PDA

View Full Version : RPM s....what's the LIMIT?

soljaboy2000
01-23-2004, 07:59 PM
Alright my Hoop Ride always goes into 2nd uphills at around 4000-4500 RPM. Well I m not really worried but I was wondering what is the RPM limit for each gear in my automatic...i.e 2nd, D3, and D4? Oh and I have 118,000 miles and got a new head gasket 10,000 miles ago if that helps

SteveDX89
01-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Any gear will go to redline or until it shifts.

Cyric_accord
01-24-2004, 12:09 AM
I've managed to hold my automatic into the 6,500 rpm range in low-2, but the tranny was none too pleased with me... or atleast sounded like it.

AccordEpicenter
01-24-2004, 11:18 AM
if you have a carbed accord dont rev well into 7k too much and for fi the stock rev limiter should save you... in an auto the only way to do either is to put it in neutral

adams86lxi
01-24-2004, 11:21 AM
my 86 lx-i dosent seem to have a rev limiter and its FI i accidently figured this out on a missshift and shot it up past 7000 rpms! :cool:

Rendon LX-i
01-24-2004, 11:46 AM
yeah same on my 86 Lx-i. u know on the new cars u can here the rev limiter. that off and on sound. shit mine just vroom 7 grand no rev limited. that crazy.prolly dont have one

A20A1
01-24-2004, 07:36 PM
Just stay below redline and you'll be fine... I like to drive around in D3... but if I want to hold a gear past redline, dump it into 2.

Other then that you'll have a fuel cut that comes on when you rev too high... I bypassed the control so I don't have to worry about it.

wprocomp
01-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Other then that you'll have a fuel cut that comes on when you rev too high... I bypassed the valve so I don't have to worry about it.

what did it take to get that done?

Rendon LX-i
01-24-2004, 08:16 PM
fuel cut off? my shit dont do that. just goes to 7 grand and higher if i miss shift. no fuel cut off.

A20A1
01-25-2004, 10:31 AM
Well you don't have a carbed car do you... EFI's don't have the fuel cut.

Rendon LX-i
01-25-2004, 11:42 AM
oh i didnt know that. my bad

Justin86
01-25-2004, 12:01 PM
yea the auto will shift before redline or at least it should. I have never got any auto to actually hit the redline just close. If you were to manually shift it you could but that will destroy your tranny.

300700'88lx-i
01-25-2004, 12:09 PM
Well you don't have a carbed car do you... EFI's don't have the fuel cut.
I know that my car has a rev limiter which won't let it rev past 6,500 rpm. It seems from what I've been reading that a lot of the people with 86-87 FI models don't have a rev limiter while 88-89 do. Could this be another difference between the two? Could it have to do with the different ECUs in the two models? I'm not exactly sure what the difference is, I'm just throwing out some ideas.

Silver86LX
01-25-2004, 02:37 PM
I've got really close, but it switches gears just before or at the redline.

Ravenix
01-25-2004, 05:48 PM
i got my auto to go up around 6800 back when i had my a20 that was the same day i threw a rod :(

300700'88lx-i
01-25-2004, 06:06 PM
I can rev it past redline all day long cause I have a 5-spd (I'm sure the engine wouldn't last that long :cool2: ) what I was talking about was the fact that the engine won't rev past 6,500 rpm because of the rev limiter. the computer either cuts the fuel or the spark to the engine (I'm not sure if the rev limiter in the a20a3 is fuel or spark based) keeping the engine from gaining any more rpm. It seems like the 86-87 lx-i doesn't have a rev limiter though.

Justin86
01-25-2004, 07:20 PM
I can rev it past redline all day long cause I have a 5-spd (I'm sure the engine wouldn't last that long :cool2: ) what I was talking about was the fact that the engine won't rev past 6,500 rpm because of the rev limiter. the computer either cuts the fuel or the spark to the engine (I'm not sure if the rev limiter in the a20a3 is fuel or spark based) keeping the engine from gaining any more rpm. It seems like the 86-87 lx-i doesn't have a rev limiter though.
I didn't know that the 88-89 had a limiter. On the carb models it is just a sensor on the back of the fuse pannel under the dash. You pretty much just pull that and there you go. I never rev above 6,000 but I once hit 7,000 doing a burn out abd the valve lash didn't sound to good. There is no power up there unless you have a cam and built valve train.

