PDA

View Full Version : What the f***!!!

mattalica
01-26-2004, 10:22 PM
my 87 accord lxi won't rev past 51-5200 rpm!when it gets there it starts to pop and goes up a little and down a little [rpm] and backfires a little but WILL NOT go past 5500.it has done this since i bought it.I know my timing is a little advanced,about 2 degrees,other than that i can't figure out why it keeps doing this.In all other ways my car runs great.Possibly related is my PGM FI light comes on all the time but never under specific conditions.it usually comes on about 5-10 minutes after I start driving but sometimes it doesn't come on at all!My car still runs the same whether the PGM FI light is on or off.Is it as simple as a short?If anyone can help me I will be eternally grateful.
Thanks in advance,Matt :bow:

k-roy
01-26-2004, 10:28 PM
You need to check your ECu for codes
to do this pull off the cover and count how many times the light flashes(its under the drivers seat)
then check this list http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?t=26342

NXRacer
01-26-2004, 11:38 PM
sounds like your fuel system is getting starved at that high of RPM. Maybe a clogged fuel filter or maybe your fuel pump is going.

shepherd79
01-27-2004, 04:38 AM
check the ECU for codes and fix the problem. if it still does it, set the timing back to normal. too much timing will cause the backfire.