PDA

View Full Version : Where can I gain more power and lose more weight ????

B20A Speed
07-04-2002, 06:27 PM
I have a 1987 Accord sedan. Im running a B20A engine with the timing advanced and the intake piping off. (sucking straight into standard filter box) am yet to do a cold airbox and new filter. Ive managed to lose a bit of weight by discarding the backseats and towbar. Im on a pretty tight budget for now as im studying and saving to buy a new engine. Im looking for any cheap (pref free - except time and effort of course) tricks for gaining a few ponies here and there. Im also wondering what else I can get rid of to lose a few Kg as well. (Im taking out the A/C and Cruise controll as soon as I can). Im not to worried about looks as im more interested in the best power to weight ratio i can achieve for now (untill my new engine).
BTW ive been reading the board for a little while now and have found the info and tips a great help. You guys sure know your stuff.. :D

bass
07-04-2002, 07:04 PM
Take out the power steering for both weight savings and increased wheel hp. Your in New Zealand and I don't know the laws there, but hollowing out the catalytic converter or installing a straight pipe is a cheap way to increase power.

NOAHS88accord
07-05-2002, 05:54 AM
go to the gym and start running :rolleyes:

just playin'

Noah

SNOrida813
07-05-2002, 11:53 AM
Does taking out cruise control even drop that much weight or free up any power? I thought it was just a tiny little box.

toastyghost
07-06-2002, 12:17 AM
He's not talking about the cruise control. Power steering is kind of like "steering assist"... so you're not physically turning the wheels proportionately to the effort you exert on the steering wheel. Trust me, I used to have a manual steered 88 Sentra and you would definitely notice the difference. :D

87lxi
07-06-2002, 01:28 PM
yo toastyghost i'm movin up to th burg this fall for school. we should touch base some time. my rent starts august 15th i think. i'll be in olde mill village. email me sometime if you want: [email protected]

later

gr3k0sLaV
07-07-2002, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by NOAHS88accord
go to the gym and start running :rolleyes:

just playin'

Noah

I can organise a Gym membership for him, if he's in NZ....and he's anywhere near New Plymouth, Tauranga, Tokoroa , or Mt Maunganui

SNOrida813
07-07-2002, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by B20A Speed
(Im taking out the A/C and Cruise controll as soon as I can).
Well he said cruise control so thats what i took it as.

shepherd79
07-07-2002, 04:42 AM
removing cruise control will not do any good to the power. it will reduce the weight in the from by who knows how much.
removing A/C is another cheap way to free up a few ponies. if you still have A/C on your car , i would recomend to get rid of it.
it will give you a few ponies plus you will reduce the weight again.

B20A Speed
07-07-2002, 05:49 PM
I did mean my cruise controll. It's not connected at the moment. I know I won't lose much weight, if any but i figure if it's not working then it's better out than in. I just dont like the idea of junk in my engine not doing anything. Although if I did have steeringa ssist then it would have been one of the first things out when i got the car. Those things can free up a bit of weight.
Turns out we dont have to have a catalytic converter, so that will be coming out in return for a straight pipe. Thanx.
Im not to big a a fan of the gym, the idea of sweating and groaning away on gym equipment when I could be out causing various forms of trouble just doesnt appeal. And as for running, I gave that up the second I bought my first car.