PDA

View Full Version : Accord of the Month Suggestions

NXRacer
01-20-2004, 01:07 PM
i thought i'd post up my ideas progress so far here and see what ya'll have to say. I've been talking to joe about this and he's giving me some direction as to how we should do this and i thought i'd post up a draft of the nominee list thread and get some ideas for the real thing.

here's what i have so far:

OFFICIAL 'RIDE OF THE MONTH' NOMINEE LIST

Since the project ROTM has been given the green light, i am posting up this thread for nominations on who should be eligable. Just post up ideas of who should be nominated. NOMINATIONS ONLY, NO COMMENTS PLEASE.

Rules for entries:
1 - must be a current member for no less then 6 months and currently own the car.
2 - must have no considerable visable rust or other body damage (dents, dings, primer spots etc)
3 - can not have any missing external body parts (fenders, hood, bumpers etc)
4 - no self nominations. Nominating yourself could result in disqualification.

Winners will be selected up to a month ahead of time. Each month the car will be chosen as randomly as possible so no favors are picked. This is going to be as straightfoward as possible. Past winners will be posted up to help keep track of who has won. Since this will be 'ride of the month' there will be no duplicates for nominations. Once your car has been chosen it will not be available for nomination for a year. This will give as many cars as possible to be ROTM.

k-roy
01-20-2004, 01:19 PM
I like where you are going with it but I say let the n00bs have a shot at it to, like K-MOD for example.

87accordlxi
01-20-2004, 01:28 PM
OFFICIAL 'RIDE OF THE MONTH' NOMINEE LIST

Since the project ROTM has been given the green light, i am posting up this thread for nominations on who should be eligable. Just post up ideas of who should be nominated. NOMINATIONS ONLY, NO COMMENTS PLEASE.

Rules for entries:
1 - must be a current member for no less then 6 months and currently own the car.
I wouldn't object to this. I think we can go a couple months shorter, but it's not a major hangup

2 - must have no considerable visable rust or other body damage (dents, dings, primer spots etc)
OK

OK

Definitely agreed. I remember when we first started the Buyer/Seller ratings, people were starting new threads to talk about themselves :rolleyes:

Winners will be selected up to a month ahead of time. Each month the car will be chosen as randomly as possible so no favors are picked.
I am still unclear on how a random drawing can be accomplished and make people believe without a doubt that it was actually random and not just someone's choice. I agree that random would be better than a poll, but I need explanation of how it can be implemented.

This is going to be as straightfoward as possible. Past winners will be posted up to help keep track of who has won. Since this will be 'ride of the month' there will be no duplicates for nominations. Once your car has been chosen it will not be available for nomination for a year. This will give as many cars as possible to be ROTM.

NXRacer
01-20-2004, 01:34 PM
I like where you are going with it but I say let the n00bs have a shot at it to, like K-MOD for example.
a shot at it as in how? like elligable for ROTM?? He'll have to wait until he's been a member for a while.

i also thought that if you've been a member for less then the specified time, but you're a contributing member, then you're elligible since you've put money down to the site.

NXRacer
01-20-2004, 01:38 PM
[/b]

I am still unclear on how a random drawing can be accomplished and make people believe without a doubt that it was actually random and not just someone's choice. I agree that random would be better than a poll, but I need explanation of how it can be implemented.

im not sure yet how it'll be done. maybe we can come up with a creative but fair way to do it.

anybody have any ideas?

Mike's89AccordLX
01-20-2004, 01:50 PM
I really like how this is being setup. I'm also a little confused on how it would be random. I think the users have to be active like online every now and then. And then we can get a list of those people and then just draw names out of a hat or we can put them on a list on paper and then shut your eyes and point with a pen. I think we would have a mod or an admin do that name choosing so people can't complain. How's that sound? Can we have a mod or an admin volunteer to do this?

Oh and after the ROTM is picked then that name gets crossed off the list. So that way you wouldn't be wasting paper every month :)

NXRacer
01-20-2004, 02:02 PM
joe told me before that he doesnt want to have the mods/admins be super active in this because they're busy enough as it is. Of course they'll be over looking the whole project, but it'll be up to us 'peons' to do the dirty work.

I think picking out of a hat would be the best idea. And everybody will have to just deal with it if they have a problem as to who's been picked.

87accordlxi
01-20-2004, 02:05 PM
I think we would have a mod or an admin do that name choosing so people can't complain.

Ohhh people would still complain. In fact, I'm sure certain people would complain simply because that ability is solely granted to the mods and admins.

It could be based on a point system. Say out of a total of three points, the person(s) with the most nominations gets 1 point. Then the winner of a popular vote (poll) gets 1 point. If the person(s) who has the most nominations is different than the person who won the popular vote, then it goes to the Admin for a tiebreaker. If the person who has the most nominations is the same as the popular vote winner, then he/she has 2 out 3 points and would automatically win AOM, and Admin voting would be irrelevant. Does this make sense? The winner would require at least a 2/3 majority.

NXRacer
01-20-2004, 02:26 PM
thats kinda complicated, but its better then picking out of a hat.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-20-2004, 06:10 PM
I don't know I guess that got me confused so if you guys think its the best way then lets do it.

k-roy
01-20-2004, 06:21 PM
I like the idea of having a point system to determine the users from different factors. Like motor/body/interior.