AccordEpicenter
01-25-2004, 10:23 PM
ive sat with my 88 lxi bouncing off of limiter to scare some kids and the thing didnt blow, it just wanted more. Ive taken 87 LX engines to 7850 rpm and had little trouble. No power at that rpm and youre asking for trouble much into 7k

evans 86prelude
01-27-2004, 01:51 PM
when i first got my prelude (86 si) it would hit way over 8000rpms and then i worked on tuning the motor up during winter and in the spring i tryed it out a found out that i had a rev limiter at 6800, but i don't recommend rev over that if u have no rev limiter because a little later i spun one rod bearing and other just started too. I think my computer messed up on that one, making it rev so high. My 89 accord Ex-i a20a3 (auto) loves to shift right at limiter when u drive it hard but i think the tranny is messed up has 300,000kms on it.

LudeSi
01-27-2004, 02:22 PM
fuel cut off? my shit dont do that. just goes to 7 grand and higher if i miss shift. no fuel cut off.

My lude doesnt do that shit either. One day while driving to school, i downshifted to 3rd on the freeway to pass some slow poke. Hit third, shifted 4th, MISSED!!! :jaw: so i took my foot of the gas really quick, but the damn gas pedal got stuck under the floor matt and the bastard wrapped the tach all the way around and then some. Valves were floating like crazy. After about 15- 20 seconds of that before i figured out what the hell was going on, i dislodged my gas pedal and pulled to the side of the road cussing and punching shit. THen i sat there and listened. No ticking, no knocking. Gave it a rev. Nothing funny sounding. So i said fuck it. Drove it to school(hour drive), came home, changed the oil (wreaked of gas!) and went to the track. Did i mention that motor had 205k miles on it? Ran like a champ.

lightbulblxi
01-27-2004, 03:50 PM
yea, my 88 has a revlimiter too.

HondaBoy
01-27-2004, 03:59 PM
my '87 carbed automatic doesnt seem to have a rev limiter. sometimes when i really push it, it will go past the red line in drive. its done that a few times and freaked my friend out that was riding with me. if its in park or neutral it will rev way past red line, but i havent done that too much.

86hondadx
09-04-2006, 10:10 PM
how do you do the fuel cut thing?

Just stay below redline and you'll be fine... I like to drive around in D3... but if I want to hold a gear past redline, dump it into 2.
Other then that you'll have a fuel cut that comes on when you rev too high... I bypassed the contol so I don't have to worry about it.

2ndGenGuy
09-04-2006, 10:15 PM
Ha my car has no rev limiter. Wound it up to 7,000 at an autocross. Not on purpose mind you. But it was in 1st gear. That gear is not happy with me any longer. It's now making funny sounds. Don't take your car past redline. It doesn't have any more power, as the curve usually drops off around redline in most cars, so it will only slow you down.

A20A1
09-04-2006, 10:36 PM
Autos are funny, you have to play with them a bit to keep the car from going upshifting or locking up to cruise.

Sometimes I will pump the throttle and it will accelerate better then just slaming the throttle and holding it down.

I think the max though would be around 8,000 but on a stock motor you're wasting your time.

A18A
09-05-2006, 03:03 AM
my carbed a18 :-/
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/8c3aee5a.jpg

MessyHonda
09-05-2006, 07:22 AM
my carbed a18 :-/
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/8c3aee5a.jpg

so thats how you blew up a headgasket?...lol

A18A
09-05-2006, 07:28 AM
lol actually, that engine was all good :) i bought my other car with the blown head gasket, and replaced it all, and still not as good as that 1 was :(

2oodoor
09-09-2006, 03:49 AM
Autos are funny, you have to play with them a bit to keep the car from going upshifting or locking up to cruise.

Sometimes I will pump the throttle and it will accelerate better then just slaming the throttle and holding it down.

