PDA

View Full Version : Power Steering related to Transmisson????

skull1441
01-23-2004, 06:22 PM
a while ago, my power steering had the smoothest steering in the world!! ...... after i had my transmission swapped, my power steering went reeeeeaally baaaad , almost feels like no power steering at all but there IS SOME ..... the fluid level is fine ......... any ideas of why the heck it did that ??? its driving me nuts :banghead:

dysiu
01-23-2004, 07:01 PM
I can't give you details but yes, power steering system is related to the transmission. The idea is to reduce the amount of power assistance with the increased speed of the car. There is a little thingy sticking from the transmission with some PS lines connected to it. They probably messed up sth with that.

shepherd79
01-23-2004, 07:24 PM
the thing you are talking about is speed sensor. if they never changed the speed sensor i would say you got bad sensor.

skull1441
01-23-2004, 09:31 PM
well my speed reads fine .... i checked the linkage of the hoses , their fine...... how would i know if the PS pump is failing? does it make a sound or something?

Blkblurr
01-24-2004, 04:30 AM
That little "thingy" is called a VAPS valve. Means variable assist ps steering. They are normally controlled electrically but I have not looked at the service manual or schematic to see how this one works. I suspect it has a broken wire.

TINBOAT
01-24-2004, 04:53 AM
There are a couple of small hoses that hook into the speed sensor, and continue on to the steering rack...have a look to see if they are hooked up properly, they may have been re-attached backwards, should be an easy fix..hope this helps. (they can be a bitch to get at, and easy to overlook, or connect wrong).

skull1441
01-24-2004, 06:26 AM
electronicly eh...... ill check for a loose wire somewhere ......

Xulfiqar
01-26-2004, 12:35 AM
The speed sensor valves maybe jammed or clogged internally - I had that when I dropped my tranny for the clutch replacement - Firstly check that the lines are installed properly - still doesnt work - get a long rod and lightly tap the connections of the speed sensor with it - worked for me - replace the oil 50 miles after the tapping.

And the speed sensor is a complete mechanical part on the 3G - no wires

skull1441
01-28-2004, 06:25 PM
it finally worked again... im so glad... it happened when i was driving it hard with a lot of turning so the air went out of the system.

Blkblurr
01-28-2004, 06:44 PM
That makes sense.