PDA

View Full Version : speakers

coolcatkoko2000
01-22-2004, 09:14 AM
has anybody dealt with lightning audio speakers???

I can get them for pretty cheap and they sounded good in the store but will the sound good in my car too??

They were 6.5 160 w 3-ways for $49

What do u guys think.......

wallyyfm
01-22-2004, 09:23 AM
well, they're made by rockford, and i have a dealer for them in town, amps are ok, subs actually sound good, speakers, i dunno

my rule is, buy rockford fosgate for the better choice
im not advocating rockford is the best, far from it--however, i run their oldschool amps and subs, good stuff, todays line is all junk

my advice, cadence, infinity, or some other good driver

if you're in the market for cheap, get those pioneers at walmart, decent for your cash, ive run them for 4 years no probs

Hash_man_Se_i
01-22-2004, 10:50 AM
Ya, I totally agree with wallyyfm, rockfords older stuff was pretty good, but newer stuff is garbage, I would probably stay away from those speakers, especially cuz you can get pioneers for not much more money and they are way better quality.

But if you want real speakers, look in to something like clarion, alpine, Mcintosh or Focal.

Bloodlust
01-22-2004, 10:53 AM
I would recommend MB Quart or Audiobahn for speakers. Amps, Phoenix Gold all the way.

coolcatkoko2000
01-22-2004, 11:45 AM
I would recommend MB Quart or Audiobahn for speakers. Amps, Phoenix Gold all the way.

Audiobahn???? really......

wallyyfm
01-22-2004, 11:57 AM
Audiobahn???? really......

yeah, im not a big audiobahn person myself, but they have gotten better over the last few years

Bloodlust
01-22-2004, 12:15 PM
Yeah my friend has a pair of Audiobahn speakers in his car, not sure what model or anything, but let me tell you what those things scream. He isnt even powering them with an amp or anything. Nice punchy mids and clean highs. Almost made me jealous....well almost :D

Moodybluesr
01-22-2004, 01:41 PM
I don't think you're allowed to use Audiobahn and MB Quart in the same sentence. :D

For sound quality regardless of price: Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, A/D/S/, JBL GTI series... this is strictly talking full range drivers, now.

If you are more into the budget sound, Lightning Audio is OK, but I would personally recommend JBL GTO series, which can be had on eBay for roughly the same cost you are talking about. JBL/Infinity's Plus One woofer systems produce the most base in their price range, and they make a good quality driver. Hel, JBL has been in the business longer than almost anybody. Look for GTO603's... they can generally be had for less than $50 shipped on eBay and they sound great!

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2004, 12:40 AM
For sound quality regardless of price: Boston Acoustics, MB Quart, A/D/S/, JBL GTI series... this is strictly talking full range drivers, now.

A/D/S/ ?? What are they? I can't say I have ever heard of them. But the best sounding speakers I have ever heard are Focal's, especially the Utopias.

Moodybluesr
01-23-2004, 05:28 AM
A/D/S/ is a brand that has been around for a while... like me. :D They have been near the top ever since they started producing drivers, amplifiers, and processors several years ago. They don't produce anything low/middle end (or competition grade), so unless you are into serious audiophile equipment, you probably won't ever hear much about them. I used to have an old A/D/S/ 8 channel amp that ran the entire system in one of my previous cars (in fact, it was my old 88 LXi sedan) and it produced an incredibly clean sound. I almost like their amplifiers as well as I do pre-sellout Fosgate (my favorite amps... I own several of them).

http://www.sounddomain.com/news/ces/view_report.pl?vendor_id=ADS