PDA

View Full Version : Ahhh What do I need?

MrBen
01-26-2004, 10:34 PM
mykwikcoupe and I are going to replace my inner tie rod ends. I'm on Majestic

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=4DR+DX&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=TIE+ROD

and I have no idea what I need... at all! My mechanic just said "play in inner tie rod ends", so what should I get? What quantities?

THANKS

shepherd79
01-27-2004, 04:52 AM
are you sure it is the inner tie rod.
the way you can check it if you raise the car on one side and try to move the that wheel right to left. if you can fill the free play, i would say it is your outter tie rod.

Moodybluesr
01-27-2004, 07:20 AM
In that schematic number 9 is your inner tie rod end. To replace the inner tie rod, you are going to either need an inner tie rod end tool or a crow's foot (not sure which size) and a long extension (preferably 24"). As long as you have the right tools, it really isn't that difficult of a job. Since the outer tie rod end has to be removed during the procedure and they are relatively inexpensive, you may look into replacing them at the same time. Also, check the boots before you go buying parts. If they are cracked, you are going to want to replace those as well.

MrBen
01-27-2004, 12:56 PM
My mechanic was nice enough to outline the parts I need and give me a price. I went to Shucks and they want 90 bucks for inners and outers with all the associated nuts and washers and crap. I figure what the hell, I'll go to Shucks.

Thanks for your help.