PDA

View Full Version : Carb problems, I think

ace12210
01-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I have an 88 lx. I have replaced the 02 senor. I am getting very poor gas milage. When ever you crank it up, it smokes and smells like gas really bad. When it idles down the smoke stops but the gas smell doesn't. What is up with this?

Mike's89AccordLX
01-24-2004, 10:01 AM
Is your fuel filter leaking inside of the engine bay? Or your fuel line? Check for leaks along the driverside of the car and underneath the car right under the gas door. What color is the smoke? Maybe you are burning coolant and think its gas. Let us know what you find out.

ace12210
01-25-2004, 04:53 PM
Well it only smells from the exhaust and from under the hood. The smoke is black. As the car heats up it turn white. When I idle it down to its normal idle(after it warms up0 it stops smoking but still smells like gas from under the hood. I am in the process of painting some of my engine parts for looks and while I had my breather off I noticed some vacum lines in the wrong places. 8 wasn't in anywhere, 6 was where 8 was supposed to be. 20 was where 6 was supposed to be. I don't know where twenety goes but I put a cap over it. I haven't got to really drive it since these changes. Could this have been my problem and where the hell does 20 go?

geofstan
01-25-2004, 06:44 PM
Line 20 goes to the throttle controller

accordlxi2.0
01-25-2004, 07:28 PM
i think you need a choke aglinment. my brother's lx had the same problem it whould also sputter too.
i did a choke aglingment and that solved the problem.
oh and adjust the a/f screw.

x3r0
01-25-2004, 07:52 PM
yeah, the choke I'd say.. u have to watch it to see if thats it, its pretty easy, remove the airbox lid, start the car and look at the choke to see if its opened a little, it shouldn't be closed, if its closed youl be suckin in and spittin out mostly gas, lots of gas... if thats the case, use a paperclip to hold the choke open just enough to keep the car idling smooth when cold (thres a lever on the side of the carb thatconnects to the choke, a little pinhole in it can accomdate a paperclip, and wrap it some way to keep the choke open maybe a lil less then half an inch.

Now for the gas smell u get if the car is warm... try adjusting your idle mixture screw.

I had your same problems, thats how I fixed it, common on our kehin carbs, the diaphram in the choke opener goes bad.

ace12210
01-26-2004, 07:37 AM
I'll get the choke fixed. Where is the throttle controller at? I can't find it on the diagram!

A20A1
01-27-2004, 11:30 PM
The throttle controller is at the front left corner of the carb. there should be a philips head screw next to it, for adjustments.

As for adjsting your mixture... I don't think you should unless you find that the cap is missing or the entire screw/needle is missing.

here are a few other suggestion.
If you can manage it remove the air cleaner and plug all of the small vacuum lines you disconnected from the air cleaner. You don't need to plug #17 or the larger vacuum hoses.
This way you can run the car (on level ground) and check the float level... you might have too high a float level or a leak at the float screw that could also be causing the gas smell... Replace old fuel lines if they are stiff, craked, or dired out.