PDA

View Full Version : looking to replace 12w6

mykwikcoupe
01-24-2004, 12:36 AM
So Im gonna be swapping out systems again. I do this about every few years as something else I like comes into the market.

The car has a pioneer headunit going back to a 1 farad cap then off to a soundstream continuum amp. Ill post the link for this amp. I currently run JL audio in all 4 corners and a single 12w6 in a 1.75 in3 sealed box tuned.

I am debating getting a single 8w7 or 10w7. The continuum with power the 8 nicely but would be kinda lacking with the 10w7. The spl's way different than the 12w6 so im not sure what to expect. The car will soon be transporting a stroller and other baby type stuff and its not for show just a daily driver with a good bassline. Im sure that you've noticed these old accords are a rattle trap so Its not a bass machine or anything like that.

I want something to handle moddest lows and keep up with the xr 650 I have in all 4 corners. Just a nicley tuned system.

When my buddy owed his shop I heard the 13.5 with max power and 10w7 with 500/1 but Ive never heard a 8w7.

I am very impressed with the new series. Any thoughts. Oh and how do you keep the rear deck from rattlying and looking stock. Ive tried everything

Forgot the post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3073155602&category=4950&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

RobT5580
01-24-2004, 08:11 AM
I almost got the 12W7's but i thought it would be over kill and i was going to have to step up my amps a bit to handle them. I have not heard them in a car yet but i would think it will do the job but i would go with the 10W7 but the require a deep mounting dept. I kinda wish i did get at least one cause i could have got them for cost but at the time i wouldnt have been able to buy my amp at the same time. Maybe i will some day cause im already thinking of dropping to one 12 for space reasons. I originally had the 12W0's and i thought those were nice and loved them for the 4 years i had them until they got stolen. I wanted the W6's but my guy couldnt get them so i got the Infinity Perfect's but dont like them as much as my JL's but the way i built my amp rack i cant adjust them without some work so i never touched the settings.

But for what you need i think the 10W7 is the way to go to get the sound you want.

pmip
01-24-2004, 12:09 PM
Good choice on the w7s, they are the sub that most other subs are measured by. If you're looking for spl, the 10w7 won't be much louder then the 12w6 you have now, while it will take two 8w7s to be comparable. This assumes you are sending each sub max rated power, and they all are in sealed boxes. If you were to put the 10w7 in a vented box tuned low (for sound quality), it would be a lot louder then your current 12w6 in a sealed box, and your lowend wouldn't drop off as much. Same with the 8w7, if you were to put it in a vented box tuned low, it will be almost comparable with you 12w6 right now (strictly speaking spl), the sound quality will be MUCH better, it won't take up as much room in the trunk, and everyone will be surprised at how much bass is coming out of an 8" driver. That would be what I would recomend, an 8w7 in a vented box tuned 28-30 hz. You will get incredible sq, spl almost comparable with your 12w6, and still have plenty of room in your trunk. The only thing to consider is that both the 8w7 and the 10w7 are single 3ohm, which means you won't be getting full power from the Continuum amp you have now.

mykwikcoupe
01-25-2004, 06:52 PM
yeah i am kinda iffy still. I think just the one 8w7 with about 250 rms in a vented box should be good. I got to check out a sub called image dynamics. They are supposed to be killer from what Ie been told but Ill always compare everything to the JL line of stuff.

RobT5580
01-25-2004, 07:01 PM
Yeah its good stuff IMO i was please my low end JL's i cant imagine how the W6's are compared to my old W0's. I may change my setup a bit if im not happy when i properly size the box. I did have only one of my Infinity's in before and i thought it was decent but that was at a point where i didnt have a system for a bit. But it is in to big of a box so i will see how it goes then if i dont like it i may do one 12W7 but i think i will be happy. Plus i only need the Sony EQ and my system is complete and that is as far is its going.

MrBen
01-25-2004, 07:29 PM
The W6 is great. I love it.

89AcCOrDmike
01-25-2004, 07:54 PM
hey i don't know if your bent on gettin jl but if your not you should look into the alpine's new line the type x....i've heard nothing but good things about them...

MrBen
01-25-2004, 08:06 PM
Search the internet, you will find nothing but good about JL subwoofers.

mykwikcoupe
01-25-2004, 08:07 PM
I used to have there XR series and the type s and was VERY disappointed in them. The are very power hungry and didnt produce deep lows at all. It was good for jazzbut thats about it. Ill check out there type x but i wouldnt expect much. Alpine is a major letdown in my case. Ive never had an alpine deck that didnt nuke itself at some point. But then I love all my soundstream amps and most people have problems with there power supply.

MrBen
01-25-2004, 08:19 PM
I would suggest talking to shepherd79 about anything Alpine related as he has fallen in love with their audio products. Just a suggestion.

Me personally, I am hooked on JL and Pioneer. I love the Pioneer 3ways I have and the w6 I have. I am shopping around for a Pioneer head unit as the deck I have now does not have a subwoofer equalizer and thus, the bass becomes distorted in the interior speakers. I have a 10 inch w6 and am very happy with it, and would suggest it. I guess you will hear it soon enough since you're helping me with my car. Right now it's nothing great but I listened to it with my friends system and it was awesome. I am tight on the money department, so now I will probably just get the bass blockers for the interior speakers.

As for the rear deck, I opened up the trunk and stuffed newspaper in the holes underneath the rear deck. This along with the tightening of the rear speaker covers worked great. There are times I still hear a tiny bit of vibration but I haven't quite figured out from where. I know some people have issues with the trunk lid cross tension bar things (the bracket that holds them to the underside of the rear deck) causing vibration.

mykwikcoupe
01-25-2004, 08:43 PM
I fixed the trunk rattles and the rattle is comming from the rear deck. Ill check and see if the speaker nuts worked loose. I was gonna try that egg carton foam stuff and see if that works. The only other thing i could think of is glue a small piece of 1/4 inch luan to the rear deck for support and replace the felt fabrice stuff on the bottom side and hope that works. Well see I guess.

As far as the alpine situation. It may not happen to everyone but its happened to me 3 times so Ill never get one again. I likke there styling and displays but dont like there function. Oh and the car Ill drive over to help you is under construction right now. the system was recently stolen so its american idol practice in my car every day. Kinda scarey huh.

89AcCOrDmike
01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
hey mykwikcoupe tell me how the eggshell stuff works on the back deck, i was thinking of doing that exact idea for my back deck too! seems easy and cheap....tell me how it goes....

MrBen
01-25-2004, 09:58 PM
Yes the back deck is a pain in the butt. Sometimes if my car idles right, it vibrates. I get so irritated sometimes I just climb over the back seat and beat the hell out of it. Come spring time I will narrow that vibration down. But the newspaper thing worked for me and fixed most other vibrations.

lmao at American Idol practice :D