I got a good question. Do you guys think the foundation should pick the ROTM or is it going to be up to the public users? My opinion is the Foundation members and mods/admins should decide.

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 08:52 AM
we're gonna have a ROTM 'board' that does selections and write ups. But we were thinking that foundation members/mods would oversee the whole project.

'A20A3'
01-21-2004, 02:18 PM
I like Kroy's perspective on this one.

What do you mean 'oversee'?

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Oversee = in charge of everything

if nobody has any more imput/ideas for this, i'm gonna post up the nominee list on friday and hopefully have our first AOM on Feb 1st.

87accordlxi
01-21-2004, 02:45 PM
I want to see some suggestions from people concerning how you think this should be set up. I want more people's opinions in on this, not less.

I would like to see some suggestions on...

1. How people will be nominated.
2. How we choose the winner
3. How we keep track of who has already won, and when they won
4. How long can it be before someone who has won can be nominated again
5. Requirements, if any, that are needed to be nominated
6. Whose job this should be to handle (A sticky situation, and no we aren't adding new staff for this)
7. Who comes up with the write-up for each month (I'm thinking whoever nominates the person should do the write-up)
8. How it will be displayed (announcement, sticky thread, combination of both? It cannot be off-site)
9. Deadlines for nominations and for choosing the winner

Mike's89AccordLX
01-21-2004, 02:53 PM
That sounds like a good idea.

87accordlxi
01-21-2004, 03:00 PM
we're gonna have a ROTM 'board' that does selections and write ups. But we were thinking that foundation members/mods would oversee the whole project.

Now hold on a minute, there's no way we can get this organized and have an AOM by February. And where the did this "board" idea come from? This hasn't been fully discussed on the board (regular members should contribute to the discussion, not just foundation) and hasn't been discussed at all among the Admin. We aren't going to just make up the process as we go along, this is going to be very structured and institutionalized if it has anything to do with me. It would have to be if it is going to be an ongoing process. We'll shoot for a timetable of getting this sorted out by early February in time for preparations of a March AOM.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-21-2004, 03:07 PM
Well then I think we need to move this thread into the regular forum b/c everyone else deserves to see what we've been talking about then. Or we can somehow combine the two existing threads to make it less complicated. I think we need to get about 5 to 10 people that want to help organize this thing and then get on AIM and have a chatroom so we can have an open dicussion about everything that will go on. I think it would be best to have foundation, mod, and admins handle all of the preperations. But everyone will be allowed to participate in voting and being able to have their car as ROTM.

-Mike

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 03:14 PM
the 'board' i was referring to was just the people who are interested in helping out and will contribute some help to get this up and going. Im just taking some initiative to get this going and if the admins think it needs more time then we'll take more time. I want this to be a quality thing too, but i thought it wouldnt be a bad idea to at least get a list started of eligable accords.

Mike's89AccordLX
01-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Well I think this is what we need to do. Have a sign up list for everyone that has an eligible accord. We could just make a thread and people would just post their name and maybe one pic. Nothing else just name and a pic. We don't want any comments or anything. And then the people that are in charge of setting this up will decide who is eligible by that list and then we can pick 10 or however many people randomly out of that list of people. And then we can contact those people and have them get us certain pics of the car (different angles and views). And then we will put a poll up with each contestants name and a few shots of their car. And then everyone would then be allowed to cast their votes. And we should only have the voting only like 1 week or something like that.

What do you guys think about that?

-Mike

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 03:34 PM
Nobody can nominate their own car for AOM. However many accords we deem elligable those will go on the list for AOM.

Joe - let us (the non admin folks) know when the admins/mods have had a chance to discuss this and what you want to do to move foward with this. I guess i'll just wait to move on until i hear from 'management' about what to do next. I dont want to step on any toes here, i'd just like to do as much as possible to keep this moving foward.

maka_RTH
01-21-2004, 03:58 PM
I just read up on how this is going, and it's sounding good. I agree on the fact that there should be a minimum time that someone has to have been a member, with the exception of contributing members. I also support having a poll in the selection process, because that will also help cut down on the assumption that it is the one favorite of the mod/admin choosing(assuming that route were taken instead). Along with the poll, the point system in general would be great. I think Mike has a good idea on the nominations with the pics and whatnot. I agree with the fact that this should be run by the foundation members(ultimately admins/mods, but delegated to us), but it has to have the input of the regular user as well or you run into conflicts. If it's neccessary we can always fine tune the process in the future, but I also agree on the fact that we should take more time to make the process as good as possible before we officially start. anyways..., my two cents, seeing as how i'm not on too often these days...

87accordlxi
01-21-2004, 04:27 PM
All's I'm saying is that we shouldn't be in any rush to get this done and ready for the board. Our backs aren't against the wall on this, so there's no pressure. I want to do it once, and do it right because I've done things through urgency or in response to considerable member initiative (signature rules) and have had to go back and revise it because it the original plan didn't work out so well. Let's not start a thread or do anything just yet, but rather simply work out the plan first. I would like to get input from regular members, but nobody seems to be saying anything other than the usual "it's a great idea!"

