PDA

View Full Version : handling plans

lightbulblxi
01-23-2004, 10:48 AM
right now i am gonna concentrate on how my car handles and brakes. this is what i have thought of so far that i will need:

lower car(done)
stiffer springs(done)
4 wheel disc brakes
bigger disc brakes
carbon/metallic brake pads
new shocks
supportive seats
harnesses
strut/sway bars(rear upper on the way thanks to mantis88lx)
bigger/wider wheels for brakes
stickier tires

what else will i need? if u have any recomendations for companies that make quality stuff please let me kno. any in put would be appreciated! :bow:

smufguy
01-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Sounds like you are setting ur car up for Autocrossing. You might also wanna get lower tie bar to tie up ur lowe control arms in the rear.

Have u thought about putting up skid plates underneath? You might wanna do that if u dont wanna ding ur undercarriage.

You might wanna start up with the idea of weight reduction if possible.

one degree of negative camber in the front should help you a lot in the exit from a corner.

Also smaller steering wheel should help you contorl bumps and turns precisly.

I dont know how this goes but this last one is the body torsional limitier or whatever u call it as. Its this piece of pipe that runs on the bottom of the rear seats from side to side of the car. This prevents torsional twist of the car under high cornering.

May i ask you how much u lowered?

lightbulblxi
01-23-2004, 11:32 AM
right now im prolly a little low like 3.5" or 4", but i got coilovers, 2 things i forgot are camber kit and bushings. ive heard bushings help for handling, but what are thery and where are they?

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2004, 11:54 AM
right now i am gonna concentrate on how my car handles and brakes. this is what i have thought of so far that i will need:

lower car(done)
stiffer springs(done)
4 wheel disc brakes
bigger disc brakes
carbon/metallic brake pads
new shocks
supportive seats
harnesses
strut/sway bars(rear upper on the way thanks to mantis88lx)
bigger/wider wheels for brakes
stickier tires

what else will i need? if u have any recomendations for companies that make quality stuff please let me kno. any in put would be appreciated! :bow:

List the parts that you say you have done

Plan on no more than a 2" drop for any plans to be truely worthwhile.

smufguy
01-23-2004, 12:00 PM
damn........ jim u beat my post. HOw come when u guys post it says i am not allowed to post? It says no new post is accepted and automatically logs me out??? thats real strange. crap!!!!

Urathane bushings make ur car ride stiffer whith high damping.

Jims 86LXI HB
01-23-2004, 12:03 PM
damn........ jim u beat my post. HOw come when u guys post it says i am not allowed to post? It says no new post is accepted and automatically logs me out??? thats real strange. crap!!!!

Urathane bushings make ur car ride stiffer whith high damping.

I didn't do anything other than reply to the post.

What urathane bushing?

smufguy
01-23-2004, 12:11 PM
I didn't do anything other than reply to the post.

What urathane bushing?

The guy who was wanting to make urathane bushings for 3g long time back, i think his thread was still up in the Suspension section. he wanted us to send him the stock ones so he can make those for us?

I wish energy suspensions would make us some polyurathane bushings.

http://www.energysuspension.com/hon1.html they have the 4g, not the 3g :(

home page >>> http://www.energysuspension.com/index.html

Justin86
01-23-2004, 12:24 PM
yea better bushing would help some with everything else you have listed.

Busted_Blue
01-23-2004, 05:54 PM
steel brake lines might be a good idea also =)

autox7
01-23-2004, 07:15 PM
Polyurethane bushings replace the soft factory rubber bushings that ride as a buffer between the suspension pieces. The factory uses rubber for a couple of reasons, one because it is inexpensive, two is that it lasts for a long time. And lastly because it is a fairly decent compromise when it comes to handling.

Polyurethane is VERY dense and hard, replacing your rubber bushings with poly bushings will remove almost 90+% of the slop that is built into the car's suspension. You will feel very little difference with the new bushings than with the rubber bushings. However, if you do not grease them, especially on your sway bars, they will squeak.

Quality tires, and shocks are going to make the biggest difference in the handling set up of your car the way it sits now. Jim hit the nail on the head, 2 inches is almost perfect. At that height you will not have lost much suspension travel, but will have lowered the center of gravity on the car enough to make a big difference.

Hawk brakes pads are a FerroCarbon mix, which is essentially an iron carbon hybrid that works very well. I had a set of Hawk HP+ on both my RX-7 and my 944 and loved them both. Never once had a problem with brake fad, even at Buttonwillow Raceway Park. When we get ready to do the brakes on my project 86, Hawk brakes will be on it.

I would not spend your money on seats, harnesses maybe, but not seats. Unless you want them purely for the looks, seats can probably wait. A good set of Schroth Rallye 4 harnesses will hold you firmly in the stock seats.

Do not underestimate the value of a good set of sway bars. While I think that the Suspension Techniques bars are overpriced, they seem to be the only ones readily accessible, so get a set of those. And ensure that you grease the bushings when you install them.

Sorry this turned out longer than I had planned.

k-roy
01-23-2004, 07:31 PM
A guy from Prothane posted on this board a while back saying anyone who sent in suspension pieces would get a free set and then they would offer them for our cars.

http://www.geocities.com/prothanemotioncontrol/accord