PDA

View Full Version : Alarm Install Questions

N-Man
01-23-2004, 01:30 PM
I just purchased an alarm and i plan on installing it myself. i did my old alarm, but it came out crappy, so i have a few questions that i want to ask...

1) Where is the best place to mount the sensor, control unit, and the siren?
2)What tools will i need to drill through my firewall?
3)Even thought i have a starndard, is it possobe to have automatic start?

Any help will be appreciated :)

nswst8
01-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Well, 1st you want to mount the sensor in a central location that is easliy accessable and in which all the wires will tie in without splicing in extra wire.
2nd as long a the bites you use are rated for metal.
3rd no you won't be able to use the auto start with a manual tranny.
If you do a search there are a great number of threads that kist the wires to splice into.
Hope this helps. LOL
NSWST8 :cheers:

catalin
01-23-2004, 05:55 PM
I just purchased an alarm and i plan on installing it myself. i did my old alarm, but it came out crappy, so i have a few questions that i want to ask...

1) Where is the best place to mount the sensor, control unit, and the siren?
2)What tools will i need to drill through my firewall?
3)Even thought i have a starndard, is it possobe to have automatic start?

Any help will be appreciated :)

1) Behind the glove box is a good spot for the control unit. Siren in the fender behind the battery, or under the battery. Shock sensor you can mount to anything in the car... be it plastic or wires. Just make sure it's tight.

2) You won't, since there will be a couple of grommets you can go through on the passenger side of the firewall.

3) Yes you can. Some systems allow you to safely start the vehicle. The only one I can think of right now is a Compustar... www.compustar.org

RobT5580
01-23-2004, 08:19 PM
Most places mount the shock sensor on the steering column. I preffer motion sensors cause i cant stand false alarms and most shock sensors go nuts with peoples systems and exhausts.

nswst8
01-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Yeah, its possible but he's going to have to bypass the clutch switch. Right
if I'm not mistaken.
Anything is possible, you are only limited by your imagination. But from the impression I got he's a "novice" at the alarm installation. Wouldn't he be better off starting with a basic system with expandable add on. Autopage has a reputation for this.
Just my two cents.

TJ89Accord
01-23-2004, 10:13 PM
You can get a remote starter for a manual, but the problem that you will run into is that you have a carb. So it might not always work. I know that on my car I had to push the gas to get it to start.

catalin
01-24-2004, 01:24 AM
Yeah, its possible but he's going to have to bypass the clutch switch. Right
if I'm not mistaken.
Anything is possible, you are only limited by your imagination. But from the impression I got he's a "novice" at the alarm installation. Wouldn't he be better off starting with a basic system with expandable add on. Autopage has a reputation for this.
Just my two cents.

Yeah the clutch circuit will have to be triggered whenever remote starting, which isn't too difficult.
Tree seems like a novice but I don't want to judge someone like that. N-man if you feel comfortable doing it and you want to take the chance of screwing something up, then I say go for it.. ... how's that? :)

SteveDX89
01-24-2004, 07:20 AM
You can get a remote starter for a manual, but the problem that you will run into is that you have a carb. So it might not always work. I know that on my car I had to push the gas to get it to start.

Very true. If it's really cold, it probably won't start unless you give the button hell. Even then it's iffy.

Nate2310
01-25-2004, 10:57 AM
I put the control behind the glove box and i mounted the siren on the firewall like on the part closer to ur ignition coil

TJ89Accord
01-27-2004, 10:57 AM
Very true. If it's really cold, it probably won't start unless you give the button hell. Even then it's iffy.

One thing I heard of was hooking up a silonoid to pump the gas once before it starts. Looks like too much work though, and probably not too safe.