PDA

View Full Version : Starter spins and grinding, no crank!

mike king
01-24-2004, 08:48 AM
The starter just suddenly making grinding noise but no crank whatsoever,he's what I have done
put in a usded starter, something, no change.
rerouted ground wire
rotated engine
checked flywheel,no missing teeth
battery is ok

Help,running out of idea.
86 lx

TINBOAT
01-24-2004, 10:54 AM
the starter drive gear is not engaging....sure you got the right starter???....not positive, but if you put an auto starter in a manual car, it may not work....always check a used starter for operation before you install it..ie;visibly watch the drive gear travel fully out when jumping it...hope this helps.

87accordlxph
01-24-2004, 11:34 AM
Hey

Sounds like you need a new starter.

You can temporarly "shake it up" by hitting it w/ a rubber mallot until you can start it. The gears are messed up most likely that's why you can't start it.

Hope this helps.

-Mike from Sarnia!

Sabz5150
01-24-2004, 11:36 AM
the starter drive gear is not engaging....sure you got the right starter???....not positive, but if you put an auto starter in a manual car, it may not work....always check a used starter for operation before you install it..ie;visibly watch the drive gear travel fully out when jumping it...hope this helps.

If you put an auto starter in a manual tranny, the flywheel will start to cut into the starter gear housing. Trust me, I did this. The engine will turn over and run but it'll make a horrible scraping noise. To solve it just swap gear housings and you'll be fine.

mike king
01-26-2004, 08:12 AM
Its not auto start and the car is automatic.The second starter was from junkyar but its seems unlikely it would has the same problem?another posible I can think of is the starter's gear is sipnning frist before It can catching the flywheel due to bad ground wire or positive wire,is it possible?

smufguy
01-26-2004, 08:58 AM
have u tested the starter when it was just outside? If not pull the starter out and diretly jump it with the battery and see if the arm jumps out, everytime u jump it. If it does, ur good, if it does not, then you know its not good. Its better to get the ND starter due to their all aluminum construction compared to the Hitachie which was the plastic on top. I got the ND and man.... shit never froze on me. yeah i stole it from the junkyard and it was a remanufactured one and it was fairly new too. it had the sticker on it and all. :D