?

neoblue89lxi
01-21-2004, 07:51 PM
Maybe the tie rod ends would fix the problem?

nswst8
01-21-2004, 08:00 PM
we'll do the multi super deluxe gold seal of approval LOOK.

Neuspeed87lx
01-21-2004, 08:22 PM
does it squeek when you turn the wheel back and forth ... ? when the car isnt moving ?

neoblue89lxi
01-21-2004, 08:25 PM
yes but it mostly just causes the pump to make a sound and the wheel starts to be hard to turn. It squeks constently and it doesn't when the car and wheel is not moving at all. It does squeak even when the car is turned off and I just push the front end down.

Blkblurr
01-22-2004, 04:32 AM
I suspect the coils of the spring are rubbing the strut housing. Mine made that kind of sound when the lower coils of my springs broke due to rusting. The only other thing I can think of but doubt this is the problem would be the A frame bushings may need to be replaced or lubed. I have not done this before so I'm not sure if they are prone to wearing out. It is possible that leaving off washer #10 caused your strut dust cover to be loose because the rubber bushing #7 with the center spacer tube #15 is not pressing on the dust cover allowing it to move and rub on the spring.

dalinxz
04-15-2007, 03:47 PM
I have a similar problem hope I'm not hijacking but basically it makes a noise back and forth even when the car is off, if Im driving on the highway it stops making noise. its really wierd. If I jack the car up and put it down again the noise stops for a while. It's really wierd.

Estimated Prophet
04-15-2007, 03:50 PM
My suspension was squeaking and it turned out to be my sway bar bushings. They're about $3 each from Honda.

dalinxz
04-15-2007, 04:02 PM
how much work is involved in installing them?

LX-incredible
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
how much work is involved in installing them?
Very easy, 10 mm socket for the brackets and 2 12 mm wrenches for the end links.

It could also be the upper control arm ball joints or bushings. Feel for vibration in the suspected components while pushing down on the car.

Blkblurr
04-16-2007, 08:32 AM
Wow this is an old thread.