I think the max though would be around 8,000 but on a stock motor you're wasting your time.
DEFINATLY have your throttle valve transmission cable adjusted ,it can really make things so much more pleasant shift wise. This is a very important adjustment and may not always be exactly at spec for best action. you have to kind of learn the car driving it daily to feel it so it dont downshift too soon. As far as what RPM, watch the tack and speedometer when both are not moving so great , guesss what , about a few second before that you got all your gonna get...I would never tack my 3g to 8grand,unless perhaps I was like road raged for some reason.....
Fuel cut out, WTF is that A1? WHERE IS IT LOCATED, if its in the black box, then never mind, mine is a flower planter now,.

sinisterfuzzy
09-09-2006, 06:04 AM
Ha my car has no rev limiter. Wound it up to 7,000 at an autocross. Not on purpose mind you. But it was in 1st gear. That gear is not happy with me any longer. It's now making funny sounds. Don't take your car past redline. It doesn't have any more power, as the curve usually drops off around redline in most cars, so it will only slow you down.

also happened to me when i was try to get the hell away from the dudes who threw a molotov at me freaked out and went to 8000 in first, didn't really know until i looked at my gauge...

coope
09-09-2006, 08:59 AM

A20A1
09-09-2006, 10:51 AM
DEFINATLY have your throttle valve transmission cable adjusted ,it can really make things so much more pleasant shift wise. This is a very important adjustment and may not always be exactly at spec for best action. you have to kind of learn the car driving it daily to feel it so it dont downshift too soon. As far as what RPM, watch the tack and speedometer when both are not moving so great , guesss what , about a few second before that you got all your gonna get...I would never tack my 3g to 8grand,unless perhaps I was like road raged for some reason.....
Fuel cut out, WTF is that A1? WHERE IS IT LOCATED, if its in the black box, then never mind, mine is a flower planter now,.

I know about the cable adjustment, I made the how to on it :)

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885

problem is my corolla isn't responding to the adjustments... so I think it's the control box that is bolted to the trans.

2oodoor
09-09-2006, 03:13 PM
I know about the cable adjustment, I made the how to on it :)
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885
problem is my corolla isn't responding to the adjustments... so I think it's the control box that is bolted to the trans.
Known fact that a lot of folks are clueless how the TV cable controls anything on A transmission but kickdown.....A lot of cars this adjustment can make or break the tranny peeps....
Oh no disrespect to you A20A1 , none at all, just trying to figure what your meaning by carb fuel cut off, I will just assume its the solenoid on the rear of Kelkin carb, but I always thought those were idle fuel cutoff solenoids on normal carb.. :huh:
late shift on corolla, if it is niney something there may be control shift solenoid 5 gee honda, and I know your sharp enought to have checked the TPS and TB condition, If there wrong , reckon that puts the Tv cable off a hair two, anyway ,PM for toyota flow charts

A20A1
09-10-2006, 02:12 AM
Nope, when it comes to EFI I'm as dull as a coconut :)

2oodoor
09-10-2006, 12:38 PM
Nope, when it comes to EFI I'm as dull as a coconut :)
will try to get you something to go by when Im back at work tommorrow , will need year make model engine type, and trans type if more than one auto was available. There was a decent toyota forum a while back but it kinda looked like honda tech last time I saw it. I got rid of mine.

As to the question asked here, sure you can rev out an automatic to redline or close, but when driving normally you should not have to conciously let off the gas for the trans to shift when you know it is revving more than it should at the particular speed your going.

ilikevtecs
09-10-2006, 01:03 PM
if you have a carbed accord dont rev well into 7k too much
Does the carbed motors have a rev limiter i didn't think they did, but one time I droped it in first in the rain on a wet wooden bridge so it shot up pretty quick I didn't look at the tach right away so when I did it was staying at seven. Is that the revv limiter or just ran out power to go any further in a gear?

A18A
09-10-2006, 01:30 PM
Does the carbed motors have a rev limiter i didn't think they did, but one time I droped it in first in the rain on a wet wooden bridge so it shot up pretty quick I didn't look at the tach right away so when I did it was staying at seven. Is that the revv limiter or just ran out power to go any further in a gear?
just ran outta power, carbed 3geez dont have rev limiters as you can see in my pic up there

lostforawhile
09-10-2006, 01:47 PM
I wonder if the fuel safety relay on the carb car has a built in rev limiter? I know it senses rpm,thats how it works, At high rpms the fuel pressure drops in proportion to the rpm. it could be controling the pump. I need to hook a volt meter to the pump power and watch the voltage in roportion to rpm.

A20A1
09-10-2006, 01:57 PM
I've reached the cut out a few times in the past and it drains my float bowl... then I restart the car and turn the key on and off the refill the bowl before it'll start again.