PDA

View Full Version : Brake light won't turn off.... help!!

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Well, ever since a few days ago, my brake light has been on, and it won't turn off. I know it is not because of the e-brake because the light get brighter when i pull the e-brake up.

Two days ago, me and my friend pulled the car in to the mechanics shop at school, and jacked up the rear end, we pulled off the back tires and noticed that e-brake is engaging and releasing properly, but the teacher pointed out that the right rear pads seem kinda low.

Then today, during the day, i smelled a slight burning smell, but wasnt sure what it was, and then later on tonite it happened again but it was much stronger. I think I possibly have a caliper which is seizing some of the time, but I am not 100% sure.

This really came at a bad time too, because my exhaust is supposed to go on tommorow, and my speakers are going in on saturday. :help:

A20A1
01-23-2004, 12:57 AM
I was about to suggest a bulb shorting out.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2004, 01:15 AM
Hmm, that could very well be, my car has little finicky *sp* problems like some of the dash lights only work sometimes, and will go on and off if I tap the dash.

Well, me and one of the guys from work are going to throw my car up on the jacks tommorow, pop off the wheels and try to figure out whats going on.

A20A1
01-23-2004, 01:24 AM
Oh brake light oh the dash?

check the fluid level.

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 04:58 AM
eeeeeediiiit!

It's the brake indicator on your dash, correct?

x3r0
01-23-2004, 06:27 AM
brake light doubles as the emergency break indicator and also low brake fluid indicator. I'ts actauly like this on most cars I've worked on, should have been the first thing someone told him :-)

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2004, 10:54 AM
I know that is the case, that is why one of the first things I did was check the brake fluid level, and the brakes felt fine. Only yesterday did I start smelling the burning and feeling some brake pull to the right.

x3r0
01-23-2004, 06:35 PM
I know that is the case, that is why one of the first things I did was check the brake fluid level, and the brakes felt fine. Only yesterday did I start smelling the burning and feeling some brake pull to the right.

Well if its pulling to your right, then I would take a look at your left front break. :-) something is obviously wrong with it if your pulling to the right.

catalin
01-23-2004, 08:01 PM
The e-brake will trigger the light through a switch mounted close to the e-brake lever in the center console. Have you recently taken anything apart around the center console???
Either way if you did or not, you should check the condition of the switch. Unplug it and see if the buld turns off. If it doesn't then the problem either lies in the dash (gauge package) or in the wiring in between.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-26-2004, 01:52 AM
The e-brake will trigger the light through a switch mounted close to the e-brake lever in the center console. Have you recently taken anything apart around the center console???
Either way if you did or not, you should check the condition of the switch. Unplug it and see if the buld turns off. If it doesn't then the problem either lies in the dash (gauge package) or in the wiring in between.

No, it is not on for the E-brake, the ebrake is releasing fine, and the light gets brighteer if I engage the ebrake.

I have determined that it is a siezed rear caliper, not sure which one, but I am going to figure that out on Wednesday, so no car till then. The worst part of this is, that the rear calipers are so damn expensive because they are so rare... My cost through work is still $90 a caliper... and my mom called honda and get this.. they wanted $400 for ONE caliper... HAHAHA!