PDA

View Full Version : TW sensor?

johnwc723
01-24-2004, 01:05 AM
hey as you all probably know my car has the terrible gas mileage and im trying to pinpoint the problem

i was looking a schematic of teh "houseing by the thermostat" and there is a "temperature sending unit" as well as a "TW sensor" what exactly does this TW sensor do (is it the ecu's "what is the temperature" sensor?) also is anyone has seen either of these things around anywhere i wanna get new ones of both of them (as my car never reads past cold on the gauge)

rdn
01-24-2004, 01:24 AM
i think its also called ECT sensor...it "reads" the coolant temp so the engine gets the proper amount of gas. if its faulty, you should have starting problems as well...there are a lots of posts on the forum about it

just get another one from the junkyard and change it (located on the thermostat housing)

if your car never reads past 'cold', it could even be a faulty thermostat (stucked open)

cheers!

Vinny
01-24-2004, 09:29 AM
On the 89 LX-i neither of the 2 switches has anything to do with your temp gauge. The coolant ECT or TW switch you can get at any parts store Look at This Thread (http://3geez.com/showthread.php?t=3174&highlight=sensor) I posted what the TW/ECT switch looks like as well as the temp sending unit for the gauge and gave part numbers for each. If your ect was bad you should get a code for it. I wouldn't bother wasting the 29 something bucks on it

88LXi/87CRXSi
01-24-2004, 10:05 AM
If your ect was bad you should get a code for it.
That's true in some cases, but mine went bad, without showing a code on the ecu. When mine was acting up, the engine wouldn't start after being fully warmed up, then after being shut off and restated 5-15 minutes later, it would flood, starting problems, like rdn mentioned. But, the injector pulse width is only increased by a few milliseconds, when running, causing a slightly richer mixture, My mileage didn't suffer that I noticed. If it is bad, it's probably part of your poor gas mileage, but not the only cause.

TINBOAT
01-24-2004, 10:49 AM
...change the thermostat yet ?????

johnwc723
01-24-2004, 11:04 AM
yeah i changed the thermostat, im gonna do that again, maybei got a bad one? (not too expensive) well yeah so the TW/ECT sensor is for the engine, im pretty sure thke temp sending unit is for the gauge! isnt it? (they are right next to eachother on the thermostat housing)

Vinny
01-24-2004, 11:52 AM
no they aren't bent to each other on the housing. The 2 that sit at the top at e the TW/ECT sensor and the other is the temp sensor for the condensor fan via the fan timer/relay inder the passenger seat. The temp sending unit is on the back side of the therm housing. Once again read the thread I pointed to early, the pictures of the sensors are posted there

johnwc723
01-24-2004, 10:57 PM
okay from the other fourms the ones in the first line going down is the ect one
the other line going down is the temperature gauge one correct?