I think we can strike a comprimise between random voting (ultimate fairness) and poll voting (easiest). If my point system was too confusing, then we can do something like Caleb said where the nominees are chosen at random, and then voted on with a poll. Say we leave a thread open for the first two weeks of each month asking for nominees for that month. Put all the eligible (see #1 below) nominees in a hat and draw out 5 names (see #2 and #3 below). The use a poll and let the members decide. And the winner of the poll on the 30th/31st of that month is the AOM. No need for Admin approval.

#1. I think we all agree on requirements, except I think 3 or 4 months membership is more reasonable. We will also have to require that the nominator include a picture and brief description of the nominee's car, as well as write a paragraph or so as a write-up. Since there will be lazy shits who will ultimately neglect to do the write-up, perhaps the Foundation can come up with a write-up in that case.

#2. I will only agree to random nomination as long as the nominees can be aproved of by the admins prior to posting. Since things can move slowly in the Admin section, that will usually mean me, and whoever else decides to contribute in the day or two that we can devote for approval. The point is to watch and see if people's friends somehow keep being "randomly" chosen to be in the top 5.

#3. I think it's best that no matter how many nominations a person receives from different people, they just get one entry in the hat. It increases the chances for newer guys who may not have as many friends on the board.

NXRacer
01-21-2004, 10:28 PM
i have a question. who would be the 'nominator' for each month?

Dibbs
01-22-2004, 05:48 AM
Joe, I will make my suggestions coinciding numericly w/ your questions.

1. The Administration nominates a top five list.

2. The list is put in a poll "Vote for Accord of the Month" or similar and let the members decide.

3. I'm in favor of making an archive list (linked to the welcome page) w/ simple info like month, year, who won and a link to a write up in the pics section. Make it an announcement b/c it is a write up and not a true thread. Plus no bickering, flossing etc on the matter. Only make it sticky for that one month, then archive the write up.

4. I agree w/ Caleb. We've got enough worthy 3geez out there that could fill up more than a year so I say at least one year before that particular accord can be nominated again. That's not to say that if one member has 2 worthy cars, they can't have both cars win in the same year.

5. Perhaps have members send a PM to some sort of organizer, stating they want to be nominated and provide links to pics of their cars. I'm in favor of keeping requirements to a minimum. I'd vote for a 3g that looked brand new like it rolled off the showroom floor just as fast as I would vote for OSS's car.

6./7. I'm sure there is someone that can be found willing to devote the time and has the ability to make a write up that will show the car in an even greater light than it would w/ just some pictures. This responsibility should be ultimatly be chosen by the administration. Let the Admins/mods ask those who they believe is qualified enough to take on this responsibility and decide from there.

8. I think announcement is the way to go. That leaves out the possibility of cluttering the write-up w/ negative comments or excess flossing of the car itself. Make the announcement run from the first to last days of the month, then archive it.

9. Those in charge of nominations should make the nominations in the first week of the month. The second and third weeks used for voting in the poll (14 day poll). The 4th week and whatever days left over used to organize the write up on the car making it ready to launch the first day of the next month.

Please subject this to any criticism you guys deem necessary. If something suggested is logisticly out of scope, then let it be known.

87accordlxi
01-22-2004, 07:06 AM
Joe, I will make my suggestions coinciding numericly w/ your questions.

1. The Administration nominates a top five list.
I'd be afraid that people would cry foul and say we're picking favorites. Besides, there's only handful of us versus hundreds of active members. Members would have a better clue who to nominate than Admins.

2. The list is put in a poll "Vote for Accord of the Month" or similar and let the members decide.
OK

3. I'm in favor of making an archive list (linked to the welcome page) w/ simple info like month, year, who won and a link to a write up in the pics section. Make it an announcement b/c it is a write up and not a true thread. Plus no bickering, flossing etc on the matter. Only make it sticky for that one month, then archive the write up.
We're thinking of listing the past winners in the AOM announcement. Maybe we can include an archive of the write-ups in a thread in Accord Pics. I don't want to have too many sticky threads at the top of that forum though.

4. I agree w/ Caleb. We've got enough worthy 3geez out there that could fill up more than a year so I say at least one year before that particular accord can be nominated again. That's not to say that if one member has 2 worthy cars, they can't have both cars win in the same year.
OK

5. Perhaps have members send a PM to some sort of organizer, stating they want to be nominated and provide links to pics of their cars. I'm in favor of keeping requirements to a minimum. I'd vote for a 3g that looked brand new like it rolled off the showroom floor just as fast as I would vote for OSS's car.
The best idea yet is to just start a sticky thread where people can nominate whoever they wish. Requirements are kept to a minimum, but will have a minimum membership time requirement, and some basic cosmetic requirements such as keeping rust to a minimum and no visble body damage...stuff like that

6./7. I'm sure there is someone that can be found willing to devote the time and has the ability to make a write up that will show the car in an even greater light than it would w/ just some pictures. This responsibility should be ultimatly be chosen by the administration. Let the Admins/mods ask those who they believe is qualified enough to take on this responsibility and decide from there.[/color]
Agreed. The administration would ultimately have the authority to choose who puts this together. Naturally, I would rather have a mod do it, and that would be discussed when we get the basic plan hammered out. But if a mod is unable, then we will have to choose someone. An idea was to allow foundation members to do it, but I recognize that there are alot of regular members who would be willing and able as well. Maybe have rotating coordinators made up of regular members, Foundation members, and possibly mods. A new coordinator can be switched in every 2 or three months or so. If you're a crappy coordinator, then you're fired. There should be no shortage of people willing to do this.

