PDA

View Full Version : dics vs drums

lightbulblxi
01-22-2004, 05:33 PM
i keep hearing people talk about doing a swap to discs in the back. i was wondering waht are advantages/disadvantages of discs/drums? if discs are better, is there any way to upgrade the rear drums to perform as well? and input would be appreciated.

k-roy
01-22-2004, 05:38 PM
FUCK REAR DRUMS!
You are not going to get them to perform any better.
Drums are shitty, drive a car with drums on all 4 wheels and you will know what I mean.
Drums lock up easy and do real crappy in the rain. Plus they fade a lot more.
Discs rule!

lightbulblxi
01-22-2004, 05:44 PM
does that have something to do with the drums are heavy, so it takes more response time, and the discs are lighter, so it takes less response time?

k-roy
01-22-2004, 05:52 PM
does that have something to do with the drums are heavy, so it takes more response time, and the discs are lighter, so it takes less response time?

It has nothing to do with weight, drums blow worse than Barbera Streisand.

Drums are cast iron and use rubber shoes.
Discs are steel and use carbon/metallic (whatever there are tons of types of pads).
Discs clamp and drums drag.

'A20A3'
01-22-2004, 05:56 PM
Kroy is right...again. :cool2:

However, the SE-i rear calipers are infamous for seizing, so be careful if you swap. In the long run it's worth the time and money though.

lightbulblxi
01-22-2004, 06:00 PM
is there any other way to swap, because se-i are rare around here.

'A20A3'
01-22-2004, 06:10 PM
You could possibly use Civic or Prelude...I'm not sure...

k-roy
01-22-2004, 07:23 PM
The calipers are off the shelf parts used on various models. But you still need other peices.
You can use www.hondaautomotiveparts.com and lookup a 3G and compare some part #s with other models.

Neuspeed87lx
01-22-2004, 07:50 PM
disc brakes are lighter.... and produce less heat.... acually i should say they dissapate heat better.... they are more responsive than drum brakes....i hate drum brakes.... disc are much better imo

PhydeauX
01-22-2004, 08:17 PM
I've converted every car I've ever owned to disks. I've always done it for the feel. They're also easier to work on. I just swaped a bad caliper off my jetta took under half an hour taking my time. Try doing a wheel cylender in that. You need the hub carriers from an 89 se-i because the caliper mounts are cast onto them, the rest of the parts are easy to come by. There was a thread a while ago where someone had claimed to have made gen 1 integra disks work. I believe the integra sandwiches the caliper mount between the hub and carrier so theoreticaly it could be possible provided the integra hubs have the same footprint as the accord. No one ever proved/disproved it.

andy

Busted_Blue
01-22-2004, 10:15 PM
how much would the rear disc conversion cost?