PDA

View Full Version : Rear control arm/ball joint

BMS
01-22-2004, 11:04 AM
On the rear upper control arm - can the ball joints be replaced individually, or does the entire arm have to be replaced with the joint?

MrBen
01-22-2004, 12:48 PM
They can be replaced individually but you must have a press to put the new ball joint in. Typically it is easier to do this if you have the tools, otherwise, yes you must replace the entire arm.

stgardner
01-25-2004, 05:01 PM
When I was looking into this I was unable to find a separate part number for the rear upper control arm ball joint, only the complete control arm with ball joint.

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com (Majestic) lists the part for my car at $71.55. What's your labor worth?

If you replace the control arm, follow the torque instructions very carefully and DO NOT over tighten.

Guess how I learned that one.

BMS
01-25-2004, 05:24 PM
I bought the ball joint seperate, and took the arm/old ball joint in to a machine shop with the new ball joint, and i had them do the pressing for me. Then I put the old arm with the new ball joint back on the car. It rides so much better.

then I had to do the front uppper ball joints. Those were fun/way expensive. but the difference in ride quality/stiffness is incredible compared to what it used to be. definately worth the cash and labor.

I only questimated the torque when I put it all back together, but so far it seems to be fine. hopefully i guessed right.

SteveDX89
01-28-2004, 02:11 PM
My question on this is can't you do this yourself if you've got a vise and 2 pieces of pipe or big sockets? This is how the Haynes manual says to do the front lower joints but I didn't see anything about the back.

BMS
01-28-2004, 02:35 PM
On the front you need a vise and a little lube oil to press in the bushings. That one is easy.

But on the rear I don't think that you could do it yourself because the arm and ball joint are not flush, You have have some special way to hold it while you press it in. A simple vise wouldn't work. But it's cheap to have them do it for you, and you don't have to worry about bending the $50 part you just bought.

SteveDX89
01-28-2004, 03:56 PM
You can rent a ball joint press from Autozone. Pay the cover charge or whatever. Use it, take it back and get your money back. Cheaper than taking somewhere. :D

DBMaster
01-28-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah, that Auto Zone deal is great. I got spring compressors that way when I did my struts and a tie rod separator (NOT the pickle fork kind) when I replaced the P/S bellows.