8. I think announcement is the way to go. That leaves out the possibility of cluttering the write-up w/ negative comments or excess flossing of the car itself. Make the announcement run from the first to last days of the month, then archive it.
OK

9. Those in charge of nominations should make the nominations in the first week of the month. The second and third weeks used for voting in the poll (14 day poll). The 4th week and whatever days left over used to organize the write up on the car making it ready to launch the first day of the next month.
That's pretty much what we were thinking as well

87accordlxi
01-22-2004, 07:30 AM
i have a question. who would be the 'nominator' for each month?

Well, Dibbs brought this up too. I think the coordinator should be a mod, but like I said before, I don't want this to increase anyone's workload to the point where it takes too much of their time. If a mod can't do it, then the Admins can appoint 4 members (2 Foundation, 2 regulars) and each one takes care of the AOM duties for three months at a time.

So far, coordinator duties would include (in chronological order):
1st of every month: Starting the thread asking for nominations. Request thread stickied.
13th of every month: Requesting thread closed and randomly choose 5 nominees. Submit nominees for Admin approval.
15th of each month: Start new poll with pics and brief descriptions of each nominee. Have poll close in 14 days. (This option is available when taken to the second page of creating a poll)
While poll is open: Request write-ups from the nominators of the leading entries in the poll. Just to get a head start so everything will be ready for the AOM announcement.
When poll is closed: See who won, do the write-up if need be, submit everything to me so I can create the AOM announcement.
1st of the next month: I put up the announcement, coordinator starts new thread asking for nominees.

I'm moving this to the feedback forum so it gets more visibility. There's alot of good ideas here.

lightbulblxi
01-22-2004, 09:27 AM
- for this rule, i think that a person should have at least 300 posts, and must be a member for no less then 4 months. this would eliminate people who could have possibly bought there car with a lot of the stuff that is done to it already done to it.but it would allow people(such as me) to be eligible, cuz i have been a member for almost 5 months, and i bought my car bone stock, and have done a lot to it, and im sure there are others like me.

for this one, i think we should have different categories, such as suspension, engine, exterior, interior, and ICE. be cause there are people that fit this rule, but not a lot. it would give people who are mainly concentrating on 1 thing at a time (such as performance or or handling) a chance. because the way the rule is set up, it only allows the people that have concentrated on making there car pretty to be eligible, not others. because, there are few people on here who can honestly say they dont have a single dent ot spot of rust. and i dont think we would have enuff people to even make it through a year.

i agree with this one, cuz then basically, these are junk yard cars.

i also agree with this one.

just my $.02.

lightbulblxi
01-22-2004, 09:38 AM
the winner of each month should get something. such as a new homepage, so when any one goes to www.3geez.com , the first thing they will see is a nice picture of the ride of the month winner, their name, and one of those thingies that u click, that says ENTER, which will bring u to the page we have first rite now. and maybe a thingy like foundation members and mods have under their names, that says ride of the month.
these are just ideas, so if its too much work then dont do it. the last thing i wanna do is make too much work for people, imean, its just a website, not their job.

NXRacer
01-22-2004, 09:55 AM
the winner of each month should get something. such as a new homepage, so when any one goes to www.3geez.com , the first thing they will see is a nice picture of the ride of the month winner, their name, and one of those thingies that u click, that says ENTER, which will bring u to the page we have first rite now. and maybe a thingy like foundation members and mods have under their names, that says ride of the month.
these are just ideas, so if its too much work then dont do it. the last thing i wanna do is make too much work for people, imean, its just a website, not their job.
i was thinking about that too. There are a LOT of forums (HT, Accordinglydone, etc) that have a main page with info and stuff. That would be an ideal place to do it. Does the 3geez board have the ability to have a main 'home' page?

87accordlxi
01-22-2004, 10:05 AM
A "home page" is possible with vbulletin, but Marc is the only one who can install that. And really, even if we had the time, I don't think either of us have the skill to install it because it's a very complicated hack. Especially since we're still learning the ropes of vb3. If we could do that, then we wouldn't be going through the troble of the 86-89accord website. When the ball gets rolling on the 86-89accord.com website again, the AOM will definitely be included. But as of now, anything that would supplant the board as the destination for the 3geez domain is unlikely to occur.

Bloodlust
01-22-2004, 11:11 AM
I think its generally a good idea. My only suggestion is that people should only be allowed to put a vote in, and not be able to post a reply. People are just going to whore the thread up, or fights will happen. Thats my only concern.

Dibbs
01-22-2004, 11:44 AM
I think its generally a good idea. My only suggestion is that people should only be allowed to put a vote in, and not be able to post a reply. People are just going to whore the thread up, or fights will happen. Thats my only concern.

:werd:
Exactly my concern w/ the nomination process.

