PDA

View Full Version : Cig lighter wiring

sccrsteve5
01-26-2004, 06:09 PM
does anyone know how the cig lighter is wired up? the wire coming out of the back is cut and spliced with a yellow wire on the cd player. and there is a red wire connected to the top and then one that leaves the same spot and is cut...any help would be greatly appreciated...or is there any other way to wire up 2 sticks of neon? i would like to get the cig lighter up anyways so i can charge my phone and whatnot...thanks

3rdgenlxi
01-26-2004, 06:12 PM
U can use the the hotwire from the cig lighter but i would not recommend running anymore stuff off that other than the radio, cause you might introduce some noise when the neon is on.

lightbulblxi
01-26-2004, 06:29 PM
just get one of the thingies thatplugs into it that makes it 3 sockets.

sccrsteve5
01-26-2004, 07:08 PM
just get one of the thingies thatplugs into it that makes it 3 sockets.

and that makes the actual power wires magically splice back together and have the cig lighter work?

sccrsteve5
02-01-2004, 11:54 AM
anyone? i wanna put some neons under my seats. could i use like the switch on the right of the wheel that makes the lights pop up with no light and splice that or no? i dunno...i need some ideas here

jlaccord89lxi
02-01-2004, 12:46 PM
it sounds to me like someone tried to fix the problem before by spliceing power from your stereo (yellow wire) to the cig lighter so it would get power. The cig lighter should only have 2 wires...pwr & grnd. That will give you power to your neons, but you should wire it up to something that is not ALWAYS on, like the wires that go to the light inside the ashtray, or another light on your dash that only comes on when you turn on the park lights. There are plenty of dash lights you could wire it to in and around where you are already looking at. Like i said, the ashtray light would be my first choice...then you're not messing with the stereo power and it will come on with your park lights. And if you want to, just put a switch in to the line of power so you could turn them on and off at your leisure. Thats my 2 cents :)

Bryan
02-01-2004, 01:03 PM
I have a thing that plugs in and it makes it so there is four other outlets.....I can put like three neons on there and then my phone or something to that affect.

sccrsteve5
02-02-2004, 03:18 PM
Thanks jlaccord...that answers my question...i wanted to keep that light there if i could cuz i need that sometimes but i'd rather have the neons. and i wasn't sure if it was powerful enough but i guess it is... i will get to it later. thanks

soljaboy2000
02-02-2004, 03:21 PM
My cig had broken so i fix it just rewiring it....I put a ground and direct power from cd player that way my cell phone is always charging. :D

jlaccord89lxi
02-02-2004, 03:46 PM
Thanks jlaccord...that answers my question...i wanted to keep that light there if i could cuz i need that sometimes but i'd rather have the neons. and i wasn't sure if it was powerful enough but i guess it is... i will get to it later. thanks

sccrsteve5: you don't need to sacrifice the light. Just splice into its power wire. Run that to your 1st neon's power wire...then that neons ground wire to the next neon's power wire...and so on...till you come to the end of the line and then the last wire you ground to the frame.
And nearly everything in your car runs on 12v power (there are a few things that may have power dampened down by resistors for whatever reason), but even the tiny weak looking bulbs run on 12volts. Just remember, if you do end up wireing it to that light (or any dash light for that matter), to leave your dimmer switch up to full so that the neons get the full 12v they require.
Glad i could help

sccrsteve5
02-02-2004, 04:02 PM
thanks. i am just going to sacrifice it because it will be easier to do it that way. there is little else to do to get power to it. cuz i also need to charge my phone so i need the cig lighter. but yeah, thanks a lot

N-Man
02-02-2004, 05:47 PM
i ran all of my neons to the wire for the headlights. so when i turned my healights on, all of my neons came on also.