PDA

View Full Version : Low frequency block

MrBen
01-22-2004, 12:53 PM
I recently got a sub and have a HU that does not have an equalizer. I don't want to blow out my speakers. I have heard about something that blocks the low frequencies to the interior speakers so all the bass comes out of the sub, which is what I want I think. What are your opinions? No I am not going to get a new HU.

Sabz5150
01-22-2004, 01:00 PM
I recently got a sub and have a HU that does not have an equalizer. I don't want to blow out my speakers. I have heard about something that blocks the low frequencies to the interior speakers so all the bass comes out of the sub, which is what I want I think. What are your opinions? No I am not going to get a new HU.

You can always pick up a small 4 channel amp with a crossover that will power your fronts and rears. You'll have cleaner sound that way too :)

There's a Crunch Drive 4 channel amp in Marketplace that might fit the bill.

Sabz5150
01-22-2004, 01:01 PM
Oh yeah, you can always buy "Bass Blockers". Basically they're small capacitors that are hooked to your speaks to block certain freuqencies. Check your local audio stores for 'em.

(Sorry for multiple posts)

MrBen
01-22-2004, 01:07 PM
I just called and they want 14.95 for a pair, so 30 bucks for all four speakers.

That's a lot, but I guess it saves me from blowing out my speakers.

KoNEY
02-02-2004, 05:32 PM
i wouldnt do it, id go with a 4-channel amp, bass blocks make a weird sound, like your speakers are making bass sounds, but with no movement. i wouldnt reccomend them, either a 4-channel amp, or some newer, more tolerant speakers would be much better.

MrBen
02-02-2004, 06:01 PM
Well I havent done anything about this yet.

Speakers are brand new Pioneer 3way 180watt speakers with the butyl rubber surround. I love them. Just want to protect them and use my sub for the bass.

I think I will just save up for a new HU. It really is not worth the 30 dollar temporary solution for the bass blockers.

KoNEY
02-02-2004, 06:57 PM
well, if your not running wicked amounts of bass from your HU, like have the bass setting all the way up, then you should be fine with those pioneers, they make great mids and highs along with HU's, and the tweeter and mid on each speaker will have bass blocks on them to block the bass.

POS carb
02-03-2004, 10:48 AM
go online and buy a 200-300mfd capacitor that takes 100 or more volts AC, not polar!
caps are cheap, that price is a rip.

POS carb
02-03-2004, 10:52 AM
like these but more MFD's, I don't know what frequency cutoff the 150 will give you but the more mfd, the lower the bass cutoff goes. $2.50 each for these
http://www.allelectronics.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=140900&item=NC-150&type=store
I wonder, if you just hook up 2 caps parallel to eachother does the mfd's add? like a pair of 150mfd caps will be the same as 1 of 300mfd?

accordlxi2.0
02-04-2004, 09:17 PM
what kinda head unit you have (wattege)
loet me tell you i have a pioneer 200mosfet and in the back i have some pactory 6x9's pioneer's and american pro and they handle well so those 180watt should handle alot better

MrBen
02-04-2004, 09:31 PM
Well i just took care of it today. I turned the gain up on the amp and turned the bass pretty much off at the HU. Sounds a lot better.

Bloodlust
02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Hey Ben, you dont even have to turn the bass on your headunit all the way down, all that matters is what the frequency is at on the crossovers on the 4 channel amp. You can even put the crossovers on the headunit for your front, rear, and non-fadding (sub) preouts to through or all.