87accordlxi
01-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Well I don't think there should be debate or fighting about this either. The whole reason why I'm making this so structured is so that it's a very straightforward and fair process. If someone wants to nominate a member, then they just have to post a picture of the car and tell us why. And I see absolutely no reason why we should care if anyone disagrees with that nomination. If it's a bad nomination, then it would be weeded out by not adhering to the requirements, or it will be voted against if it is picked to be in the top 5. If it's a legit nomination, then it will be given it's fair chance, no matter what anybody thinks.

As for the poll, it would be very simple to go through and delete the replies. I don't see any reason why people would need to reply when all we need is their vote. So make a rule: No replies to the poll.

Dibbs
01-22-2004, 11:56 AM
fine by me

KaMiKaZeE
01-23-2004, 02:10 PM
OK a fresh pair of eyes have read through this thread, and I have a few cents of my own to throw in here. It seems to me that we are approaching this in all the wrong ways.

First, if there is going to be a 'ACCORD of the month', then why would it make any difference at all as to how long someone has been a member? Maybe if it was a 'MEMBER of the month" contest it would matter, but how long someone's been here really has no affect whatsoever on how cool their ACCORD is. Someone could join tomorrow and already have made thier 3g the pimpinest ride here before they even joined. So if it really is a AOTM contest, then EVERY member that owns a 3g Accord should be eligible.

Second, I have to say that the whole "random" picking idea is pretty useless IMO for an Accord of the month contest. It should be a car that is picked purposely and deliberately by the other members because it is a really f'kin cool ride, not because it was randomly selected to recieve glory and admiration that month for no good reason.

Third, as far as self-nomination, I don't see why it should be a problem. If a new member has a really tight ride that they think has a shot at AOM but no one has seen it yet, how will it get nominated and get the chance it deserves UNLESS the owner can self-nominate it? And if the AOM is decided by a member poll, then why would it matter who nominates themselves anyway? They still won't get AOM unless the other members agree that his ride deserves it by the majority vote.

Fourth, I think it would be good to let the owner of the AOM do their own write-up on the car since they obviously will know the car and what's been done to it better than anyone else. Also it should be limited to being strictly about the car, not the member, since as I said this is an AOM contest not a MOM contest. And to prevent problems with the write-ups not getting done, as well as to make selection easier, I think that anyone with an accord that is up for nomination should submit his write-up on his car along with a couple of good pictures of it BEFORE voting takes place, so that everyone can read through the write-ups and look at all the cars and THEN make their vote on which accord most deserves the award that month. Also, for an award, I think that a 3geez AOM window sticker and/or t-shirt would be a great prize, and of course having their accord's pics and write up displayed prominently on the site for that month.

I think letting members vote to make the decision is by far the best way to ensure people are satisfied with the decision since it was made by the majority. Thats my thoughts on this AOM idea for now. Let me know what you think. :)

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 02:22 PM
WB Kami. You've been pretty much a stranget lately.

I'm kinda leaning w/ Kami on this part about length of membership or amount of posts. I think the requirements should be rather loose. Of course being a current member would be a requirement but as long as they have a worthy car, let them be eleigible too. If people don't appreciate the fact they're a newer member, their votes will reflect that.

NXRacer
01-23-2004, 02:42 PM
well you make a good point about new members, but why should old members be ruled out just because a new member shows up with a fat ride? He could wait a few months until a few other old(er) members have had AOM first.

THe random selection was brought up because some members could claim favorites was played so other members accords were picked instead of theirs. This way there can be no confusion as to who's car is picked for the month.

If a new user comes on and wants their car to be up for nominations but nobody has seen it yet, they should just post up pics in the picture section so its available to everybody. Or they could just put up a 'suggestion' that their car is nice and would like to be nominated for AOM. But thats all they could do. Just get their car up so people would look at it.

Its not a bad idea to have the owner of the AOM do the write up, but then you come into problems with them slacking off and not getting the write up done. We could have a 2nd choice that we can pick if the first one doesnt come up with a write up.

thats my $.02

KaMiKaZeE
01-23-2004, 03:04 PM
well you make a good point about new members, but why should old members be ruled out just because a new member shows up with a fat ride? He could wait a few months until a few other old(er) members have had AOM first.
No one should be ruled out at all. Everyone should get an equal chance. The point is, the length of time someone is a member or their posts should not even be a factor because the AOM should be about an exeptional accord, not a member. Perhaps the member who owns each car should not even be mentioned until after they win.

THe random selection was brought up because some members could claim favorites was played so other members accords were picked instead of theirs. This way there can be no confusion as to who's car is picked for the month.
If everyone is allowed to vote on the AOM, then there is no room for argument because the majority of members agree with the decision and all are the "judges" of the contest. Its simple and fair and will make the most people happy.

If a new user comes on and wants their car to be up for nominations but nobody has seen it yet, they should just post up pics in the picture section so its available to everybody. Or they could just put up a 'suggestion' that their car is nice and would like to be nominated for AOM. But thats all they could do. Just get their car up so people would look at it.
If the AOM is decided by a vote, then nominations mean nothing other than your car can get looked at anyway. If people don't like it then they won't vote for you and if they think your car deserves it then they will. So someone putting their own car up really doesn't change anything.

