PDA

View Full Version : car runs too cold!?

johnwc723
01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
alright im thinking of doing my thermostat again here because my car i think really does run too cold but before i do it can anyone think of anything else it could possibly be that causes my car to run (probably) cold (and then theres the whole 14MPG issue)

HondaBoy
01-27-2004, 04:04 PM
well, my 3gee runs too cold. although it will warm up to a good running temp. when i start it from a cold start, it takes about 5 minutes for it to warm up. in the summer it may be a bit quicker. i thought it may be a thermostat problem but i havent done anything to check it. also, my engine is carbed and the hot air intake valve doesnt seem to work. i can say my car never overheats. it has but that was because of a busted hose. dont know about you poor gas mileage. i know mine wasnt too good, but since i had the timing reset, it gets a noticeable increase in gas mileage.

k-roy
01-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Too cold? THats weird. Did you use a 160 degree thermostat? I hope not. Or it could be locked in the open position not letting it warm up properly.
I say get a new thermostat and make sure its 195 degrees.
A trick I learn from living in the freezing balls weather of the north is to put a piece of cardboard in front of the radiator untill it warms up. Then hop out, throw the cardboard in the trunk and drive.

lightbulblxi
01-27-2004, 04:29 PM
my friend did that cardboard trick, but he would drive with it left in there, it was pretty cool, when he accelerated, it sounded like he had a turbo that was spooling up.

johnwc723
01-27-2004, 04:56 PM
could a way to tell if its really my thermostat be this:

Isnt it true that coolant shouldnt be abel to flow to the upper radiator hose until it is sufficiently warm? (to open the thermostat) does this mean that if my upper is warm-hot but my air isnt i have a thermostat problem?

TINBOAT
01-27-2004, 05:20 PM
cool upper rad hose means an open thermostat....if you start your car cold, let it warm up, hold your hand around the upper rad hose, you WILL feel a noticeable heat increase in the hose as the thermostat opens up.