PDA

View Full Version : shifer loose

Rendon LX-i
01-22-2004, 10:29 AM
okay when i got my car. i had to put a tranny. but it already had a short shifter in it. it shifts nice and everthing. i mean i race and it dont brother me. but its loose as fuck. i mean when its in gear fucking thing moves like 2 inches like it dead. u know like im in any gear. i can move it like im going to put it in another gear. anyway i can fix this or something.

shepherd79
01-22-2004, 11:01 AM
sounds like bushings need to be replaced.

nswst8
01-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Yeah, if they aren't urethane bushings and the last owner tried to short cut the mod. Its the bushing.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

Rendon LX-i
01-22-2004, 02:43 PM
i dont really know were it is. u guys got a pic or something. is it easy to change. really dum question but i never played aint attention to my shift linkages. let me know. thanks

k-roy
01-22-2004, 03:44 PM
You can get the manual from www.pauldesign.ru if you want a diagram.

skull1441
01-24-2004, 06:38 AM
where did u get the short shifter ????

Rendon LX-i
01-24-2004, 10:25 AM
came with the car. i think its as civic one. its adjustable. i can make it hell of short but then i can even shift. so i just leave it were the owner had it. still short as hell

PhydeauX
01-24-2004, 11:06 AM
That sounds like a pacesetter. The big canadates for this problem are the bushings, shift forks, or the internal shift linkages. The often overlooked bushings are the ones in the actual joint. Parts 16 and 17 in this pic http://www.slhondaparts.com/browse.asp?Model=ACCORD&Year=1986&TrimLevel=4DR+LXI&TransLevel=5MTKA&Section=F&Category=B++35++%7CSHIFT+LEVER&Doors=4&Emissions=KA&PartCatalogId=13SE00&ViewParts=true Energy suspension makes shiter bushings for the 84-87 civic that will replace 19 and 22 as well. Replacing 16 and 17 are easy, all you need is a jack a rachet and a little patients. When you get into replacing 22 you need to remove the exhaust heat shield and that usually involves droping the exhaust pipe. Those parts are rather cheap and it can be done in an afternoon. If its the shift forks or any of the internal linkages then you're going to need to rebuild/replace the tranny to take care of it. If you can still get it into gear then its not hurting anything and it can stay like that for years befire it really becomes a problem.

andy

Rendon LX-i
01-24-2004, 11:14 AM
yeah its just loose. no problem going into gear goes in easy. but just dont like the loose stick.

Slavic
06-03-2004, 08:21 PM
I'm probably way off, but this sounds like my problem. I'm missing the screw (#21 in the previously linked picture) that holds the torque rod (#18) in place. The previous owner made a coupling that holds the shift rod (#14) and the torque rod (#18) together so every few weeks it slips off and the shifter feels exactly as you described until I put the torque rod back in place.