Its not a bad idea to have the owner of the AOM do the write up, but then you come into problems with them slacking off and not getting the write up done. We could have a 2nd choice that we can pick if the first one doesnt come up with a write up.
Like I mentioned, if everyone does their write-up before the vote takes place, then there is no problem. If someone doesn't do their write-up, then their car simply isn't in the contest that month. Also being able to read the write ups before voting would greatly improve the contest because some accords might get picked for an AOM because of performance or interior mods and not just on a pic alone.

87accordlxi
01-23-2004, 09:41 PM
OK a fresh pair of eyes have read through this thread, and I have a few cents of my own to throw in here. It seems to me that we are approaching this in all the wrong ways.

First, if there is going to be a 'ACCORD of the month', then why would it make any difference at all as to how long someone has been a member? Maybe if it was a 'MEMBER of the month" contest it would matter, but how long someone's been here really has no affect whatsoever on how cool their ACCORD is. Someone could join tomorrow and already have made thier 3g the pimpinest ride here before they even joined. So if it really is a AOTM contest, then EVERY member that owns a 3g Accord should be eligible.
This is an isse that really doesn't matter to me. Like I said before, 6 months is a bit excessive. Feel free to work this out amongst yourselves.

Second, I have to say that the whole "random" picking idea is pretty useless IMO for an Accord of the month contest. It should be a car that is picked purposely and deliberately by the other members because it is a really f'kin cool ride, not because it was randomly selected to recieve glory and admiration that month for no good reason.
There has to be some preliminary way to narrow down the choices before this going to a popular vote. We don't want 15 people in a poll because it would stratify the votes, and the winner would probably win with 3 or 4 votes, which seems silly to me. And if a person makes it through the requirements and has a nice clean car, how can that be called winning for no good reason?

Third, as far as self-nomination, I don't see why it should be a problem. If a new member has a really tight ride that they think has a shot at AOM but no one has seen it yet, how will it get nominated and get the chance it deserves UNLESS the owner can self-nominate it? And if the AOM is decided by a member poll, then why would it matter who nominates themselves anyway? They still won't get AOM unless the other members agree that his ride deserves it by the majority vote.
I just don't like the idea of people tooting their own horn. If they have pics of their car, they should post them in their own thread like any normal person would do. It's why we have the Accord Pics forum. Posting them beforehand will alert people to that person's nice car and they will eventually be nominated.

Fourth, I think it would be good to let the owner of the AOM do their own write-up on the car since they obviously will know the car and what's been done to it better than anyone else. Also it should be limited to being strictly about the car, not the member, since as I said this is an AOM contest not a MOM contest. And to prevent problems with the write-ups not getting done, as well as to make selection easier, I think that anyone with an accord that is up for nomination should submit his write-up on his car along with a couple of good pictures of it BEFORE voting takes place, so that everyone can read through the write-ups and look at all the cars and THEN make their vote on which accord most deserves the award that month. Also, for an award, I think that a 3geez AOM window sticker and/or t-shirt would be a great prize, and of course having their accord's pics and write up displayed prominently on the site for that month.
This doesn't matter to me either. Whoever does the write-up is fine with me. I agree this isn't about the member, it's about the car. As an award, we can give that person a temporary banner under their name like the MOD or ADMIN banner that says Accord of the Month. We have alot of prime real estate up to the right of the main logo at the top of the page. We can fit a couple banners there, one of them being an AOM banner. No promises on that, it's just an idea.

I think letting members vote to make the decision is by far the best way to ensure people are satisfied with the decision since it was made by the majority. Thats my thoughts on this AOM idea for now. Let me know what you think. :)
Thanks for the comments. We have a week to sort this out, and aside from a few details relating to the nominationand requirements, I think we have a nicely planned system. And the kinks should be worked out in the coming days. We should plan a AIM chat for this. I can do it anytime this weekend.

NXRacer
01-23-2004, 11:02 PM
im gonna be busy all day saturday, but i'll be available in the evening, like around 7pm pst. and maybe sunday, but thats iffy. i could change some plans to make a chat session tho.

87accordlxi
01-26-2004, 04:02 PM
Let me know how this looks. I think I covered all the bases, but let me know if I missed anything. Also, let me know if any of this is objectionable. :cheers:

1) Accord of the Month Requirements

In order to be AOM (Accord of the Month), there are a few requirements. These requirements must ALL be satisfied in order for the nomination process to continue for an individual.

- The individual must be a current member of 3geez, and has been registered for a period of three months or more.
- The individual must be in one of the following usergroups: Registered (3geez Newbie, DX User, LX User, LXi User, SEi User), Foundation Member, Moderator, Administrator, Director.
- The AOM must be a 3rd Generation Honda Accord.
- There must be no considerable damage or missing body parts on the vehicle, unless said changes are meant to aesthetically enhance the vehicle's appearance or increase performance.
- A AOM-winning vehicle is ineligible for AOM consideration for a period of one year after it was last awarded AOM.

