PDA

View Full Version : CamShaft Cover + Spark Plug Wires

x3r0
01-23-2004, 11:45 PM
I am getting a new carb, Weber 32/36, comes with a chrome air box, so I figured I should dress up the engine to accomdate the new carb.

Bright Green Spark Plug Wires and a Bright Green Cam Shaft Cover. Well, they do not sell green spark plug wires, only like yellow, red, blue, gray, black... So I am having to paint my own wires.. So far the engine enamel paint is flexible enough for the wires, seems to stick to rubber nicely...

Anyone have any stories on how they accomplished these simple tasks :-).
I havn't gotten to my camshaft cover yet, for me its probably just going to be simple engine enamel spray paint, what else are u guys doing?

BITESIZE
01-24-2004, 11:23 AM
You're going to paint your wires....WTF?

x3r0
01-24-2004, 05:28 PM
Yeah, no one sells green spark plug wires, their already painted :-)

87hatchback
01-24-2004, 08:35 PM
try looking up taylorvertex .com they make all kinds of colors for your wires. you just might have to buy a universal kit and put them together yourself but please dont waste your time on painting the wires. you wont be happy in the end. just my $.02 cents.

x3r0
01-24-2004, 10:53 PM
try looking up taylorvertex .com they make all kinds of colors for your wires. you just might have to buy a universal kit and put them together yourself but please dont waste your time on painting the wires. you wont be happy in the end. just my $.02 cents.

Okay, I painted them the other night, used plenty of paint, clear coated them, and hoped for the paint to work, but...
The paint comes off like latex paint, I dont understand it really, its ceramic paint, can take high heat, but it does the same thing on metal, peels off like latex, cheap? Its engine enamel, so I'm wondering maybe it was just cold and they didn't dry properly? I test on metal too, same results.

Thanks for the link, if I cant get a green theme on my engine I may have to go yellow. How did you guys paint your Camshaft / Valve covers? Spray Engine Enamel? or something else?

k-roy
01-24-2004, 11:53 PM
The best way to paint a valve cover is the use a metal brush attachment with a dremel or a drill.
You can not get it too clean, any oil or old paint will make it look like crap. Be sure to use lots of degreaser and then Hot water. I can not stress enough how important having the metal completely bare is, even the oils on you hands could mess it up. Use 2,000 degre engine paint with PRIMER first. The primer sticks to the metal a lot better than paint. Then the paint will stick to the primer and come out looking great. Remember do light layers and follow the instructions on the can.

x3r0
01-25-2004, 12:00 AM
I'm sorry, but what is the metal brush attachment for the dremmel suppose to do? clean?

btw I keep my valve cover clean since I bought the car, its actualy a very shiny gold right now :-), but yes I know to clean it, not really familiar with taking the valve cover off. Is it just nuts on the top and then the timing belt top cover and a couple of gasgets?

k-roy
01-25-2004, 12:10 AM
Yea you got it, its simple as shit to remove.
The metal brush strips the paint right off down to bare metal.
This is kinda ironic, I just picked up one of these tonite.
http://dremel.com/html/images/products/bits/large/428.gif
Im gonna polish my valve cover tomorrow.

x3r0
01-25-2004, 12:21 AM
There is no paint on my valve cover as far as I know.. its just metal, may have use to been chrome, but I guess oil has made it gold.. but I wash it because I knew I was going to do somethign with it one day :-) I can't find the right kind of paint you said at walmart, know anywhere I can get it online? been searching, if anyone knows off the top of their head that would save me some time. I may go blue because NGK wireseets are easy to find and they are a turquois almost.. man i wish green.