PDA

View Full Version : leaded or unleaded fuel?

rdn
01-23-2004, 03:32 AM
Hi guys!

I keept wondering since i bought the car what kind of fuel to put in. The book sais 95 unleaded. However, the car doesn't have a cat., nor the fuel refueling pipe is small (to be used only with unleaded gas). Still, i refueled it all the time with 95 unleaded. The question is....would that do any damage to the engine?
However, where i leave all gas is unleaded, but there are some small bottles to use in engines that require leaded gas.

cheers!

SteveDX89
01-23-2004, 04:07 AM
Do not use leaded gas. You should be using unleaded 87 octane or higher. I don't think 95 is having any benefit to you. It's just sucking the green out of your wallet. Stick to 87-92 and you should be good. I usually use 87 or 89 in my car.

rdn
01-23-2004, 04:24 AM
Do not use leaded gas. You should be using unleaded 87 octane or higher. I don't think 95 is having any benefit to you. It's just sucking the green out of your wallet. Stick to 87-92 and you should be good. I usually use 87 or 89 in my car.

ok, thank's! i know that 95 is unnecessary high, but it's the lowest available arround here

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 04:40 AM
Dude, where do you live to where 95 octane Gasoline is your minimum rating? Are you in Europe somewhere?

x3r0
01-23-2004, 06:24 AM
Leaded Gas is illegal in the United States :-), the only ppl I know of that use leaded gas in their cars are in Africa and other poor countries. I dont even think honda makes a car that uses leaded gas :-) besides, it should be written next to your fuel cap.

87accordlxi
01-23-2004, 06:35 AM
When GM started importing Cadillacs to eastern europe, Russia, and China, it had the Northstar converted to accept leaded fuel. I imagine Honda could have done the same thing. Especially for China, where practically all the gas is leaded.

rdn, look at the inside of your fuel door, it should say what gas to use. My guess would be to stick with unleaded.

rdn
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
Dude, where do you live to where 95 octane Gasoline is your minimum rating? Are you in Europe somewhere?

well...sweden.....that sais it all :rolleyes:

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 11:38 AM
hey....95 minimum octane is awesome....what's your premium octane run?

rdn
01-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Leaded Gas is illegal in the United States :-), the only ppl I know of that use leaded gas in their cars are in Africa and other poor countries. I dont even think honda makes a car that uses leaded gas :-) besides, it should be written next to your fuel cap.

it's not only africa....there are at least a dousine of countries in europe (not even poor...) where you have an alternative

the only reason why unleaded is "good" and leaded is "evil" is the enviromental hypocrisy going on these days...

rdn
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
When GM started importing Cadillacs to eastern europe, Russia, and China, it had the Northstar converted to accept leaded fuel. I imagine Honda could have done the same thing. Especially for China, where practically all the gas is leaded.

rdn, look at the inside of your fuel door, it should say what gas to use. My guess would be to stick with unleaded.

that was my concern.....since the car was manufactured for 15 ys ago..

unfortunately, the inside of the fuel door is so rosty so you can not even distinguish the original color :)

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 11:43 AM
yeah...that's why china uses it. They don't give a damn about the environment. That's a large reason why they can undercut a lot of manufacturing companies pricewise.

rdn
01-23-2004, 11:46 AM
hey....95 minimum octane is awesome....what's your premium octane run?

well..originally the octanes were 95 unleaded, and 96, 98 leaded; now days, everything is unleaded while there are still a lot of cars on the roads manufactured for 15-20 years ago

Dibbs
01-23-2004, 11:51 AM
makes sense. That is the cheapest way to boost octane levels.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
01-23-2004, 05:32 PM
well..originally the octanes were 95 unleaded, and 96, 98 leaded; now days, everything is unleaded while there are still a lot of cars on the roads manufactured for 15-20 years ago

As far as I know, some European countries have a different octane rating system. Are you sure that the grades of fuel that you are listing correspond to the American standards? Since you said that 95 was the lowest available, it may be possible that you are on a different scale of octane rating. And if the car's manual dictates the use of unleaded gasoline, use unleaded. :D

k-roy
01-23-2004, 05:45 PM
In my American model it says on the insturment cluster "use only unleaded gas".
You could also look on the underside of the hood on the sticker.
If you can not find out for sure you should just stick with unleaded.

x3r0
01-23-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, I'm not much of an evironmentalist at all, but lead is poisen, and to a very big extent. Lead used to be used as a form of birth control a long time ago, Painters back in the day used lead paint, and presented insanity from poisening, Workers that assist in producing the lead fuel have serious health problems :-) The United States stopped its production party because so many ppl were dieing in the refineries :-O...

Anyways I guess I went to far, but yeah i did a paper on it b4, so I'm just blabbing :-)

Dibbs
01-26-2004, 05:11 AM
The octane rating of gasoline tells you how much the fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites. Gasoline is made by a process called "fractional distillation" whereas crude oil is separated by different boiling points into fractional hydrocarbons of differnt length. Methane (CH4) has one carbon atom, Butane has 4 carbon atoms, Heptane has 7 and Octane has 8, and so on. After fractional distillation the yield of raw gasoline or "straight run" gas is about 250ml per liter. This yeild can be doubled by the processes of Cat-Cracking and Isomerization. Octane is a hydrocarbon that burns very smoothly and won't knock very easily. Heptane is just the opposite. Since octane has the best burning properties, it is given a rating of 100. Heptane has the least so it is given a rating of 0. Usually blends of these 2 hydrocarbons along w/ various other additives are used to create a given octane rating. Basically, 87 octane gasoline is gasoline that contains 87-percent octane and 13-percent heptane.

You may have seen this formula written under the octane rating on a gas pump (R+M)/2. One value is the Research Octane Number (RON), which is a long, involved process determined by a test engine running at a speed of 600 rpm. The other is the Motor Octane Number (MON). This is determined with a test engine running at 900 rpm. An average of the two ratings are calculated and viola, your Octane rating.

I don't see how the numbers in other countries could be calculated any differently but hell, ya never know. I have been wrong before.