PDA

View Full Version : Dimming Lights

mag_pbg
01-27-2004, 04:53 AM
Hey, I ave a slight prob. it's pretty damn cold down here right now, so I run my heater quite often but it seems at dark when I have my lights on and my heating running when I go to brake and almost stop my lights almost go off and my heater almost stops blowing, I have a system but I had it off for a good 30 to 40 min just to see if it was the cuase of the prob. and every once in while a belt will grind like it is cold even though my motor is warm, I thought maybe the alternator wasn't charging enough but it is only a year old, same with the battery. Do you think maybe I have a short somewhere¿

TINBOAT
01-27-2004, 08:47 AM
Sounds like your alternator is going bad, particularly the brushes...if you load them up with amplifiers an stuff, the brushes take on quite an electrical output load...a better way of insuring longer alternator life is to install a top quality battery, they store more energy (such as cold cranking amps), and do not tax the electrical system by the way of needing constant charging.

...just my $.02

TINBOAT
01-27-2004, 08:48 AM
...ooops...forgot the obvious....check your belt tension also..

danronian
01-29-2004, 01:05 PM
a better way of insuring longer alternator life is to install a top quality battery

I have asked this question before and have gotten the only response to be a dry cell battery, but they are quite pricey. Is there any brand of normal wet cell batteries that are better than any other? also, should a get a larger battery to replace the dinky (OEM size) one that is currently in there. I ask this b/c my lights dim when I brake and I have a small system, and the car has been slower at starting lately (which I think is b/c of the old looking battery with no age on it). Sorry for "hi-jacking" the thread, but I figured it was too closely related to start another.

shepherd79
01-29-2004, 02:08 PM
i bought my battery from Autozone. i paid $80+ 4 years ago. it still good and i have no problem with it. just remember, you get what you pay for.
larger battery would be nice, but i don't think you can fit more than 650-750 cca battry under the hood.

Blkblurr
01-29-2004, 03:28 PM
Sounds like the belt is slipping. When you turn on a lot of things that draw power it becomes increasingly harder to turn the alternator. When that happens your belt can slip if it's not tight or if it's worn. You will then hear thar sqeaking or whinning sound.

Hope this helps

mag_pbg
01-30-2004, 08:13 AM
thanx guys I will have to check that out tonight, if the belt isnt the prob. then I guess it is time for a new battery.