PDA

View Full Version : Crap

'A20A3'
01-23-2004, 01:42 PM
Here's the problem: RUST.

Underneath my car, like where you would put jackstands, or the spare tire jack, there patches of rust coming through the original layer of black "whatever it is". It could be alot more rust, but any rust is bad. So I'm thinking, is the frame rusting out? Is this fixable? I really want to keep my 3G but with all these exterior problems it looks like I might not be able to. This car has alot of sentimental value to me because I grew up with this car. money is not a problem. If it absolutely comes down to it I'll just buy another 3G that's rust free when I move to California, and swap my low mileage A20 into it after a tear-down and performance rebuild. But I don't want it to come to that, I'd rather keep mine and build it. What do you guys think?

Thanks.

Hash_man_Se_i
01-23-2004, 01:44 PM
Rust sucks, I have the same problem, but will soon have most of the rust cut out and replaced with new metal.

PsychoPaul
01-25-2004, 09:20 AM
i have a similar problem. i would also like to know if it's expensive to fix.
My right rear wheel hub is rusting out like crazy. if i fold the back seat down i can see through to the outside. Is it worth it to fix or not?

Rendon LX-i
01-25-2004, 12:14 PM
yeah i hate rust. i dont know what to tell u on that one. see if u can get it fixed. i have rust on my tail light edges and front fender and thats it. going to get that fixed in the spring

MrBen
01-25-2004, 01:23 PM
It's a pain in the ass to get rid of. One spot I thought I got good enough (hell I ground almost all the way through the metal, sprayed rust killer on it, followed the correct primer and paint and clear coat process, and it is still bubbling. PISSING ME OFF. I will have to cut it out and weld in metal in the Spring.

PsychoPaul
01-26-2004, 12:23 PM
:jaw:

Arghhhhhh..... was having an alright day. went to the garage to have something checked out (steering wheel was shaky, anyway...). The damn frame is rusting away. FUCK! is all i can say!!!!!!!!!!!! you can see right into it. now it's gonna cost me big $$ i'm sure. well i'm gonna have it checked out tommorow if i can. Damn i hate that. I pray it's not going to be expensive!...

Do any of you think it's worth it for me to fix it? the car does not have any sentimental value. but i just bought it a month ago and i would like to keep the car for as long as i can (more than a year, if not longer, like many many years)

Bloodlust
01-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Rust sucks, and is it just me or are there alot of threads relating to rust right now, including my own? I have come down to 2 conclusions of to deal with rust:

1.) The fiberglass trick. most likely its going to bubble out within the next year. But its less expensive than the next option.
2.) Cut the metal out. Pretty expensive, and shop around for the best price. Make sure its someone reliable thats doing the work.

I guess the only thing to think about is how long are you going to have the car for and how much is it really bothering you?