2)The Nominating Process

- A thread is to be created in the Accord of the Month forum by the AOM Coordinator for nominations on the 1st of every month. The title is to read: "Accord of the Month Nomination: *insert month here*"
- 3geez Admininstration is to stick this thread at the top of the forum.
- Self nominations are not allowed.
- When nominating a vehicle, please do so in the thread dedicated to nominations ONLY. Any posts in other threads will be ignored.
- When nominating a member, a picture of the vehicle MUST be included, as well as a brief explanation of why that car is being nominated. If no explanation or picture is provided, that nomination will be removed from consideration. Please see http://www.3geez.com/announcement.php?f=12&announcementid=28 for instructions on how to post pictures.
- If your vehicle is chosen to continue to the voting stage, then you, as the vehicle owner, are required to submit a full write-up summarizing the vehicle's features. This write-up is subject to editing by 3geez Administration or the AOM Coordinator.
- In the event that the vehicle owner does not provide a write-up, the member who nominated the vehicle will provide the write-up for the vehicle.
- No discussion is allowed in the nomination or voting poll. In the nomination thread, all posts that are not nominations will be deleted.
- The nomination thread is to be left open for fourteen days. After fourteen days, the thread is to be unstuck.

3) The Selection Process

- Valid nominations that meet the requirements mentioned above will be randomly selected by the AOM Coordinator. There is to be a total of five nominees randomly chosen to continue to the voting stage.
- Nominees randomly selected by the AOM Coordinator will be approved of by 3geez Administration.

4) The Voting Process

- A poll is to be created by the AOM Coordinator in the Accord of the Month forum where all members can vote for the AOM immediately after nominees are approved of by 3geez Administraton. The title of this thread is to read: "Accord of the Month Voting: *insert month here*"
- 3geez Admininstration is to stick this thread at the top of the forum.
- The voting thread is to be left open for fourteen days.
- In the voting poll, ALL posts not made by the AOM Coordinator or 3geez Administration will be deleted. The point is to make voting and nomination as objective as possible. If you don't agree with a particular nomination, then don't vote for it.
- The winner of the voting poll after fourteen days is to be the Accord of the Month for the following month.

5) The Award Process
- Upon the closing of the AOM voting thread, 3geez Adminstration is to create an announcement at the top of the Accord of the Month forum.
- The Winner Announcement is to contain a picture of the winning vehicle and the write-up submitted by the owner of the vehicle or member who nominated the vehicle.
- The winner will receive a custom user title signifying his/her award of AOM.
- A list is to be created in the Winner Announcement listing the past 11 AOM vehicles. Vehicles on this list are ineligible for AOM nomination.

6) Administration

- 4 people are to be selected by 3geez Administration to be AOM Coordinators. There are to be three Foundation members chosen, and one regular member chosen to be AOM Coordinator.
- AOM Coordinators are to each serve 3 month terms each year of being charge of AOM nomination and selection. 3geez Administraton is to determine the specific months that each coordinator will serve.
- If an AOM Coordinator is absent for any part his/her term, said coordinator will be removed and replaced. 3geez Administration would be appreciative of a notice from a coordinator in the event that he/she will be unavailable for their term.
- AOM Coordinators are subject to removal by 3geez Administration for unsatisfactory performance.
- AOM Coordinators will receive a custom user title signifying their status as AOM Coordinator.

Dibbs
01-27-2004, 04:36 AM
Simply put, I like it.

One thing I thought of....During the nomination process:

If someone nominates a members ride, another member must second the nomination to make it eligible to be voted on for AOM. I think this will gauge the members interest, to a bit of an extent, in a given car. This probably won't be a problem early on because a lot of the more well known 3rd gens are going to be nominated, but something I see in the months ahead when some of the more popular accords have won the AOM. This reminds me, there is no mention of an AOM winner not being eligible for a year, is this still a stipulation or not?

87accordlxi
01-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Simply put, I like it.

One thing I thought of....During the nomination process:

If someone nominates a members ride, another member must second the nomination to make it eligible to be voted on for AOM. I think this will gauge the members interest, to a bit of an extent, in a given car. This probably won't be a problem early on because a lot of the more well known 3rd gens are going to be nominated, but something I see in the months ahead when some of the more popular accords have won the AOM. This reminds me, there is no mention of an AOM winner not being eligible for a year, is this still a stipulation or not?

Yeah, I knew there were a few things I missed. The AOM winner will not be eligible again for a year. The notion of seconding the nomination doesn't bother me at first because like you said, the well known cars will be nominated right away. But once we get to the lesser known cars, do you think that each person will get more than one nomination? When you ask for a motion seconded, it can kinda evolve into a popularity contest of who has more friends to nominate them, which puts lesser known users at a disadvantage. I'd personally favor just putting everyone who is a valid nomination into a hat and randomly drawing 5 people. If a person is lucky enough to get one nomination, I think that should be fair enough. But you guys feel free to discuss that.

Dibbs
01-27-2004, 06:34 AM
I see your logic.....that's fine. No need to second nominations.

NXRacer
01-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Instead of the nominator doing the write up, why not get the owner to? Seems like nobody but the owner would know whats been done with the car and stuff. Once we get a list of 5 eligable accords, just notify each owner that they're up for the running for AOM and that they need to do a write up for their car in case it gets picked......if the owner is a no show, then the nominator can do the write up as a back up plan.

Dibbs
01-27-2004, 08:30 AM
yeah....that does sound better

BDaccordguy
01-27-2004, 09:43 AM
sounds like you guys got this pretty much figured out. I just read the entire thread and i like how the aspects of the AOM have turned out. It sounds like it should work pretty well.

lightbulblxi
01-27-2004, 10:22 AM
yea,sounds good!

Dibbs
01-27-2004, 10:23 AM
Just in time for February too.....hint hint

87accordlxi
01-27-2004, 10:25 AM
OK, it's changed so that the vehicle owner has to do the write-up, with the nominator as the backup. I hope nobody is alarmed with the apparent complexity of this system. In practice, the process will be much more fluid after a couple months, and it will have a much higher degree of fairness to it compared to what some other boards have.

*edit*
I have also added a few mundane technicalities in the requirements. Also, more importantly, I changed the rules regarding the forum where everything is posted to reflect the addition of the Accord of the Month subforum in Accord Pics.

NXRacer
01-27-2004, 10:39 AM
even i was kinda confused about the whole deal until i went over it a couple times. It looks like it'll work out pretty well.

Justin86
01-27-2004, 01:12 PM
Instead of the nominator doing the write up, why not get the owner to? Seems like nobody but the owner would know whats been done with the car and stuff. Once we get a list of 5 eligable accords, just notify each owner that they're up for the running for AOM and that they need to do a write up for their car in case it gets picked......if the owner is a no show, then the nominator can do the write up as a back up plan.
Yea that sounds like the best plan, have the people vote and then lets the winner list his/her mods. :cheers:

k-roy
01-27-2004, 01:34 PM
Ok Joe it looks like you have a good plan set out.
I say we go with it as it stands currently, if we keep making small changes it will go on for a long time.

Dibbs
01-27-2004, 01:37 PM
Ok Joe it looks like you have a good plan set out.
I say we go with it as it stands currently, if we keep making small changes it will go on for a long time.

If we were to keep it as it stands now, would we be able to start in February?

Mike's89AccordLX
01-27-2004, 01:41 PM
This sounds really good. I haven't done any posting in this thread b/c I think I said everything I needed to say in the other thread.

87accordlxi
01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Great! it's in the Admin forum for approval. The only thing that I am mulling over is whether or not we should pick 4 new AOM Coordinators every 12 months.

NXRacer
01-27-2004, 03:46 PM
maybe just have coordinators until either they resign, are absent or are kicked out due to bad work.

88LXi68
01-27-2004, 04:02 PM
Damn...I didnt see this thread at all till now. Anyway, I agree with pretty much everything said, but my only suggestion was maybe a T-Shirt for the winner and a calender made at the end of the year with all 12 cars.

Good work guys!

k-roy
01-27-2004, 04:06 PM
A calander is a great idea. I have hookups and can get them printed en mass.
We could the profits to help fund the site.

EvilPenciler
01-27-2004, 04:10 PM
http://contagiousgraphics.com/ you can get custom t-shirts+stickers yay

NXRacer
01-27-2004, 04:46 PM
the problem with those things is that it costs money and theres not a whole lot of it floating around here. I bet the admins might consider it if we could get stuff for free, but there's no way they're gonna spend money on something like that.

Justin86
01-27-2004, 05:14 PM
So we have these AOM Coordinators to pick and control everything. I belive it should be a voted process let all the members that have more then 100post vote on who they think is best.

87accordlxi
01-27-2004, 06:45 PM
A vote would just add one more process to this. We won't pick people who do not deserve it, or don't show an ability to handle the responsibility. Besides, these guys aren't mods, and their responsibilities are strictly administrative pertaining only to the AOM. Moderating the threads and member behavior is still up to the Mods and Admins. If a coordinator shows signs of incompetence or favoritism, then he's canned. I know the members don't stand for that, and we don't either. The proposed system has checks and balances where someone is always there to make sure everything is kosher.

Plus, we're still tossing around the idea of appointing a new round of people after 12 months. In that case, it doesn't make sense to appoint 4 people at once when just naming the first coordinator and probably the successor would be more realistic.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-28-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, I don't want to bother reading the 4 pages of this thread, so I will make it short and sweet...

The first Accord Of the Month should obviously be Oldschoolswap. Most done up accord on the site, as of now, and was one of the first (if not THE first) to have a B series engine swap. Mad props to him, and his pimpin car.

k-roy
01-28-2004, 12:28 AM
Well, I don't want to bother reading the 4 pages of this thread, so I will make it short and sweet...

The first Accord Of the Month should obviously be Oldschoolswap. Most done up accord on the site, as of now, and was one of the first (if not THE first) to have a B series engine swap. Mad props to him, and his pimpin car.
I believe he was the last accord of the month if I can remember correctly.

Dibbs
01-28-2004, 04:18 AM
maybe just have coordinators until either they resign, are absent or are kicked out due to bad work.

I agree. 12 months at the very minimum.

maka_RTH
01-28-2004, 05:16 PM
It all sounds good to me. I like the calendar idea. true, it would take money to start it, but the profits would go right back for next years calendar. i'd be interested in buying a calendar like this.

Justin86
01-28-2004, 08:01 PM
Well I guess everything has been covered so lets get this going. :)